Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 31,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Thanks for your kind words.

I am almost certain that social security is not reportable (in other words you can collect social security while being on unemployment), but let me check when I go to work tomorrow and I'll get back to you for sure.
thank you, jdljr, and i look forward to hearing back from you with a confirmation regarding drawing both (Soc.Security & Unemployment). It is so kind of you to work a full-time job and deal with this stuff on the job all day; then help us in your off time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 04:55 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catco View Post
jdljr, you have been so very kind to help me and others with our questions and I've been singing your praises everywhere I go. Therfore I hope you do not mind that a friend of mine has a question he wanted me to post. He, like the rest of us, lost his job after working for the same company for 20+ years. He is collecting unemployment....and according to the rules and the formulas, base period earning calculation, etc that you have provided us, I have helped him figure his chances of going into a new benefit year and it appears to him and to me that he is going to qualify for a new benefit year once his current year ends, which is soon.

Now the question: My friend is 62-1/2 years old, so he could go ahead and start drawing early social security. It was not his intention to start drawing until he could collect his full amount of Social Security, which is age 66. However, now he is worried that he is not going to find employment (mainly because his age is a hindrance--employers might say they don't, but they DO discriminate against age). Anyway, the question is: Can he collect both unemployment and Social Security? Of course he knows he will have to continue searching for work and if he lucks up and finds a job, then he may end up making over the limit (for social security, which is around $14,000/yr) and have to pay back some of the social security earnings, but he's considering taking this risk...that is, if he is allowed to draw both (unemployment compensation and social security).

Thank you in advance for your help. You have put a lot of minds at ease by so graciously and patiently explaining this complicated issue of unemployment to us. Thank you again!
I checked today at work and, just as I thought, the receipt of Social Security benefits is not reportable while receiving unemployment. So you can collect both simultaneously.

Last edited by jdljr; 11-12-2009 at 05:09 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvitek View Post
HR 3548 has a serious mistake in it which undoubtedly will require further legislation to fix it. The ESC folks in California have recently brought the T4 mistake to the attention of senior congress leaders this week.

It is not possible for anyone to qualify for T4 (up to a 6week extension) of the recently passed emergency unemployment law HR 3548. The reason is that this is true is because there are only 8 weeks left before 2010 starts and you must be enrolled in a new tier before 2010 to collect on it. You can collect on T3 (up to 14 weeks) but when this runs out, you will be well into 2010 and thus not be able to collect on T4 as the enrollement deadline had passed.

JDLjr - what is your thoughts on this "mistake"?
Thanks for this info. I don't have any thoughts on it right now, as it all just seems to get more and more convoluted. It really needs to be studied to ensure that the intention of the extension is what's actually going to happen.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
Wow! Great q&a. I have another question. I was unemployed in Nov 2008. I recieved 21 original weeks, 16 Tier 1 and 10.5 Tier 2. My benefit year ends Nov. 14. On Nov. 10 I recieved a letter telling me I am monetarily elibible for EB (about 16.5 weeks)YEAH! Still hoping for a job offer though!
My question is this. Does this letter saying I am monetarily eligible also mean they have established a new benefit year? Or do I still need to do something. Should I file for a new claim?

Thanks in advance for your time and patience.
No, the ESC does not automatically establish new benefit years for claimants. You will have to establish one AFTER November 14 if your intention is to continue collecting benefits. And if you can qualify for a new, regular UI claim on your new benefit year, then any remaining EB on your old benefit year just goes away. If you can't qualify for a new, regular UI claim on your new benefit year, then they'll establish a new benefit year for you for purposes of going back and collecting any unused extension money on your old benefit year.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnte View Post
I stopped by my local office this week to inquire about the new extension. My eb ran out in August. The office was packed! The staff rep said to wait for a letter from them.

If I missed the answer(s) to my questions I apologize.

My question(s):
Has NC sent out determination letters for the new extension?

I've checked the NC ESC website and the only update I see is a copy of the new extension bill.

Do we know if or when the site will be able to begin processing weekly claims for the new extension?

It looks like per the bill that this week ending, nov 14th would be the first eligible week.

And if/when we do receive a determination letter will we simply go to the website and file our weekly certification like we normally do?

And with this Noreaster - we had no mail service today.

Thanks all in advance for your time and thanks also for the information already posted.
As far as I know, no letters have yet gone out. Not sure when that will happen. We haven't yet received any official word about who will qualify, etc. My guess would be that they will augment any claims that are eligible for the new extension and you will just go about continuing to file weekly certifications. I'm not sure, but you may be required to go and re-open your claim if it's been too long since your last certification. Not sure that anything the ESC will do regarding the new extension will get claims that have gone inactive back into pay status.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM

177 posts, read 304,463 times
Quote:
No, the ESC does not automatically establish new benefit years for claimants. You will have to establish one AFTER November 14 if your intention is to continue collecting benefits. And if you can qualify for a new, regular UI claim on your new benefit year, then any remaining EB on your old benefit year just goes away. If you can't qualify for a new, regular UI claim on your new benefit year, then they'll establish a new benefit year for you for purposes of going back and collecting any unused extension money on your old benefit year.

Can I refile online like I did originally or do I need to go into the office?

Again, Thank You!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars2 View Post
Does anyone know what active issues means on the benefit profile page. I just reapplied for a new benefit year, where it used to say no for active issues it now says yes. What does this mean? Will I still be eligible to collect any benefits. Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.
It's impossible for me to know what the issue is, as there are a number of things it could be. But if you're lucky you MAY receive a call from Raleigh to inform you of the issue and get it fixed. More likely, though, you will need to contact your local office to have them identify the issue and help you get it fixed. I'm assuming the issue isn't that big of a deal, though, since it's your 2nd benefit year and considered just a "transitional" claim (transitioning from one benefit year to the next, and nothing else has changed).

I would have recommended you go to your local office anyway, to re-establish a benefit year since THAT office would own your claim. Then you could have bypassed dealing with Raleigh altogether.

Last edited by jdljr; 11-12-2009 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
Can I refile online like I did originally or do I need to go into the office?

Again, Thank You!
You can file a new benefit year online, after your old benefit year has ended.

I often recommend against filing online or on the phone, though, because then Raleigh owns your claim and you have to deal with them for much of what might come up issue-wise. And trust me, issues can arise. If you go to a local office and do it there, that office owns your claim and you can actually deal with someone face-to-face if an issue arises.

I realize, though, a lot of local offices are packed and it can be frustrating having to try and get things done.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:21 PM

64 posts, read 168,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catco View Post
thank you, jdljr, and i look forward to hearing back from you with a confirmation regarding drawing both (Soc.Security & Unemployment). It is so kind of you to work a full-time job and deal with this stuff on the job all day; then help us in your off time.
I second that, ty for your responses jdljr! Much appreciated!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM

11 posts, read 31,797 times
Quote:
I checked today at work and, just as I thought, the receipt of Social Security benefits is not reportable while receiving unemployment. So you can collect both simultaneously.
Thank you so much! I will let my friend know and I'm sure he will say..."Please thank that kind person."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina