U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 195 43.43%
Charlotte 254 56.57%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 PM

7,741 posts, read 8,797,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Here's an interesting story...

Bobcats, Canes may trade spaces | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05/06/2278736/bobcats-canes-may-trade-spaces.html - broken link)
That sounds like two cities that are working together.
Oh goody....I get to see the Heat play in Raleigh. I can't get tickets in Miami.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 11:54 PM

4,400 posts, read 4,461,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
That sounds like two cities that are working together.
Oh goody....I get to see the Heat play in Raleigh. I can't get tickets in Miami.
It is good to see Charlotte and Raleigh cooperate. Perhaps this HSR in NC is not so bad. To bad the politicians in DC don't see it that way.

But on a side note. I think HSR would greatly benefit Charlotte and Raleigh. Charlotte as the business, financial, and commercial center of the Carolinas, Raleigh as the educational, high/biotech, and political center could benefit from this connection. Business/political deals could be met during travel as well as some relaxation. Less dependence on gasoline and its all done in a days work. NC could be the example of how HSR could truly benefit a state and NC would once again become the envy of the nation. Take that Ohio and Florida (sorry rn2mbfl).

Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
It is good to see Charlotte and Raleigh cooperate. Perhaps this HSR in NC is not so bad. To bad the politicians in DC don't see it that way.

But on a side note. I think HSR would greatly benefit Charlotte and Raleigh. Charlotte as the business, financial, and commercial center of the Carolinas, Raleigh as the educational, high/biotech, and political center could benefit from this connection. Business/political deals could be met during travel as well as some relaxation. Less dependence on gasoline and its all done in a days work. NC could be the example of how HSR could truly benefit a state and NC would once again become the envy of the nation. Take that Ohio and Florida (sorry rn2mbfl).
Go ahead and knock Florida. I wouldn't even consider living in any other part of it other than Miami Beach. No worries.

As for the remainder of your post, all I can say is that I have never seen this country so afraid of the future in my entire life.

REAL HSR would benefit the entire Piedmont Crescent but especially its two anchor cities.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Go ahead and knock Florida. I wouldn't even consider living in any other part of it other than Miami Beach. No worries.

As for the remainder of your post, all I can say is that I have never seen this country so afraid of the future in my entire life.

REAL HSR would benefit the entire Piedmont Crescent but especially its two anchor cities.
Without a shadow of a doubt HSR would benefit the 2 anchor cities. Its amazing how much travel happens between Charlotte and Raleigh. If time was cut to 75% of current driving time I think more people would consider HSR than driving. Which leads that all areas of the Crescent need to step up their public transportation game.

But I will save my HSR rant for the appropiate thread, but for Charlotte and Raleigh it only makes sense to have the states largest city connected to the states capital for obvious reason.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Without a shadow of a doubt HSR would benefit the 2 anchor cities. Its amazing how much travel happens between Charlotte and Raleigh. If time was cut to 75% of current driving time I think more people would consider HSR than driving. Which leads that all areas of the Crescent need to step up their public transportation game.

But I will save my HSR rant for the appropiate thread, but for Charlotte and Raleigh it only makes sense to have the states largest city connected to the states capital for obvious reason.
Or, looking at it another way, it only makes sense to link the two largest counties and two largest metro areas.

Similarly, it also makes sense to link Charlotte to Atlanta and Raleigh to D.C.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Or, looking at it another way, it only makes sense to link the two largest counties and two largest metro areas.

Similarly, it also makes sense to link Charlotte to Atlanta and Raleigh to D.C.
You're definitely on point about DC to Raleigh and Atlanta to Charlotte. This would only transcend NCs importance. However, depending on NCs political leadership, NC may soon get enough political clout to start calling the shots, given its population growth rate, rise in national political leaders, major corporations and their respective lobbying, as well as the rise of Charlotte and Raleigh I'm certain NC in the next 10-20 years will have a much stronger say in politics.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethoma View Post
Raleigh and Charlotte are both going to be great 21st Century American cities. East Coast, good access to beaches and mountains, warm climate, educated workforce, younger population compared to many other cities.

Each city may have some bumps along the way, but the positive momentum each city has built over the last 20 years is not going away, even if it slows down.

As someone pointed out, Raleigh and the Triangle will always have RTP, which is continuing to become one of the most nationally renowned research parks as well as being well-known internationally. Also, Raleigh is the state capitol of a rapidly-growing state. Even though the recession will lead to job cuts in the short-term, long-term Raleigh is in a very good situation. As in one of the best in the entire country.

Charlotte is always going to be a little more boom or bust (like most major non-capitol cities). Of course you have the cities like New York, Philly, LA, Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth that have reached Alpha or Beta city status on an international scale that really exist outside of regional or even national influences. Charlotte is a long way off from that level, but Charlotte is becoming a semi-major national player.

Charlotte was recently ranked the 25th best market in terms of economic output for the whole country. Charlotte has reached a critical mass in terms of being a major player nationally in terms of being a major financial center. Charlotte is taking major steps towards becoming a major energy center.

Charlotte will always be more dependent on big business than Raleigh. Charlotte historically has trended ahead of Raleigh in terms of growth when the economy was booming and behind when the economy in down. However, Raleigh and the Triangle have reached a point though where I think growth there will be comparable to Charlotte even in a good economy and better in a down economy like now.

Both the Greater Charlotte area and the Triangle added comparable growth numbers overall over the past 10 years. This led to a higher percentage for the Triangle b/c there were less people there to start. Raleigh did outpace every other city in NC, though, well above in percentage and even slightly more than Charlotte in terms of pure number growth.

Check out these figures below:

Top ten in growth in 1,000,000 plus metros from 2000-2010

1. Las Vegas, NV 41.8%
2. Raleigh, NC 41.8 (squeaks in a 1.130 mill today from 800k in 2000)
3. Austin, TX 37.3
4 Charlotte-Gastonia, NC/SC 32.1
5. Riverside, Ca 29.8
6 Orlando, FL 29.8
7. Phoenix, Az 28.9
8. Houston Tx 26.1
9. San Antonio Tx. 25.2
10. Atlanta, GA. 24.0

Growth of North Carolina’s Cities from 2000–2010:
  • Charlotte: 35.2 percent to 731,424
  • Raleigh: 46.3 percent to 403,892
Growth of North Carolina Counties from 2000–2010:
  • Mecklenburg County: 32.2 percent to 919,628
  • Wake County: 43.5 percent to 900,993
Pretty impressive indeed!! Outside of the 4 Big Texas Cities (SA, Austin, Dallas, Houston), I can't think of any other state that has more than 1 area that has experienced such impressive growth as have Raleigh and Charlotte in NC. Proud to call this state home!
I really like this post. Way to positive address both of NCs biggest jewels in its crown of many jewels. I find it interesting that NC was one of US fastest growing cities and a good majority of its growth came from Charlotte and Raleigh. Your data definitely backs this up.

I also think your critique of the economies of Charlotte and Raleigh is pretty accurate too. Great calls.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 AM

46 posts, read 34,707 times
I remember the first time I visited Raleigh... my friend, his dad, and I left Charlotte to visit NC State University while in our senior year. The first thing I saw when we got there were TWO signs in different areas saying simply "RALEIGH > CHARLOTTE!" I've lived in Charlotte my whole life, and not once have I seen a sign claiming superiority. If Raleigh really want's it that bad, Raleigh can have it.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 704 View Post
I remember the first time I visited Raleigh... my friend, his dad, and I left Charlotte to visit NC State University while in our senior year. The first thing I saw when we got there were TWO signs in different areas saying simply "RALEIGH > CHARLOTTE!" I've lived in Charlotte my whole life, and not once have I seen a sign claiming superiority. If Raleigh really want's it that bad, Raleigh can have it.
If you pay for a billboard in your city, you too can have one just like it.
That was not something the city did. That was something that an individual did to sell his bumper stickers, t-shirts and website.
BTW, the creator of this "brand" was the only vendor rejected by the City of Raleigh to sell his wares at Raleigh Wide Open III street festival.

Raleigh vs. Charlotte: This Guy is Giving Us a Bad Name | New Raleigh

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 05-13-2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 PM

46 posts, read 34,707 times
Quote:
If you pay for a billboard in your city, you too can have one just like it.
That was not something the city did. That was something that an individual did to sell his bumper stickers, t-shirts and website.
BTW, the creator of this "brand" was the only vendor rejected by the City of Raleigh to sell his wares at Raleigh Wide Open III street festival.

Raleigh vs. Charlotte: This Guy is Giving Us a Bad Name | New Raleigh
It wasn't billboards. It was just people's signs on their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina