U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 186 43.06%
Charlotte 246 56.94%
Voters: 432. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-15-2011, 09:24 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,218,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Well... Raleigh has a lower unemployment rate, better performing schools, lower crime rates and a more educated populace. I'd say that it is doing more than pretty good.
True, but yet Progressive Energy is coming here and so is the DNC. But yeah, those are some good points but Charlotte is recovering. The sectors that hit the economy hard nationwide are big here in Charlotte. The financial sector, construction, and manufacturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-26-2011, 10:20 PM

So in the recent world city rankings Charlotte was ranked as gamma+ and Raleigh was ranked high sufficiency. Charlotte is growing it's international presence and Raleigh is gaining more prestige itself.

Unread 10-04-2011, 04:40 PM

8 posts, read 6,963 times
Default I am looking for an apartment in a quiet, low-to-no crime area.

I have viewed some apartments online near the Charlotte area. I think I want to live near uptown Charlotte. I do not want to pay more than $700 for an apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
"Best" areas depends on what it is you like. Are you looking for a yard or are you more of a townhouse/condo person? Do you want some place that's quiet, or would you rather be closer to the "action" uptown? Be very specific on what it is that you want (and the price) and there are quite a few folks that can help you.

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM

4,676 posts, read 4,572,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinabfromctown View Post
I have viewed some apartments online near the Charlotte area. I think I want to live near uptown Charlotte. I do not want to pay more than $700 for an apartment.
The bad news is that the only thing in uptown for that price range is public housing. The good news is that public housing in uptown look like these...

First Ward Place - Charlotte Housing Authority

Seigle Point Apartments - Charlotte Housing Authority

Both offer units at or below your price range. The only "issue" is that one must have an income range of $23-28K per year (if you are single, with no children). Here is the full list of properties available.
Open Wait Lists - Charlotte Housing Authority

^^^As you can see, the city of Charlotte has worked really hard at keeping itself affordable and nice for ALL income levels (one of the reasons why our "uptown" is by far the most populated downtown district in the state).

Unread 10-06-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
The bad news is that the only thing in uptown for that price range is public housing. The good news is that public housing in uptown look like these...

Both offer units at or below your price range. The only "issue" is that one must have an income range of $23-28K per year (if you are single, with no children). Here is the full list of properties available.

^^^As you can see, the city of Charlotte has worked really hard at keeping itself affordable and nice for ALL income levels (one of the reasons why our "uptown" is by far the most populated downtown district in the state).
I guess that's how you roll when you become a global city.

Unread 10-07-2011, 12:14 AM

4,676 posts, read 4,572,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I guess that's how you roll when you become a global city.
LOL!!! Yeah, that's still gonna take some getting used to. Still though, the Alphas are considered to be the "real" Global Cities. At any rate, Charlotte is in good company. That ranking places Charlotte as the 20th most important city in the US.

Diversity is moving along BIG TIME!!!
One measure of a city "changing leagues" is an increase in ethnic diversity. When it comes to the school system, Meck is certainly changing demographics.

White students now make up just under one-third of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools' student body, as African American and Hispanic enrollment continues to grow at a faster clip, new CMS numbers show.
Black, Hispanic enrollment grows in CMS; white students under one-third | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Here's the ethnic breakdown of each school...
CMS: School by school racial breakdown | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Unread 10-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
LOL!!! Yeah, that's still gonna take some getting used to. Still though, the Alphas are considered to be the "real" Global Cities. At any rate, Charlotte is in good company. That ranking places Charlotte as the 20th most important city in the US.

Diversity is moving along BIG TIME!!!
One measure of a city "changing leagues" is an increase in ethnic diversity. When it comes to the school system, Meck is certainly changing demographics.

White students now make up just under one-third of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools' student body, as African American and Hispanic enrollment continues to grow at a faster clip, new CMS numbers show.
Black, Hispanic enrollment grows in CMS; white students under one-third | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Here's the ethnic breakdown of each school...
CMS: School by school racial breakdown | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
Charlotte definitely has a way to go before becoming global in that sense. I would even say beta cities deserve recognition as truly global cities. However this ranking does suggest that Charlotte is gaining more international status. This also suggest that international organizations are starting to view larger countries with multiple several big curies ad important instead of focus on capital cities of smaller countries. This places cities such as Atlanta and Seattle in the same tier as Brussels and and Vienna. This new system of viewing things rightly places the emphasis on regional impact of cities in the US and perhaps an added emphasis on mega-regions.

As far as Charlotte and diversity it has definitely changed from when I was in high school but even here Charlotte could use some growth. I think the more that Charlotte grows the more diverse it will be. While its African-American, White, and Hispanic populations are growing other populations need to grow as well. Such as Asian populations, middle-eastern, and African. Also the foreign born population. I think where Charlotte stands now is amazing and I'm proud to are that it is one if the US global cities.

Unread 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM

I've been plugging some numbers as far as economic and population growth for several north Carolina metro areas and in the year 2030 Charlotte will be about the size as Minneapolis and Raleigh will be about the size of present day Charlotte. Their economies also reflect the same with Charlotte economy being about the size of present day Minneapolis and Raleigh about the size of present day Austin.

Unread 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM

7,472 posts, read 8,222,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I've been plugging some numbers as far as economic and population growth for several north Carolina metro areas and in the year 2030 Charlotte will be about the size as Minneapolis and Raleigh will be about the size of present day Charlotte. Their economies also reflect the same with Charlotte economy being about the size of present day Minneapolis and Raleigh about the size of present day Austin.
I'm curious about your projected numbers. For population, I am guessing you are comparing CSAs. For economies, I am less sure. Right now, the Triangle's CSA and Austin's CSA are approximately the same size in population. I find it hard to believe that the Triangle's economic output is 20 years behind it. If it's just Raleigh's economy, then I could buy that argument.

Raleigh's current 3 county MSA alone is projected to be nearing 1.9 million by 2030. To put that in perspective, Charlotte's MSA was 1.76 million in the 2010 Census. That is, of course, if the growth in Raleigh does't outstrip projections as it typically has.

If the Census designations don't change between now and 2030 (which is unlikely) the Triangle's CSA is currently projected to be 2,569,109 by the state of NC. That would put it ~165K above the 2010 Charlotte CSA. If Lee and Granville counties are added, that number is over 2.72 million. I suspect that Granville will be added to either the Raleigh or Durham MSA given the Growth of the Triangle and because it's adjacent to both core counties . As for Lee, Sanford is feeding more and more commuters to SW Wake County and RTP. With the opening of the Western Wake Freeway soon, I expect that to accelerate. I doubt other counties will be added because the Triangle & Triad CSAs abut each other in the other direction. Alamance County could be a wildcard though if the Triangle's faster growth affects its commuting patterns.
  • Wake County 1,414,333
  • Durham County 378,024
  • Johnston County 271,031 (this could be significantly higher)
  • Harnett County 188,250
  • Orange County 176,559
  • Chatham County 92,604 (this could be higher)
  • Person County 48,308

Unread 10-31-2011, 01:44 PM

7,472 posts, read 8,222,274 times
Quote:

This looks similar to the new public housing in DT Raleigh as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina