U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 195 43.43%
Charlotte 254 56.57%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 PM

8,990 posts, read 17,557,199 times
Thanks Carolina Blue.

I wander what the Mind Magnet graph would look like it it compared number of peopal with Masters or Ph.Ds?

I think it may look slighltly different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM

882 posts, read 1,317,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thanks Carolina Blue.

I wander what the Mind Magnet graph would look like it it compared number of peopal with Masters or Ph.Ds?

I think it may look slighltly different.
If you look at the mind magnet chart, it is kind of not telling the full picture. It's only showing the now butchered Triangle metro, which doesn't include Durham or Chapel Hill. Just the same old Wake and two other counties... That chart would look much different otherwise.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 PM

4,704 posts, read 4,869,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
If you look at the mind magnet chart, it is kind of not telling the full picture. It's only showing the now butchered Triangle metro, which doesn't include Durham or Chapel Hill. Just the same old Wake and two other counties... That chart would look much different otherwise.
This is VERY true. However, if you look carefully, Charlotte has a higher percentage than Raleigh as well.

In this chart posted by "Carolinablue", Charlotte had nearly 9,000 for a MSA of only 1.7 million (the CSA for Charlotte is 2.4 million).
For Charlotte, this is 0.53% of the MSA population.

Raleigh had 5,000 for a metro of nearly 1.1 million (CSA for Raleigh is 1.7 million).
For Raleigh, this is 0.45% of the MSA population.

Raleigh's numbers would be higher if the entire Triangle were counted. However, Charlotte would also have higher numbers if Charlotte's entire CSA were counted. Also, I seriously doubt slower growing Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro will make up the nealy 4,000 difference between Charlotte and Raleigh. I could be wrong though. I would love to see these numbers for Durham's MSA. Also, I would love to see these numbers for Charlotte's CSA counties. My guess is, Charlotte would still be MUCH larger.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 07-28-2009 at 07:57 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 PM

4,400 posts, read 4,460,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
This is true. I’ve put those numbers below. And in the 2008 Forbes “Best Cities for Young Professionals” list, Charlotte actually outranked Raleigh (8th vs. 12th). And in 2007 Charlotte ranked 13th, while Raleigh was 17th. But no one every mentions when we beat them in rankings, the Capital Conspiracy lives!!! (I’m being facetious).

Forbes 2008 Best Cities for Young Professionals:
Charlotte #8: In Depth: Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com
Raleigh #12: In Depth: Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com
2007 List: Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

That is real neat. I guess here in NC we always hear about the well educated Triangle region and yet it in Charlotte that both, a higher percentage and higher population of people with bachelor's is found. And of course the Raleigh folks had to bring up Master's and Ph.D. LOL! It's hard to admit that Charlotte outsmarted Raleigh, LOL! (y'all gotta see the humor in that quote.) Still love for my fellow Raleighites.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Also, I seriously doubt slower growing Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro will make up the nealy 4,000 difference between Charlotte and Raleigh. I could be wrong though.
I think you likely are wrong. There are quite a few people in Chapel Hill and Durham with advanced degrees since those areas are magnets for academics and a highly educated research oriented workforce being they are the home of Duke and UNC along with all the high tech and pharma in RTP.

Honestly is this what we have come too? Debating who has more degreed residents? I feel we have started to run out of things to compare. Next I guess we will be talking about who's dad can beat up the other's guy dad. I think I'll pass on going down that road.

Hey, tomorrow we will have one more person with an advanced degree in the Triangle when President Obama comes to Raleigh. Maybe we should ask him which city he prefers?

Fortunately I really enjoy both Raleigh and Charlotte.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I think you likely are wrong. There are quite a few people in Chapel Hill and Durham with advanced degrees since those areas are magnets for academics and a highly educated research oriented workforce being they are the home of Duke and UNC along with all the high tech and pharma in RTP.
This is true. However, I seriously doubt there are enough of these people to make up the nearly 4,000 difference between Charlotte and Raleigh. I stand by my previous statements until I see proof that I am wrong.
Quote:
Hey, tomorrow we will have one more person with an advanced degree in the Triangle when President Obama comes to Raleigh. Maybe we should ask him which city he prefers?
Well, being that "my president" had a HUGE turn out in Charlotte (62% in Meck vs. 57% in Wake), I think that question has already been answered. Keep in mind that Obama had a higher percentage in Charlotte eventhough the overall voter turnout was lower in Mecklenburg than in Wake. Besides, presidents have to visit state capitals. Especially America's 4th closest state capital to DC.

Presidents also feel the need to visit midsized major cities (like Charlotte). The bottom line is Obama's reasons for visiting Raleigh are the same reasons why he would visit Frankfort, Kentucky. Obama's reasons for visiting Charlotte are the same reasons why he would visit Cincinnati. Here are some scenes from Obama's last visit to Charlotte.

photos courtesy of flickr

When a president visits Charlotte, he knows he is coming to North Carolina's "big city". Ask Bush why he visited Charlotte so much. Raleigh's newspaper certainly noticed a pattern 5 years ago and wrote a story about this topic.

http://www.newsobserver.com/622/story/229081.html (broken link)

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 07-29-2009 at 07:42 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Also, I seriously doubt slower growing Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro will make up the nealy 4,000 difference between Charlotte and Raleigh.
Quote:
There are quite a few people in Chapel Hill and Durham with advanced degrees since those areas are magnets for academics and a highly educated research oriented workforce being they are the home of Duke and UNC along with all the high tech and pharma in RTP.
Quote:
This is true. However, I seriously doubt there are enough of these people to make up the nearly 4,000 difference between Charlotte and Raleigh. I stand by my previous statements until I see proof that I am wrong.
Well, it's time to sit down. Durham alone destroys the 4,000 difference:

Forbes 2008
America's Best- And Worst-Educated Cities - Forbes.com
Durham, NC
Adult population: 310,128
Bachelor's degrees: 69,999 (24%)
Master's degrees: 34,640 (11%)
Professional degrees: 10,273 (4%)
Doctorates: 14,868 (5%)

And no, there are not 69K students at Duke

I'll say hello to Obama today for you.

[i](BTW, be careful, the city-data mods don't like you to post pictures unless they are your own.)

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 07-29-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Well, it's time to sit down. Durham alone destroys the 4,000 difference:

Forbes 2008
America's Best- And Worst-Educated Cities - Forbes.com
Durham, NC
Adult population: 310,128
Bachelor's degrees: 69,999 (24%)
Master's degrees: 34,640 (11%)
Professional degrees: 10,273 (4%)
Doctorates: 14,868 (5%)

And no, there are not 69K students at Duke
OMG NRG, did you not understand Carolinablue's post? He posted the net migration figures for the educated class, not the population of the educated class. Hopefully, one day Durham will make number one on that list just like Boulder, Colorado did ROTFLMAO!!! Only a fool would believe that Boulder is more educated than Boston. That link you posted was just one example of a list that is skewed towards places with smaller populations (because it is a percentage based list).

Whether you wish to admit it or not, Charlotte ATTRACTS the educated class better than the Triangle. It is what it is. I will most certainly admit that I am wrong when you show us some real evidence.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
OMG NRG, did you not understand Carolinablue's post? He posted the net migration figures for the educated class, not the population of the educated class. Hopefully, one day Durham will make number one on that list just like Boulder, Colorado did ROTFLMAO!!! Only a fool would believe that Boulder is more educated than Boston. That link you posted was just one example of a list that is skewed towards places with smaller populations (because it is a percentage based list).

Whether you wish to admit it or not, Charlotte ATTRACTS the educated class better than the Triangle. It is what it is. I will most certainly admit that I am wrong when you show us some real evidence.
I see what you are saying, but I don't think you have demonstrated that Charlotte attracts the educated class better than the Triangle. The only thing discussed thus far is the population moving to those areas with BS degrees. That is not a complete picture of the educated class. Not by a long shot. I would be very interested to see a real comparison of people moving to the various areas with advanced degrees (Meaning Masters and PhDs). I think only then can you make a real conclusion about the educated population moving to both areas. Understand?

While I misunderstood Carolina Blues post (I can admit when I'm wrong ), I really think you need to revisit how you interpret %'s and trends. There is some serious lack of understanding going on in some of your posts. For example: You Do realize that the chart Carolina Blue provided is for one year only (2008), it is essentially a snapshot in time. What happened in 2007? What about 2009? How about over the past ten years? Numbers like these can flucuate dramatically from year to year. You can't just cherry pick one year's worth of data and proclaim one city does something better than another. You need to look at data over the long run and the trends over time before you can even begin to draw such concrete conclusions.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 07-29-2009 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I see what you are saying, but I don't think you have demonstrated that Charlotte attracts the educated class better than the Triangle. The only thing discussed thus far is the population moving to those areas with BS degrees. That is not thecomplete picture of the educated class. Not by a long shot. I would be very interested to see a real comparison of people moving to the various areas with advanced degrees (Meaning Masters and PhDs). I think only then can you make a real conclusion about the educated population moving to both areas. Understand?
No I don't being that one of the Nation's largest biotech labs is in metro Charlotte. In time, this place in Kannapolis will only boost Charlotte's population of people with advanced degrees. Also, UNCC (from what I've heard) is the fastest growing university in the state and has been for quite some time now. It is projected to be the state's largest university by 2030 (maybe even sooner). Also, metro Charlotte gained a school of Pharmacy at Wingate University and a school of law (near uptown) this past decade. The Triangle is certainly the top area in this state for higher learning, but Charlotte is working hard on closing that gap. This much you can not deny. There are too many numbers "out there" that proves what I am saying. The net migration of the educated class was your first clue. Here is a video of a UNCC rave to help you understand the "Niner Nation" movement going on here in Charlotte. Enjoy!!!

YouTube - UNCC Rave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina