Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 17,823 times

Advertisements

Just like LI Sal I too am looking to leave Long Island and move to NC. I am in my mid 30's and it bothers me that I can not afford a home by this point in my life. My wife and I both work and have good jobs but if we purchased a home now we would both need second jobs just to cover our bills. That is not a way to live. I want to go to NC specifically the Mooresville area because I am into racing. I currently run and enduro car out at Riverhead and I am a radio guy for a figure 8 car. There is no other place that could make me more happier. The climate is good all year round, I can afford a mortgage and still be able to live, I could finally start a family, I have a chance of getting into NASCAR in some way, and my children would be able to grow up safe and not have to struggle like their parents.
The salary is not much different from that of NY and when you think of certain things like taxes and fuel cost the salary will much closer. I just have to find a job down there before I could move. Sal, you are not alone and many others from the area are following. I am in Ridge where it's still nice but everyone is being run out due to the taxes and other growing costs.

Last edited by Andrew Washington; 04-26-2007 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 12:57 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,237 times
I'm originally from the Bronx then lived in Carmel, Putnam County for 14+ years before moving to Mooresville last August. As much as I love NY, I will never move back there!

We made the move for many of the same reasons...living on an NYPD pension, with jobs & still barely made ends meet. Taxes out of control (they've gone up $1200 on our house in NY since we left in Aug!) & nothing to show for it. No shopping in the area to speak of, the closest Walmart was 25 miles away. We looked around NC & found the Lake Norman area to be the best for us. DH & son are huge Nascar fans, that's why we wound up in Mooresville. My son's in 9th grade & doing great in the HS...he's adjusted very well to living here! The weather is nearly perfect, no severe cold or heavy snow. Best move we've ever made!

If you're looking for Mooresville property, my suggestion is to stay away from the west side of I-77 near the lake. Very congested there! Traffic can be very bad during certain times of the day (think Hempstead Trnpk or Sunrise Hwy where all the malls are on a Sat) The east side, where I am, is a bit more open & not as built up.

GOOD LUCK with your search!! I hope you find what you're looking for.

BxRosie

Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 AM

14 posts, read 51,411 times
The Huntersville / Cornelius area is awesome. I used to live there, and was relocated by my job. I miss it so much. It's on the Lake Norman side but not as far from Charlotte as M'ville.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,522 times
<<I'm being forced out of L.I. due to the cost of living and the high property taxes.>>

This says a mouthful....I keep reading but this is one of those posts that hits home..We have been LI homeowners for 28 years in Centereach. I have this love/hate relationship with Long Island. I love Long Island but hate it for what it has become. I want to go but I want to stay. When we first moved here our taxes were $1200 a year and it was a beautiful place but now taxes are almost $7000 and that is after a tax reduction and now with STAR. The taxes all over the island are outrageous and would be justified if we got something in return but we don't. The taxes more or less go to salary "adjustments" for teachers. One only has to look around at the potholes, broken street lights, litter everywhere, graffiti even on some new pvc fences on brand new homes, people dumping tires, furniture, appliances on the side roads, etc to know our taxes aren't going back into the community. Long Island has become a garbage dump and it really makes me sad. The grass always looks greener on the other side, however, and I don't want any regrets so we plan on visiting NC and exploring before making a final commitment.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:31 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
There's a big difference in the property tax rate within the state of NC. Something to keep in mind when choosing a place to live, especially for those who are retired or thinking of retirement in addition to the skyrocketing real estate values in the areas of high growth.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:35 PM

536 posts, read 1,693,746 times
Default American Indian and the tear! Remember that!

When I came down I could not believe how clean it is compared to LI (never mind the city!). Here they are smart, the Inmates are picking up the garbage every month or so!

Old 04-29-2007, 10:54 AM

161 posts, read 683,289 times
We relocated from St.James almost 2 years ago to the Raleigh area. The job market in the South is quite different than LI. No Unions and lower hourly wages but for a self employed mason you should be able to stay busier and make the same or more. There are so many business and jobs that make the same salaries. My sister-in-law is relocating with a para-legal job. She is starting with 4,000more than her job in Smithtown and it includes benefits! My sister lives in Ronkonkoma and is considering a move soon. I work with relocations and many of my clients really like the way Raleigh is somewhat like LI. Schools are rated well. Try researching www.wcpss.net for some comparisions. Moderator cut: Removed solicitation ("trolling for business" not allowed in the forums) Good luck getting out of Dodge!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Default Better NC area for 30 year old

Would a 30 yr. old single woman be better off in the Raleigh area or somewhere on the coast, lifestyle and jobwise (safety matters also). Does the coast have less to offer than Raleigh area? I hear so much about Raleigh and not too much about the coast. I work in administrative; and would LOVE to live closer to the coast, but I'm also considering Raleigh. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 8,401 times
You should be able to find a job in construction with no problem...don't expect NY wages. You can buy a beautiful home for $250,000. Schools are good, but not on the same level as NY. 80% of the people are great...which leaves 20% to hate you because you're from NY. It takes about 2-3 years to adjust...don't give up, hang in there and give your kids a great place to grow up.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:51 PM

15 posts, read 80,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishinandhopin View Post
Just be aware and open to the fact that NC is different in many more ways than property taxes and cost of living
That's a mouthful!

An NC native (Charlotte-an?) once referred to himself by saying , ""I thank thee, Lord, that I am white, male, Anglo-Saxon, residing in the state of North Carolina, that valley of humility between two towering mountains of conceit, Virginia and South Carolina ...". Now, that's typical NC humility for you!

After living in Charlotte for 10 years and nursing my son through the abysmal school system, we made plans to escape. He was sent home one day from 2nd grade for reading from a Ranger Rick book in the school's own library about how frogs pro-create..."offensive and inappropriate", they said. It seemed to conflict with the teacher's view of creationism. I guess they burned the book afterward.

I'd describe Charlotte as a truckstop with an overactive thyroid. They wear their born-again, "my church is bigger than yours" myopic theology on their rear bumpers between their Jesse Helms and Dale Earnhardt commemorative stickers.

Culture? They think that's an ingredient in liver cheese. And NC-style barbeque is on the rise as a staple while possums are becoming an increasingly endangered species -- there may be a connection.

In the '80s, my family and I were air-lifted out from Tammy Fay Interstate Airfield or whatever it's called and we've never been back.

But if you go, I wish you all the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina