U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 195 43.43%
Charlotte 254 56.57%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:06 AM

7,950 posts, read 8,693,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Well, for Gastonia, there is 74 that is quite developed. The devlopment along the Speedway and University City is quite developed and connected. Although I do see your point.
Agreed. The University area and Concord pretty much interconnect, much moreso than Gastonia and Rock Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 06:44 AM

8,190 posts, read 5,719,998 times
I do think that Concord's UA will be absorbed into Charlotte's before the others. Charlotte is directly adjacent to Concord and doesn't really have small towns in between them like Gastonia (Belmont, Mt. Holly) and Rock Hill (Fort Mill) do. It's inevitable that they too will eventually become absorbed into Charlotte's UA.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM

8 posts, read 7,284 times
I am coming from Cleveland and thanks for helping me to notice I didn't specify which C-Town

Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 7,284 times
Thanks 2 all who gave ur input ! Are any of you currently residing& working in Charlotte?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 PM

4,400 posts, read 4,469,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinabfromctown View Post
Thanks 2 all who gave ur input ! Are any of you currently residing& working in Charlotte?
Yes I am. I have been residing in Charlotte since 1997, working since 2000.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 AM

4,711 posts, read 4,884,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I will add to this quote by saying NC has roughly 13 Fortune 500 companies. 8 of them are headquartered in metro Charlotte. Keep in mind that Belk and Ruddick company in Charlotte are not very far from making the Fortune 500 list (Belk is 570 and Ruddick is 587).
Charlotte vs Raleigh: No holds barred!
^^^It seems that this Queen City know-it-all () called it nearly two years ago.

"Charlotte Adds Another Fortune 500 Company"
Charlotte Chamber

With the addition of Ruddick and the loss of Progress, NC now has 14 Fortune 500s (9 of them are in metro Charlotte: 7 in Charlotte, 1 in Matthews, 1 in Mooresville).

However, thanks to Domtar in Fort Mill, metro Charlotte has 10 Fortune 500s now.
Fortune 500 2011: States: South Carolina Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

It is fair to note that Domtar's corporate HQ is in Canada, yet its US HQ is in Fort Mill. Anyways, it still made SC's short list of Fortune 500s.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 PM

4,400 posts, read 4,469,377 times
So, I was looking at data for the total personal income between the US metros and I stumbled across something. Charlotte's total personal income is growing at a faster rate than Raleigh's. I figured since Raleigh was growing at a faster rate than Charlotte, surely it's personal income would grow at a faster rate than Charlotte's as well. But that is not the case. Also, since this is MSA, I looked at Durham's as well and Charlotte's growth in TPI outpaces that one as well.

What I find so intriguing about this is that Raleigh-Durham is known for being "more" educated than Charlotte and thus would have a higher income. However, that does not seem to be the case. Now, I do also understand that this is for just one year. But, I find this to be another intriguing dimension by which to compare Charlotte and Raleigh.

Here it is:
Slideshow: Charlotte area ranks high for personal income - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
So, I was looking at data for the total personal income between the US metros and I stumbled across something. Charlotte's total personal income is growing at a faster rate than Raleigh's. I figured since Raleigh was growing at a faster rate than Charlotte, surely it's personal income would grow at a faster rate than Charlotte's as well. But that is not the case. Also, since this is MSA, I looked at Durham's as well and Charlotte's growth in TPI outpaces that one as well.

What I find so intriguing about this is that Raleigh-Durham is known for being "more" educated than Charlotte and thus would have a higher income. However, that does not seem to be the case. Now, I do also understand that this is for just one year. But, I find this to be another intriguing dimension by which to compare Charlotte and Raleigh.

Here it is:
Slideshow: Charlotte area ranks high for personal income - Charlotte Business Journal
A few thoughts on this information:

First of all, Raleigh/Durham combined has nearly $66 billion compared to Charlotte's $69 billion. Yes, Charlotte's rate of growth is faster than a combined Raleigh/Durham, but the totals are similar.

Secondly, there is no way to determine what Charlotte's real TPI is. With Raleigh/Durham, all one has to do is combine the two. However, what does one do with the 700,000 people in Charlotte's CSA that's NEVER counted in these "so called" numbers reports? 700,000 people is a MSA the size of Greensboro (Greensboro's TPI is $25 billion). It's safe to say that Charlotte's TPI for the entire metro area is close to $100 billion (if not more than that).

Think of it like this. How many expensive homes are there in CSA counties along Lake Norman? Between Lincoln, Iredell, and Catawba counties, there's a bunch. Also, the corporate offices for Lowes are located in Mooresville. There are quite a few $100k salaries there that are not considered part of "metro Charlotte". The same can be said about the corporate HQ for Food Lion located in Salisbury (though Food Lion is CLEARLY part of metro Charlotte; think Food Lion's Speed Street). Also, the town of Kannapolis is located in both Rowan and Cabarrus county. Those that live on the Rowan county side (eventhough they may work and play near the Concord Mills area) are not counted.

The truth is that the US census screwed places like Charlotte big time when they took away true MSA counties such as Iredell, Rowan, and Lincoln (nearly 400,000 people) and replaced them with the likes of Anson (25,000 people). Charlotte's pre-2003 MSA would be 2.1 million. However, all we have to work with is a MSA of 1.7 and a CSA of 2.4. As a result, 700,000 working, eating, and playing folks are never counted. This is wrong wrong wrong. Look at the TPI numbers for peer cities of Charlotte like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Kansas City, Pittsburgh etc and tell me there isn't something wrong with Charlotte's numbers. How can our GDP be in the top 25 yet the TPI is in the top 35? I know EXACTLY how. 41% of metro Charlotte isn't being counted.

More interesting findings:

I just checked the TPI for Hickory/Lenoir ($11 billion). Look at how close these two counties (in gold) are to Meck...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...trolinamap.png

^^^These two are neither MSA nor CSA counties. Yet the bigger county of the two (Catawba) comes close to sharing a small northwest border with Meck. This map above shows the MSA counties in Red while showing the CSA counties in orange (with the one mistake of Chesterfield county SC, it is not a CSA county). Look at the distance of the MSA county of Anson vs the non-MSA/CSA county of Catawba. This is what I meant earlier when I said that the entire metro area is never counted in these metro lists. MSA Charlotte, plus CSA Charlotte, plus Hickory/Lenoir is probably $110 billion total TPI. Such an area covers 7,500 sq/mi of land. MSA St. Louis and MSA Kansas City covers 8,000 plus sq/miles of land. Just saying...

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 08-17-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 08:01 AM

8,993 posts, read 17,587,360 times
^^ I can't see the comment directly above since I have the member on "ignore" but I am willing to bet it is some convoluted and jumbled mess filled with misunderstandings and bad assumptions about MSA's and CSA's and how Charlotte has been wronged in someway.

How'd I do?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 AM

^^^Note to the OP. It's also safe to say that the votes for "Raleigh" would be fewer than the votes for "Raleigh-Durham". Probably 40% fewer votes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina