U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 195 43.43%
Charlotte 254 56.57%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
In short, Raleigh's downtown focus and urban planning has indeed improved over the years. However, don't ever make the mistake of thinking this sudden "improvement" puts Raleigh's urban/downtown efforts on par with Charlotte's. Not only is Charlotte way ahead in this category; Charlotte is also more serious about this category (both economically and politically more serious). There is no point in disputing this fact. Downtown lovers in Raleigh would "kill" to have some of Charlotte's political and business leaders. Let's be honest NRG.
I think you fail to account for the biggest factor in the difference between the state of downtown development in both cities, and it's not lack of political will or effort; it's job concentration. Charlotte is a banking town and the banks, concentrated in the core of the city, are what has built modern Uptown Charlotte. Raleigh, on the other hand, has RTP as its big jobs generator, which is a suburban research campus; thus, there has historically been less of an emphasis on downtown development as it has existed in Charlotte. That doesn't make the leadership in one city better or worse; that's just how things have developed over the years. One thing is for sure: as much as the pace of downtown development has increased over the years in both cities, both are still pretty much committed to sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 PM

7,737 posts, read 8,797,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think you fail to account for the biggest factor in the difference between the state of downtown development in both cities, and it's not lack of political will or effort; it's job concentration. Charlotte is a banking town and the banks, concentrated in the core of the city, are what has built modern Uptown Charlotte. Raleigh, on the other hand, has RTP as its big jobs generator, which is a suburban research campus; thus, there has historically been less of an emphasis on downtown development as it has existed in Charlotte. That doesn't make the leadership in one city better or worse; that's just how things have developed over the years. One thing is for sure: as much as the pace of downtown development has increased over the years in both cities, both are still pretty much committed to sprawl.
I'd add to this that nobody is sitting around in Raleigh worrying about what's happening in Charlotte. Raleigh's too busy with its own issues and growth to worry about such silliness. Besides, when Raleigh were to compares itself to other cities, it chooses cities whose intellectual and economic base more closely resembles its own. And, frankly, that's not Charlotte.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Besides, when Raleigh were to compares itself to other cities, it chooses cities whose intellectual and economic base more closely resembles its own. And, frankly, that's not Charlotte.
Well, I still think, despite their different layouts and such, both cities could still learn from each other. Raleigh can look to Charlotte in terms of downtown urbanization, and Charlotte can look to Raleigh in terms of how to successfully lure a broader array of knowledge-based jobs to the city. But I do agree that generally, both cities look to others as models. I'm not sure who Charlotte "officially" looks to, but there are a lot of Charlotte/Atlanta comparisons that go on.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 AM

4,704 posts, read 4,871,395 times
Quote:
I'm not sure who Charlotte "officially" looks to, but there are a lot of Charlotte/Atlanta comparisons that go on.
That's because present day Atlanta is the city Charlotte will resemble the most in 30 years. 30 years from now, Meck county could easily have close to 2 million people. Counties such as Union, York, Cabarrus, and Iredell could have 500,000 each (or more) by then. Now that I think about it, Charlotte could be larger than present day Atlanta in 30 years. I see Atlanta reaching Chicago's current size in 30 years BTW.

As for Raleigh/Durham, it could resemble the present day Twin Cities in 30 years. My question is how will the future growth of Raleigh and Charlotte affect the Triad? I seriously doubt the Triad will remain only 1.6 million strong while Charlotte and Raleigh sit at 5 or 6 million each. NC could very well have one big CSA of over 10 million in 30 years (a result of Charlotte/Triad/Triangle merging into one). This is doubtful, but it could happen if commuting patterns warrant it.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:21 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,097,962 times
I picked Charlotte just because it has more to offer.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
That's because present day Atlanta is the city Charlotte will resemble the most in 30 years. 30 years from now, Meck county could easily have close to 2 million people. Counties such as Union, York, Cabarrus, and Iredell could have 500,000 each (or more) by then. Now that I think about it, Charlotte could be larger than present day Atlanta in 30 years. I see Atlanta reaching Chicago's current size in 30 years BTW.
Actually, I'd say Charlotte might resemble Dallas or Houston more since those cities have a solid clustered downtown core like Charlotte, whereas Atlanta's is a bit more spread among downtown, midtown, and Buckhead, connected along the linear spine that is Peachtree.

Quote:
NC could very well have one big CSA of over 10 million in 30 years (a result of Charlotte/Triad/Triangle merging into one). This is doubtful, but it could happen if commuting patterns warrant it.
Gosh, I sincerely hope not.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:12 PM

1,052 posts, read 911,290 times
Quote:
Actually, I'd say Charlotte might resemble Dallas or Houston more since those cities have a solid clustered downtown core like Charlotte, whereas Atlanta's is a bit more spread among downtown, midtown, and Buckhead, connected along the linear spine that is Peachtree.

Gosh, I sincerely hope not.
I've often felt the same way too! I also see Charlotte's skyline growing into the same size of present-day Calgary as well. I've seen pictures of Calgary's skyline online and I can see Charlotte's skyline someday resembling that in terms of density.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:16 PM

27 posts, read 48,187 times
Charlotte. No question about it. Doesn't even compare.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:19 PM

1,052 posts, read 911,290 times
Quote:
Everyone, just be glad that NC has both cities.
Other states would kill just to have one of them.
I agree! Both are great cities and are indeed the economic engines in NC in different ways. Haven't been out to the RDU area in over 5 years, but I hear they are building up pretty well, I see Charlotte regularly, so I do know that the QC is making huge strides in growth and development. Both cities are indeed on the up and up, and people on both cities should be extremely proud of their communities.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:21 AM

4,704 posts, read 4,871,395 times
Quote:
I'd add to this that nobody is sitting around in Raleigh worrying about what's happening in Charlotte. Raleigh's too busy with its own issues and growth to worry about such silliness.
Oh really!!!??? Watch this video link from YOUR local news. Y'all talk about Charlotte alot up there.

Headline Saturday: Is Mass Transit the Triangle's Future? :: WRAL.com

If you would like to see some more detailed stories about Raleigh's envy towards Charlotte, feel free to let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina