Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,317 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I have been thinking of relocating to NC, and I like to now how is people there when it comes to Hispanic families, my husband and I have two small children, and ill like a place that is friendly to us as Hispanics and nice, we are from NY and would be a big change for all of us and i just want to make it a fairly essay transition for us, i dont want to deal a lot of racism...what would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:12 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
Are you looking for a rural area, a town, or a city? What kind of work do you do? Are you originally from NY? Do you currently have friends who are not hispanic, or do you associate mainly with hispanics? Do you speak Spanish?

Are you looking for an area with a lot of hispanics? Or does it not matter to you whether or not people are hispanic, as long as they are nice?

What are the important things about you other than being hispanic? There are a lot of other factors to consider in deciding where to live.

More important for anyone planning a move to NC: do you have a job lined up? Or are you wealthy enough that you don't need to work?

Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,317 times
Default Thinking of moving to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Are you looking for a rural area, a town, or a city? What kind of work do you do? Are you originally from NY? Do you currently have friends who are not hispanic, or do you associate mainly with hispanics? Do you speak Spanish?

Are you looking for an area with a lot of hispanics? Or does it not matter to you whether or not people are hispanic, as long as they are nice?

What are the important things about you other than being hispanic? There are a lot of other factors to consider in deciding where to live.

More important for anyone planning a move to NC: do you have a job lined up? Or are you wealthy enough that you don't need to work?

------------------------------------------------------------------
For me is more important to be in a community where we can grow as a family, it does a not have to be a Spanish speaking community, but does have to be a place where we are accepted, i am a Adm. assistant, and my HB is a Com. Tech and we are hoping to find new jobs, we are not from new york but we have been living here for a long time , considering that we are a young couple in their early 20s.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:51 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
In most places, most people are accepting. However, it only takes a few to make people feel unwelcome. The problem is, there's really no way to know where those one or two are. My suggestion: find the jobs, find a place that you like, make friends, and ignore racists.

In some areas, the schools might be unfriendly to your children. You can help by being friends with neighborhood families outside of school; this will help the other children to accept yours.

I don't know if you are planning on buying or renting, but it might be a good idea to rent until you know how an area works for your family. You might not have a lot of choices, if any, as right now the job situation is pretty bad. It's not a good idea to come unless you are sure about the jobs.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,659 times
Most people are accepting in most places. I would say the best place for schools would be in Catawba county. There is great schools, most of which have great programs. The students there are very accepting, and so are the teachers. There is also a pretty good selection of housing in the county, most are in good communities. The closer you get to some parts of Hickory though, the more gangs and drug dealers you will find, but if you stay near Maiden and Newton, there is barely any of those. There is also a large number of fun things to do near the area, including Carrowinds, an amusement park about 45 min. away, depending where in the county you are. There is a water park called cool park about 20 min. away, and Valley Hills Mall in Hickory. Also, Apple is thinking of having a data center in Maiden, bringing in new jobs. Overall, there is a lot of great communities in NC, but I have lived in Maiden all my life, and I havent really had a problem.

Catawba Schools Website:
[url]http://www.catawbaschools.net/default.aspx[/url]

Local Paper:
http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/home/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina