U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 186 43.16%
Charlotte 245 56.84%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-14-2009, 09:30 AM

1,052 posts, read 854,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire120 View Post
I can zip around Raleigh just fine for the most part. Cant say the same for Charlotte
So that's your beef with Charlotte? Based on your comment, b/c you can't zip around Charlotte the same way you can zip around Raleigh, that's why you hate Charlotte so much! That's to be expected, considering Charlotte is much larger than Raleigh, but I've driven thru Raleigh on several occasions, and Raleigh's no cakewalk either, especially around the Crabtree area. That area seemed more congested than any part of Charlotte I've ever been to, IMO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:46 AM

4,676 posts, read 4,565,306 times
For me, the biggest difference between Charlotte and Raleigh is downtown and urban planning. Charlotte seems more serious about dealing with these two issues while Raleigh seems happy with the status quo. Raleigh does have a stronger political scene than Charlotte (most state capitals and college areas do). However, Charlotte is no slouch when it comes to politics.

With that said, here is a video of Charlotte's more political side. In this video, some guy (an Obama hater) is trying to use Obama's pro-choice status as a means to gain support against him (he pulled this stunt during an Obama rally at that). The pro-Obama crowd did not buy it (duh!!!!). Over 60% of Charlotte voted for Obama BTW.

YouTube - Abortion Protest at Obama Rally

Charlotte is often considered a conservative town, but it really leans left. Even our own mayor got blind sided by Charlotte's true "blue" colors. Only the counties that surround Charlotte are "red" (these are counties I will NEVER live in).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 08-14-2009 at 10:58 AM..

Unread 08-14-2009, 11:15 AM

8,879 posts, read 16,793,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
For me, the biggest difference between Charlotte and Raleigh is downtown and urban planning. Charlotte seems more serious about dealing with these two issues while Raleigh seems happy with the status quo.
That's your opinion, which you are entitled to, however I think those in the know don't share it. Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory is a regular guest alongside Raleigh Mayor Charles Meeker on a local radio station here in Raleigh. Both men spend half there time giving each other props for the strides each City has made at improved urban planning and downtown living. The number of ongoing projects in each city is impressive. Whether it be Charlottes new light rail system and new condo developments or Raleigh new convention center and planned downtown amphitheater. Both of these cities have made and continue to make great strides at improving their downtown areas. One city may be further along than another but to claim one is less serious than the other or willing to accept the status quo is disingenuous at best.

Unread 08-14-2009, 12:18 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,746,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire120 View Post
I can zip around Raleigh just fine for the most part. Cant say the same for Charlotte
Nah, I don’t think there’s too much “zipping” around going on in either city. I can recall being in Raleigh for the week of the CIAA tournament and sitting in traffic every day on I-40. And of course, when it comes to transit, Charlotte wins hands down between the two. But I do give Raleigh props for already having started a second loop.

Unread 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
That's your opinion, which you are entitled to, however I think those in the know don't share it. Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory is a regular guest alongside Raleigh Mayor Charles Meeker on a local radio station here in Raleigh. Both men spend half there time giving each other props for the strides each City has made at improved urban planning and downtown living. The number of ongoing projects in each city is impressive. Whether it be Charlottes new light rail system and new condo developments or Raleigh new convention center and planned downtown amphitheater. Both of these cities have made and continue to make great strides at improving their downtown areas. One city may be further along than another but to claim one is less serious than the other or willing to accept the status quo is disingenuous at best.
I'll try to keep this short.

1) McCrory is probably trying to become mayor of Raleigh sometime in the future because his career in Charlotte is finished.

2) The number of residential units in uptown Charlotte being built per year out number downtown Raleigh's new units 10 fold.

3) Charlotte's light rail line carries more passengers per year than Raleigh's entire CAT bus fleet (5 million vs. 4.5 million)

4) Raleigh's new convention center is nice, however few conventions are wanting to come to Raleigh, North Carolina.

5) Raleigh's planned amphitheater is nothing more than a temporary tent. There were plans for a more permanent venue (kinda like Charlotte's NC Music Factory) but Raleigh leaders failed to sell the idea to a major music promoter. Charlotte's NC Music Factory hooked up with Live Nation BTW.

In short, Raleigh's downtown focus and urban planning has indeed improved over the years. However, don't ever make the mistake of thinking this sudden "improvement" puts Raleigh's urban/downtown efforts on par with Charlotte's. Not only is Charlotte way ahead in this category; Charlotte is also more serious about this category (both economically and politically more serious). There is no point in disputing this fact. Downtown lovers in Raleigh would "kill" to have some of Charlotte's political and business leaders. Let's be honest NRG.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 08-14-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Unread 08-14-2009, 01:01 PM

8,879 posts, read 16,793,071 times
Urby -

You are shadow boxing and nobody is there to cheer you on. Like I said, your status quo comment has no merit. You just admitted as much in you last post.

Thanks for making my point.

Now that was short.

Unread 08-14-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Urby -

You are shadow boxing and nobody is there to cheer you on. Like I said, your status quo comment has no merit. You just admitted as much in you last post.

Thanks for making my point.

Now that was short.
My "status quo" comment had to do with the fact that Raleigh's improvements are very subtle when compared to Charlotte. I should have been more clear. Sorry for the confusion.

Unread 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM

880 posts, read 1,259,886 times
Quote:
My "status quo" comment had to do with the fact that Raleigh's improvements are very subtle when compared to Charlotte. I should have been more clear. Sorry for the confusion.
Uhh. No one said Raleigh's projects were on par with Charlotte's... Man talk about insecure. Charlotte is waaaaay further ahead of Raleigh in the civic projects department. Captain Obvious to the rescuuuuuuuuue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 08-14-2009, 08:07 PM

444 posts, read 699,005 times
They are both great cities! Charlotte is making its way to the top of 'popular city' charts and Raleigh, not too far behind, is N.C.'s capitol.

Unread 08-14-2009, 09:19 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,646,489 times
Quote:
Charlotte is often considered a conservative town, but it really leans left. Even our own mayor got blind sided by Charlotte's true "blue" colors. Only the counties that surround Charlotte are "red" (these are counties I will NEVER live in).
Charlotte is more of a solid purple; not deep blue or bright red.

And why would you never live in surrounding counties, because they are "red"? I think those blue/red labels can be somewhat of an oversimplication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina