Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 13,045 times

Advertisements

I'm being forced out of L.I. due to the cost of living and the high property taxes. Both my wife and I are in our early 30's with 2 kids 6and 11 I own my bz, but not doing well and had to go to work for my brother in law who owns a masonary co. which is also not doing well here on long Island like alot of small bz also, and may have to close its doors due to high taxes. WE love LONG Island and what it has to offer, but if I stay the chances is that we may loose our home we can afford the mortage, but the taxes is what killing us here in Ronkonkoma. If I were to sell my home in todays slow market, and moved to N.C. I can purchase a home for $250000.in full and still have about$80.000 for a nest egg.
But will I be able to find a Construction job in N.C. or a job in home depot or lowes?I hear the pay rate is about $12.00 p/hr here on L.I. blue coller is tops $16.00 p/hr maybe the $12.oo in N.C. is 'nt that bad since the cost of living is less and i would not have a mortage to worry about. Like any parent we are just concern for our childrens future and L.I. rigth now is getting too expensive they won't be able to purchase a home even at its low's of $400.000 with taxes over $10.000 a yr. and mortage pmts.
Again we love Long Island, but the american dream that we work so hard for can become the american nigthmare. so we need to make a choice and we can use some help in the areas we are looking in.
Can you give us some insigth we are looking in Moorsvill N.C. Concord N.C. Statesville N.C. and Denver N.C.

Thanks
L.I. Sal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 AM

123 posts, read 511,490 times
S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long island Sal View Post
I'm being forced out of L.I. due to the cost of living and the high property taxes. Both my wife and I are in our early 30's with 2 kids 6and 11 I own my bz, but not doing well and had to go to work for my brother in law who owns a masonary co. which is also not doing well here on long Island like alot of small bz also, and may have to close its doors due to high taxes. WE love LONG Island and what it has to offer, but if I stay the chances is that we may loose our home we can afford the mortage, but the taxes is what killing us here in Ronkonkoma. If I were to sell my home in todays slow market, and moved to N.C. I can purchase a home for $250000.in full and still have about$80.000 for a nest egg.
But will I be able to find a Construction job in N.C. or a job in home depot or lowes?I hear the pay rate is about $12.00 p/hr here on L.I. blue coller is tops $16.00 p/hr maybe the $12.oo in N.C. is 'nt that bad since the cost of living is less and i would not have a mortage to worry about. Like any parent we are just concern for our childrens future and L.I. rigth now is getting too expensive they won't be able to purchase a home even at its low's of $400.000 with taxes over $10.000 a yr. and mortage pmts.
Again we love Long Island, but the american dream that we work so hard for can become the american nigthmare. so we need to make a choice and we can use some help in the areas we are looking in.
Can you give us some insigth we are looking in Moorsvill N.C. Concord N.C. Statesville N.C. and Denver N.C.

Thanks
L.I. Sal
Hello Sal,
Do a little homework on Moore County. If you play any golf, you know the name Pinehurst. Women's US Open is being played in Southern Pines. 42 golf courses in just this county!
We have a Lowes, construction is booming and the quality of life is great. Schools are great too. 250K gets you a great home anywhere in the county (probably with an in-ground pool). And probably on a golf course.
I'm in a developement of 77 homes, 2 ponds. I have 3br, 2ba, 2car garage, central heat/air and 3/4 acre. (mostly longleaf pines). My total taxes? $700 per year. All electric house and the "power bill" runs @ $120 per month.
We're 60 miles south of Raleigh, 60 miles East of Charlotte, 35 miles west of Fayetteville, and 2.5 hours from the beach.
We're not out in "the sticks" . 10 theatre multiplex, bowling alley, Best Buy, Starbucks, and every "fast food" you can think of. Your children wouldn't be lost! Traffic is "heavy" at peak times, but nothing like LI. Lots for kids to do.
Do some homework - Moore County, Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Aberdeen<
PM me if you're interested, I'm from Westchester and been here for 15 years. Hate to go back, even just for visits.
jjc

Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 PM

31 posts, read 103,259 times
Having fun is right, lots of amenities there and the price is still good. We are in Sanford, 30 min north of Southern Pines. Construction is heavy here as well due to the bypass and influx of population. Fortunately we bought some farm land when we got here and have some to sell now. We left NY in '81. The house we live in is about 4,000 sq ft on 2 acres and the taxes are about 1,400 a year.

Regards,
Chuck

Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 AM

77 posts, read 271,984 times
I hear ya'! We are currently looking for property in NC too. We are in NJ and feel the same way you do. We pay entirely too much and have to work multiple jobs. For what? The privalege of living the rat race. It's frustrating to pay $10,000 a year in taxes, and have no city utilities, no sidewalks or streetlights, and we only got a full time police force within the last 4 years. We are fortunate like yourselves... we can sell here and buy in NC and have little or no mortgage. We agree it's time to make a "life change". We want a slower pace, friendlier people, and no huge bills hanging over our head. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 10,412 times
If you are looking to have the ocean & sound close by then you might want to research Camden, Currituck & Dare counties. Camden is ranked the 8th fastest growing counties in America, you can do business there but you’ll want to live in neighboring Currituck County where the tax base is only .34 per $100...yeah!

I’ve been slowing sliding down the east coast since I graduated from Sachem, but I think I’ve found my landing pad. If I want crowds & good food I just head to the VA beach or Nags Head in the summer. My brother got the LI Blues & moved to Florida, lasted about a year in Orlando (told ya’ so!). He’s been here about six months now building new homes & loving life.

Just a thought, I leave it with you.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long island Sal View Post

Thanks
L.I. Sal
If you want a large metro, these Charlotte area towns you listed are nice. I'd choose Concord, though. The schools are good, homes/taxes affordabe, and the commute into Charlotte is a little easier. If you want a small town atmosphere, as the above posts stated, Southern Pines is a very nice choice. Good luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:00 AM

59 posts, read 284,215 times
Default hi sal

hi sal!
i have pals on LI who sure feel your pain!
just wanted to put in a word for you to check out the triangle - raleigh/durham/chapel hill - area.
there is a separate forum for that area on this site.
you'll see lots of other posts from long islanders!
hopefully you'll get to the point where you feel like you are going someplace better, instead of feeling forced out of LI.
a few trips to NC will probably do that for you!
best wishes!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Default Hard to believe but true....

I, a lifelong Yankee fan, agree with Redsoxwalking.

I'm in the process of relocating from Long Island to Raleigh. In doing all of our research and site visits it became clear to us that Raleigh was better aligned with our expectations and needs.

Charlotte, while quite contemporary in it's own way, is still more of a southern city. True there are many transplanted folks from around the country but not quite like Raleigh. If you want something that looks and feels familiar and where there are enough people who either are like you or are familiar with people like you, Raleigh is a better place to focus. There are a significant enough number of transplanted New Yorkers there so that you and your family will blend.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:37 AM

536 posts, read 1,693,248 times
Default All the Right moves!

Hi Long island Sal,

I too moved down here a little over a year ago, originally from Hauppauge, then Wantagh. I miss the beach, but that is about it. You will be doing the right thing coming down here. All those areas are nice (some rural) I live in South Charlotte (actually Union County), check this area out too! PM me if you need assistance! And Good Luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 AM

14 posts, read 93,524 times
Just be aware and open to the fact that NC is different in many more ways than property taxes and cost of living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina