U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:57 AM

7,574 posts, read 9,705,709 times

Advertisements

Just beginning a search for possible relocation from Northern New Jersey. My husband and I live in a small lake community, 4 children, 2 college age and a 8 and 10 year old. Very high cost of living here. We want to make a move while the litle one's are still young enough to adjust a move away from family and friends. My 10 year old has already voiced his complaints. Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, tired of the winters here, my husband is in dental sales, and I am a registered nurse working with infants. I would be interested in a somewhat similiar environment from where we're coming from, above average school systems, small community, sports and activities, middle income, family-type community, beach or lake community or near by, friendly people, somewhat short commute to work. Am I asking too much? From what I've seen so far, Wake County has been mentioned quite often. Coming from a home of approximately 13,000 , would like close to the same. Any recommendations? Areas? Realtors? Thoughts?

Last edited by jeannie216; 04-19-2007 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 12:15 PM

26 posts, read 112,135 times
Jeannie,

Look at Davie County/Forsyth County/Davidson County. I live in Davie County and love the school system here. It is a 15 minute commute to Winston Salem. There you have Forsyth Medical Center and Baptist Hospital. Email me and I can give you some additional information on this area.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:37 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,438,311 times
Have you considered the Charlotte area? Checked the Charlotte forum on here? We moved from Somerset County (NJ)to Union County (NC) this past November and we're extremely happy with our decision!

A few years back I almost moved to the Raleigh-area, but I'm glad we looked into Mecklenburg and Union counties before ultimately deciding.

By the way, we also have two who are college-aged (neither relocated yet) and a 13-year-old and almost 9-year-old. They've adujsted beautifully to their new surroundings.

SL

Old 04-19-2007, 01:58 PM

Thank you! I will definately look into Union County, and will check out the Charlotte forum. Nice to hear your little ones adjusted so well. I hope mine do also. Are you outside of Charlotte? I'm hoping to find somthing very family oriented and on the quiet side. Also, my 10 year old loves sports, and keeping that in mind also. Jeannie

Old 04-19-2007, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 23,573 times
Can I get some information on Davidson? My husband is up for a job in several places in NC - one being in Davidson. I have an infant and a teenager. My older daughter will be going into the HS (Sophomore year) when we move. She is 14. We are currently in a Blue Ribbon School district -near Princeton, NJ. Questions: How are the high schools in that area? Are they on year-round calendars? What do teens do for social life in that area? IE shopping malls, recreation, etc. She is the one we are most concerned about the adjustment to a new area. Although she is outgoing and normally makes friends quickly.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:29 PM

Hello,

I'm actually doing what you are and looking to move so I couldn't help you with any information on Davidson. Sorry.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:16 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,105,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevmarb View Post
Can I get some information on Davidson? My husband is up for a job in several places in NC - one being in Davidson. I have an infant and a teenager. My older daughter will be going into the HS (Sophomore year) when we move. She is 14. We are currently in a Blue Ribbon School district -near Princeton, NJ. Questions: How are the high schools in that area? Are they on year-round calendars? What do teens do for social life in that area? IE shopping malls, recreation, etc. She is the one we are most concerned about the adjustment to a new area. Although she is outgoing and normally makes friends quickly.

You may get more answers under the Charlotte Forum.

With that being said Davidson is a nice small private College town. ?It has become a desirable area and so has the surrounding areas. The schools are not year round. There is plenty of activities for the kids way more than when I was growing up here. There is plenty of shopping. She should fit in fine. Any questions please let me know.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:26 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,438,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Thank you! I will definately look into Union County, and will check out the Charlotte forum. Nice to hear your little ones adjusted so well. I hope mine do also. Are you outside of Charlotte? I'm hoping to find somthing very family oriented and on the quiet side. Also, my 10 year old loves sports, and keeping that in mind also. Jeannie
Yes, we are in Union County, which neighbors Mecklenburg. On a good day, I can get to uptown Charlotte in about 45 mins. It wouldn't work if either of us had to commute there daily. But alas, there are other Union County communities that are more convenient to Charlotte.

Weddington, Waxhaw and Indian Trail seem to be popular amongst transplants.

Neither of my boys are sports oriented per se but they are both active swimmers, take lessons and participate on swim teams. My oldest has always been a natural in the water but my youngest only began swimming after our arrival here. In less than six months, with lessons at our local Monroe Aquatics and Fitness Center, he's become a great swimmer, who fearlessly dived into 8 feet last evening (of course, I almost had a heart attack ).

Good luck!

SL

Old 04-20-2007, 12:24 PM

80 posts, read 435,347 times
I just wanted to quickly point out that there are two different Davidsons mentioned in this thread. The first is Davidson County which is south of Winston-Salem/Forsyth County. The second Davidson is a town north of Charlotte and is also the home of Davidson College. So the answers may not necessarily go with the question, bevmarb, depending on which Davidson your husband is up for a job in. Let me know if you need anything else.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:18 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,748,227 times
Jeannine if you are interested in Exploring Union County, My realtor is awesome...Just Pm me if your interested...I can pass along her information, you might also want to ask her about Ballantyne which has great schools and might be what you are looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or