Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:31 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
^It's nothing against the Triad. It is an important area. It is just astounding how these two areas are significant. I think of the Triad as a bonus.
I consider the Triad more than just a bonus. It's an economic powerhouse for this state as well. Do you mind posting those same number for the Triad. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I consider the Triad more than just a bonus. It's an economic powerhouse for this state as well. Do you mind posting those same number for the Triad. Thanks.
Next time I got ya. I did a google search and looked up stats on the North Carolina Dept. Of Commerce, U.S. Census population estimates for 2008, and BEA to get gdp figures. At this point I want to focus on these two areas. More info will come detailing their significance.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Nice thread, but I fear you will NEVER get an unbiased poll result. The Triangle is the largest represented area on city data.

However, consider this true story. This past CIAA tournament, I met many folks from the Raleigh area down here in Charlotte. Some of them recently moved to Raleigh from other areas of the country (Maryland, Virginia, New Jersey). For many of these people, it was their first visit to Charlotte. Most were absolutely stunned by the amount of things to do here (Charlotte) compared to Raleigh. Some even said that "Charlotte was nothing like what we heard Charlotte was like back in Raleigh". Many went on to say "I think some of the natives back home (Raleigh) are just jealous of Charlotte's progressive image".

I used to deliver auto parts to the Advanced Auto store on Capital Blvd in Raleigh. I delivered to SEVERAL other Triangle locations as well. I remember one of the guys at the store asking me where did I have to drive from? I told him "Gastonia". He asked "where is that?" I replied "15 minutes west of Charlotte". He literally sucked his teeth, rolled his eyes, and replied "Eh, Charlotte". He said the word "Charlotte" as if it were a dirty word. He was a Raleigh native BTW (not a newcomer to the town).

Not to get too far off topic, but it is quite funny how certain civic battles develop over time. There are "Portland vs Seattle", "Indianapolis vs Cincinnati", and "Raleigh vs Charlotte". These are battles that no city will ever win.

I prefer Charlotte hands down to any city in NC. As one poster stated, I feel that Charlotte is still lacking in many areas (big city elements). So obviously, if I feel that Charlotte is still lacking, then just imagine how I feel about Raleigh.

I see Charlotte as NC's best hope of having an interesting "big city". NC needs one badly.IMO

Here are some of my FAVORITE pics of Charlotte. This is why I LOVE this city more than anywhere in this state. Enjoy!!!

Kick A$$ photos by James "DA FREAKING MAN" Willamor

No offense to Raleigh (I like the Triangle and I respect its growth and colleges), but the photos speak for themselves. Charlotte is the "big city" of North and South Carolina.

I LOVE THIS CITY Y'ALL!!!

PS, you did say "No holds Barred!" Adavi215 LOL!!! I hope this wasn't too much.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 07-14-2009 at 10:36 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 02:31 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Nice thread, but I fear you will NEVER get an unbiased poll result. The Triangle is the largest represented area on city data.

However, consider this true story. This past CIAA tournament, I met many folks from the Raleigh area down here in Charlotte. Some of them recently moved to Raleigh from other areas of the country (Maryland, Virginia, New Jersey). For many of these people, it was their first visit to Charlotte. Most were absolutely stunned by the amount of things to do here (Charlotte) compared to Raleigh. Some even said that "Charlotte was nothing like what we heard Charlotte was like back in Raleigh". Many went on to say "I think some of the natives back home (Raleigh) are just jealous of Charlotte's progressive image".

I used to deliver auto parts to the Advanced Auto store on Capital Blvd in Raleigh. I delivered to SEVERAL other Triangle locations as well. I remember one of the guys at the store asking me where did I have to drive from? I told him "Gastonia". He asked "where is that?" I replied "15 minutes west of Charlotte". He literally sucked his teeth, rolled his eyes, and replied "Eh, Charlotte". He said the word "Charlotte" as if it were a dirty word. He was a Raleigh native BTW (not a newcomer to the town).

Not to get too far off topic, but it is quite funny how certain civic battles develop over time. There are "Portland vs Seattle", "Indianapolis vs Cincinnati", and "Raleigh vs Charlotte". These are battles that no city will ever win.

I prefer Charlotte hands down to any city in NC. As one poster stated, I feel that Charlotte is still lacking in many areas (big city elements). So obviously, if I feel that Charlotte is still lacking, then just imagine how I feel about Raleigh.

I see Charlotte as NC's best hope of having an interesting "big city". NC needs one badly.IMO

Here are some of my FAVORITE pics of Charlotte. This is why I LOVE this city more than anywhere in this state. Enjoy!!!

No offense to Raleigh (I like the Triangle and I respect its growth and colleges), but the photos speak for themselves. Charlotte is the "big city" of North and South Carolina.

Your ONE opinion...

Both areas are fantastic in MY opinion. I'm just glad NC has so many cities period. NC would be boring if it was made up of just the Charlotte or Raleigh areas.

BTW it's Charlotte NC, not SC.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:25 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

I'm with you as well UrbanCharlotte, I love Charlotte more than any other place in NC as well. I also want to see Charlotte be the real big city in NC as well, and I believe Charlotte is on it's way. No offense to Raleigh or Greensboro, but those places can't touch Charlotte, Charlotte is on another level.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:45 PM

358 posts, read 983,064 times
I love Charlotte, don't get me wrong, but... where's the option for Asheville?

Guess we're not "big" enough? :P

Old 07-15-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
I love Charlotte, don't get me wrong, but... where's the option for Asheville?

Guess we're not "big" enough? :P
Nothing wrong with Asheville. Right now the focus is on Raleigh and Charlotte. See the stats that these two areas and the impact they have on NC. There will be a poll coming soon that will include Asheville. BTW a very nice area.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Urban, those are FANTASTIC photos of Charlotte - best post around here all week

Old 07-18-2009, 04:02 PM

27 posts, read 60,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Urban, those are FANTASTIC photos of Charlotte - best post around here all week
and these pics make Charlotte look a heck of a lot nicer than Houston (though Houston's downtown is much better than even 10 yrs ago). Nice pics. Love the Sabretts too !

Old 07-18-2009, 09:30 PM

I voted for Charlotte beacause I think it is more urban between the two. It seems to have the stronger economy out of the two, although IMO Raleigh has a more diversified economy and I like that. I know this is a small thing, but I think the skyline of Charlotte reflects its size whereas the skyline of Raleigh leaves much to be desired. Charlotte seems to have better public transportation, which is a good option on days I would like to save gas.

In order for Raleigh to get my vote the skyline needs some improvement. It doesn't have to be better than Charlottes but at least 2-3 more 20+ story buildings would be nice. If the Edison project and the Soleil center get built that would be sufficient. The public transportation would need to be on Charlottes level, plus if Raleigh and Durham could have a regional transportation system like the do in the tidewater area of Virginia that would really be nice.

Both areas have so much growth going on. The civic authorities needs to address the infrastructure as well as ways to help induce a sense of pride in both areas. I think Charlotte has a bigger city feel and it is time for Raleigh to look like its size, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina