U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 23,524 times
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Sure, what exactly do you want to know? By the way, Hickory has all you are looking for already.
How long have you lived there? What is the "average" property tax? What areas are better than others? What are the advantages/disadvantages of living on the Lake? Are there many Northeners that have moved to Lake Hickory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:32 PM

5 posts, read 23,524 times
Default Storms?

Hi Jethro,

I was wondering, you know how different areas of the country has their thing to look out for or get used to weather related? What is the thing that needs to be of concern for Lake Hickory? Here in Myrtle Beach it's of course the Hurricanes. How often does it snow and what month would it usually happen if it does snow? And how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Hi Luke.
I grew up in Hickory NC (although I have been on the west coast since '93) and can tell you it is a great place to live.

My father still lives there and sends "North Carolina" magazine to my wife and I here in Phoenix, AZ every few months.

It looks like it has worked and we are planning to return HOME next year.
I'm looking at Raleigh myself because I'd rather not be so close to my old stomping grounds, But I would highly recommend the Hickory area to anyone.

You should also take a look at Claremont & Newton-Conover.
Not a busy as Hickory but only about 15 minutes away, and closer to Charlotte.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:00 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,512,453 times
Hickory doesnt get much snow, but it does get more than say Charlotte - usually. Ironically, last year, I dont think Hickory had any measurable snowfall, while Charlotte got 2 inches of snow in one storm.

An occasional severe thunderstorm, isolated tornado maybe, but most of the tornadoes occur towards the Piedmont areas and out east to the coast.

Tropical systems occur every now and then that come up from the coast.

We need the rain now, we are in a drought.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 35,135 times
Default Hickory

My wife and I just came home from spending a week in hickory.It was one of the best vacations we had ever been on.The people were very friendly and helpful alot different than back here in Massachusetts.We looked at property in Hickory,Conover and Morganton we hope to pick one of these towns to live in.We can't stand living in Massachusetts any more.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 PM

573 posts, read 1,618,212 times
Default Check out Newton, too!

My family and I are moving to Newton (a town right outside of Conover). I feel you can get more property for less money. We can't wait to get out of S. Florida.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:07 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,377,607 times
Hi, we moved from Naples Florida to a town just 20 miles north of Hickory called Taylorsville in Alexander County.

We love the area . . . we looked in Viewmont, but we wanted to be in a smaller town, with less traffic, lower taxes, but with all the amenities and close to everything. We found it in Taylorsville.

I can be at the Valley Hills Mall in Hickory in about 25 minutes, we are 20 minutes from Wilkesboro and Statesville, both have Lowers and Statesville has a Home Depot.

Downtown Taylorsville, where we live has a Walmart 24 hour Supercenter, Peebles Department Store, some restaurants, video stores, pharmacy's, doctor's, antigue stores, old fashioned shoe repair, Christian Book Store, 2 Really nice big Hardware Stores, doctor's, lawyer's, dentists, a big medical facility called "The Family Care Center", an a nice coffee shop that holds card games, etc. www.thespilled (broken link) bean.com.

There are alot of festivals here as well, and we have a really good library.

We love it here, everyone knows your name, we looked at the area extensively.

If we weren't in Taylorsville, we would consider Bethlehem, are neighboring town, still in Alexander County, but we like to be closer to stores.

We love going to Hickory, and we are there 1 or 2 times a week, depend.

Wilkesboro also is nice, and has a good hospital as well. This whole area is wonderful . . . I can't say enough good things about it.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 AM

219 posts, read 690,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Hi, we moved from Naples Florida to a town just 20 miles north of Hickory called Taylorsville in Alexander County.

We love the area . . . we looked in Viewmont, but we wanted to be in a smaller town, with less traffic, lower taxes, but with all the amenities and close to everything. We found it in Taylorsville.

I can be at the Valley Hills Mall in Hickory in about 25 minutes, we are 20 minutes from Wilkesboro and Statesville, both have Lowers and Statesville has a Home Depot.

Downtown Taylorsville, where we live has a Walmart 24 hour Supercenter, Peebles Department Store, some restaurants, video stores, pharmacy's, doctor's, antigue stores, old fashioned shoe repair, Christian Book Store, 2 Really nice big Hardware Stores, doctor's, lawyer's, dentists, a big medical facility called "The Family Care Center", an a nice coffee shop that holds card games, etc. www.thespilled (broken link) bean.com.

There are alot of festivals here as well, and we have a really good library.

We love it here, everyone knows your name, we looked at the area extensively.

If we weren't in Taylorsville, we would consider Bethlehem, are neighboring town, still in Alexander County, but we like to be closer to stores.

We love going to Hickory, and we are there 1 or 2 times a week, depend.

Wilkesboro also is nice, and has a good hospital as well. This whole area is wonderful . . . I can't say enough good things about it.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
We,also,are moving toTaylorsville.We will be there at the begining of July.We can't wait.We had started by looking in Hickory but once we crossed over into Alexander County We were hooked.

Melissa

Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,124 times
Red face Looking to move to NC, possibly Hickory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giarose View Post
Hi there,

We are also looking to relocate. We are looking for a family-oriented town, that has a small feel to it, but is loaded with shops, and everyday stores such as Lowe's/Home Depot, Walmart, a downtown area. We are in our 30's with 2 kids. I am wondering if someone would be so kind as to help me with a ton of questions I have for the area and what would be recommended for us to visit/research to move to.
I am new to this forum, so hopefully I do this right. My husband and I, along with our three children (ages 2, 4 and 6) are looking to move to upstate SC or western NC to be closer to our family (in PA winters are too cold). We love the great outdoors, but also enjoy spending time shopping, eating, and the performing arts. I've read a ton of posts suggesting areas around Charlotte like Mooresville and Gastonia. My husband is fond of smaller towns, but for me the most important thing is find an area that has a great school district. I am really interested in the Hickory area because of its proximity to the mountains and it sounds like it has everything for young families. Does anyone have any feedback on this... Any info., thoughts, suggestions is GREATLY appreciated. We will be traveling to areas around Charlotte, Gastonia, Hickory, Salisbury and Greensboro this weekend. Any suggestions on exact things to look for in these areas would be most appreciated also.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:16 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,512,453 times
Hickory has all the shopping and dining you could want. Hickory has all the major food chains and stores. Im not familiar with the performing arts scene though.

From what Ive heard from others, Hickory HS is not the best and is rather old. There are newer schools like St Stephens HS you may want to look into.

The city began to grow again about a year or two ago after going through some bad economic times. My uneducated guess is that this trend will continue because of an expanding medical field in Hickory, a place for retirees, and the citys location in the foothills.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 PM

230 posts, read 385,404 times
Mountain View !!! Mountain View in Hickory. You will find a great home in a great neighborhood there. Really. The name says it all, and the Bakers Mountain is nice for a little Hike as well.
also good there : Old German Schnitzel Haus (http://www.oldgermanschnitzelhaus.com - broken link)

Hope it helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina