Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 AM

174 posts, read 569,198 times

Advertisements

Trianglegrrrls would be a better place to ask this. My partner and I are out in the country so we have limited knowledge of the urban scene. I am told that North Durham is very popular. 9th Street in Durham seems to be a cafe/dining destination. Carrboro has walkable dining, cafe's and entertainment as does Chapel Hill (but lots of college kids). All are very gay friendly. Carrboro had a gay mayor for 10 years.

Pride is coming up on September 26, 2009. The Parade here is (compared to major cities) adorable and well worth a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 01:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodis33 View Post
I am a professional female that travels a lot for work and am considering moving to the Triangle area. Looking for neighborhoods that are gay/lesbian friendly, have some character, and plenty of good dining, cafes, coffee shops. Suggestions? Experiences?
If you've got it narrowed to the Triangle area, then come to the Triangle forum (not the "general NC" one). But to answer your question, there aren't really any parts of the Triangle that are gay-hostile overall, though some of the more rural/blue collar areas such as Garner or Wendell (which I can't imagine you moving to in the first place) might not be so welcoming. But any of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Hillsborough, or Cary should be fine.

Durham has always tended to me more of a "gals' town" while Raleigh was more of a "boys' Town" as far as the gay communities and networks, but that's not to say there aren't plenty of both, in both. This metro area has appeared on lists of "best places for gay professionals" in the past. If you travel a lot for work, you're going to want to be near the airport, which means North Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, or Southern Durham--but these are more of the "suburb" type places.

"Character" + proximity to cafes etc says to me Chapel Hill or Carrboro, near downtown Raleigh, or parts of Durham especially near Duke/Ninth Street. The climate for GLBT folk is not something to worry about in the region at large, though.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,023,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you travel a lot for work, you're going to want to be near the airport, which means North Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, or Southern Durham--but these are more of the "suburb" type places.
The airport is central to the metro and not incovenient to DT Raleigh, DT Durham, Chapel Hill or Cary. I wouldn't live close to the airport for that reason alone. It only takes me 12-15 minutes to get there from DT Raleigh. I imagine the same is true for Durham (though you do have to pass through RTP to get there via I-40). Chapel Hill is probably 20 minutes from the airport.
In the end, I think the airport is convenient enough to not worry about it. In many metro areas, getting to the airport might take an hour or so. That's just not the case for most of the Triangle.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:16 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,164,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
"Character" + proximity to cafes etc says to me Chapel Hill or Carrboro, near downtown Raleigh, or parts of Durham especially near Duke/Ninth Street. The climate for GLBT folk is not something to worry about in the region at large, though.
I would agree. Carrboro elected NC's first openly Gay mayor close to 20 years ago. This is a broad generalization but generally the Eastern side of NC is better educated and more progressive than the Western side. Exceptions do exist. Before anyone shoots me for making that statement I do live in Charlotte which is in the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina