U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2007, 06:18 PM

9 posts, read 18,559 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am very new to this. My family and I are looking to relocate to NC from NY in the summer of 2008. I have lived in New York all of my life. We have three children, ages 16, 12, and 6 months. We have relatives in Winston- Salem, however, we are trying to find areas that have jobs in both our fields. My husband is a Systems Technician (Voice and Data) and I am in Human Resources (recruiter).

We want a change of pace and are ready for the a house in the suburbs. Since we now have a baby (after 12 years), we want a family/children friendly neighborhood with excellent schools. We are use to commuting, so we wouldn't mind that... We have an idea of some areas in Greensboro(thanks to so many of you guys posting the zip codes) we need help in looking at some areas in Raleigh.

HELP!!!! We are totally clueless when it comes to the Raleigh area. Can anyone give us some suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 06:54 PM

105 posts, read 286,648 times
NY2NC -

It would probably be easier for you two (especially your husband) to find a job in the Raleigh area, but probably not impossible in Greens...in Raleigh may I suggest the Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina areas on the South/SW side? The first three are small towns, but are growing and aren't that far from Raleigh and have ...Apex is right down from Cary, which has TONS of stores and restaurants. All of the mentioned areas have the basics (grocery store, close to Walmart, etc) but have a small town feel. Check out the City-Data pages for these three areas for more information on schools, crime, etc.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:59 PM

169 posts, read 562,796 times
Greensboro would be closer to W-S, but the Raleigh area is only about an hour away from W-S.

I would suggest Chapel Hill or Carrboro-- great towns with the best schools in the area. I've had visitors from NYC tell me that at the height of the day, Franklin Street in Chapel Hill looks like NYC and reminds them of home

It's also an easy commute to RTP, which would be a good place for you both to work.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcd01 View Post
NY2NC -

It would probably be easier for you two (especially your husband) to find a job in the Raleigh area, but probably not impossible in Greens...in Raleigh may I suggest the Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina areas on the South/SW side? The first three are small towns, but are growing and aren't that far from Raleigh and have ...Apex is right down from Cary, which has TONS of stores and restaurants. All of the mentioned areas have the basics (grocery store, close to Walmart, etc) but have a small town feel. Check out the City-Data pages for these three areas for more information on schools, crime, etc.
Thank you for the info... I am going to research the cities that you have mentioned. Do you know how much a 4 bedroom house is going for in these areas?

Old 04-19-2007, 01:22 PM

41 posts, read 138,649 times
Default Suggestion - Wilson

My sister and her family live in Wilson, NC. It is about 45 minutes to an hour from Raleigh and is a growing bedroom community for Raleigh. According to what I hear from my sister, the schools in Wilson are good. Plenty of activities for the kids (my niece is currently into cheerleading and soccer). Shopping is growing in Wilson with higher end stores located in Raleigh or Greenville. From Wilson, you would be 2 hours from Emerald Isle beach and 3-3.5 from the mountains. Because of that, a number of retirees are locating there. Anything else you might want to know concerning this matter, drop me a line.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:47 PM

105 posts, read 286,648 times
NY2NC....you can find the basic 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath home in Apex and Holly Springs for around $200-250K...maybe a little more or less, depending on the quality of place you want, land, etc.

I see some in Fuquay that are a little below $200K, keep in mind though these are small (mostly new construction) homes on small lots with few, and in many cases, no trees or landscaping. Check out realtor.com.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcd01 View Post
NY2NC....you can find the basic 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath home in Apex and Holly Springs for around $200-250K...maybe a little more or less, depending on the quality of place you want, land, etc.

I see some in Fuquay that are a little below $200K, keep in mind though these are small (mostly new construction) homes on small lots with few, and in many cases, no trees or landscaping. Check out realtor.com.
I have seen some new construction homes by Orleans homes... and they were rather close together. Does that seem to be the norm in Fuquay-Varina? Am I being realistic with my housing budget or should I increase it?

My husband and I thought that we could get more house for less money in NC. Here in NY we would have to pay between 500k-750k for a 4 bedroom house, 2 1/2 baths, with at least 3000+ sq ft.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:48 PM

577 posts, read 1,282,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2NC2008 View Post
I have seen some new construction homes by Orleans homes... and they were rather close together. Does that seem to be the norm in Fuquay-Varina? Am I being realistic with my housing budget or should I increase it?

My husband and I thought that we could get more house for less money in NC. Here in NY we would have to pay between 500k-750k for a 4 bedroom house, 2 1/2 baths, with at least 3000+ sq ft.
It depends on the area you try to buy in, I know a house for sale in cary 3000 sq ft for 535.000 about the same as your area now. Its not as cheap in areas here as people make it seem. Do some research on your own to get the real lowdown before making a huge move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina