U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-12-2009, 06:18 PM
 
6 posts, read 21,752 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Thanks so much jdljr, you are so awesome, I have an interstate claim so I cannot go into a local office should I call them though, regarding the issues? Or will the send me a letter, I am sure they are to busy to call me. Thanks a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,148,476 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars2 View Post
Thanks so much jdljr, you are so awesome, I have an interstate claim so I cannot go into a local office should I call them though, regarding the issues? Or will the send me a letter, I am sure they are to busy to call me. Thanks a million.
I definitely would call them. Their track record for returning calls is not very good, sad to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 PM
 
7 posts, read 19,921 times
Reputation: 11
Default HR 3404 Needed to Fix HR 3548

I did some research as it seems odd that Congress and the President would enact a bill that has an obvious error in it. The error being that the EUC T4 benefit (up to 6 weeks of UI benefit for states with very high unemployment >8.5%/3months) but the claim for this Tier must start prior to Dec 27, 2009 which is impossible.

It seems that HR 3404 as written today will shift all of the deadlines in the orginal EUC bill (which HR 3548 amended) into the future by 1 year. There are some other features like extending FAC and extending the deadlines for ECU T1 & T2 as well. This bill was written before HR3548 but has not gained much attention until now. The consensus is that this bill or some form of it will be passed before the end of 2009 or by the end of January to allow folks to qualify for EUC Tiers 1-4 after the beginning of 2010.

Hope this helps. Stay tuned and watch HR3404. I hope none of us needs to use T4 but the discussion here will at least help those try to understand it that need it. Good luck and perservere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2009, 03:36 PM
 
4 posts, read 11,958 times
Reputation: 10
Default Tier I/ Tier II eligiblity

Is it possible that a person could receive regular UI benefits, and then tier I and then receive a letter dated 11/9/2009 that states 'to be eligible for second tier emergency UI you must exhaust your first tier on or before dec 31, 2009.

This makes no sense to me ( it was my husband) -since I thought eligibility for Tier I/II and EB was computed the same way. He completed drawing his tier i benefits the week prior - it was a little bit less than the regular weekly amount based on the way the 80% is calculated I think)

thanks

Last edited by cpcblackie; 11-13-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:26 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,378 times
Reputation: 10
Emergency Benefits include two tiers:

•Tier 1 (20 weeks)– to be eligible for any additional benefits under Tier 1, the individual must exhaust regular benefits on or before the week ending December 20, 2009, and start claiming Emergency Benefits on or before week ending December 27, 2009.
Note: This means the individual must have filed their initial claim for regular unemployment benefits effective on or before Monday, June 15, 2009.

•Tier 2 (13 weeks)– to be eligible for any additional benefits under Tier 2, the individual must exhaust all 20 weeks of Tier 1 on or before the week ending December 27, 2009.
Note: This means that the individual must have filed their initial claim for regular unemployment benefits effective on or before Monday, February 2, 2009.

The last payable week of both Tier 1 and Tier 2 is the week ending June 6, 2010.

Extended Benefits (20 weeks13 initial plus the seven (7) added eff. July, 17 2009)) are available to individuals who exhaust all 33 weeks of Emergency Benefits. However, the last payable week of Extended Benefits is the week ending December 27, 2009.
Note: This means the individual must have filed their initial claim for regular unemployment benefits effective on or before Monday, October 27, 2008


So what this means....currently as it stands, whatever Tier you are in at the end of the year is the only one you finish. Thats all you will get. Contact legislation to get this changed ....or big trouble ahead for many who wont get any benefits in 2010. Yes it is true....there is a cut off date and its going to impact a lot of people !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:44 PM
 
11 posts, read 28,927 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERE IS THE SITUATION View Post
Emergency Benefits include two tiers:

•Tier 1 (20 weeks)– to be eligible for any additional benefits under Tier 1, the individual must exhaust regular benefits on or before the week ending December 20, 2009, and start claiming Emergency Benefits on or before week ending December 27, 2009.
Note: This means the individual must have filed their initial claim for regular unemployment benefits effective on or before Monday, June 15, 2009.

•Tier 2 (13 weeks)– to be eligible for any additional benefits under Tier 2, the individual must exhaust all 20 weeks of Tier 1 on or before the week ending December 27, 2009.
Note: This means that the individual must have filed their initial claim for regular unemployment benefits effective on or before Monday, February 2, 2009.

The last payable week of both Tier 1 and Tier 2 is the week ending June 6, 2010.

Extended Benefits (20 weeks13 initial plus the seven (7) added eff. July, 17 2009)) are available to individuals who exhaust all 33 weeks of Emergency Benefits. However, the last payable week of Extended Benefits is the week ending December 27, 2009.
Note: This means the individual must have filed their initial claim for regular unemployment benefits effective on or before Monday, October 27, 2008


So what this means....currently as it stands, whatever Tier you are in at the end of the year is the only one you finish. Thats all you will get. Contact legislation to get this changed ....or big trouble ahead for many who wont get any benefits in 2010. Yes it is true....there is a cut off date and its going to impact a lot of people !
jdljr, please give a response on the above post. This is certainly not the way I'm understanding that it is???? I would be very interested in hearing your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2009, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,148,476 times
Reputation: 282
The way I understood it is that anyone who begins a benefit year on or before December 20, 2009 would be eligible for EUC08 (T1 and/or T2), up until June, 2010. I haven't heard anything different.

Admittedly, the more extensions they pile on, the more convoluted it gets. This reach back date, that effective date, this many number of weeks, that deadline date, etc. Add on top of that the fact that not everyone qualifies for everything. You won't get ANY extension if you don't meet the monetary requirements, and the extension duration is based on the duration of your regular UI (you don't automatically get 20 or 13 weeks...it's UP TO 20 or 13 weeks). And you won't get EB if you have a disqualification on your claim.

Even we at the ESC have a hard time keeping everything straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 11:48 AM
 
14 posts, read 33,457 times
Reputation: 12
JD,

I ahve a quick question for you. I was laid off in Jan, 09 and I started receiving my unemployment in Feb, 09. I believe I went through the first step and now I am about to get through my second step.

Is there a way for me to check through the NCESC site to see what tier I am on? According to my payment history I've done 39 weeks. I've gone through the website and it's pretty confusing to me.

From this forum and your answers (which thank you a ton for) if I understand everything my first set of payments is for 26 weeks and the next batch is for 20 weeks? If so then why am I getting a message saying I have one to two weeks left in my benefits?

I'm not at all sure, I did work for my former company for 15 years when they laid me off. I had no problems with getting unemployment benefits.

All I know is that it is all confusing . So what my big questions are, what, officially, are all the different tiers for unemployment and if at all possible with the information I've given what tier I am on? Is there anything past this. I'm going to call the unemployment office Monday so I would like to have something to talk about with them without sounding like a mumbling buffoon...lol

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 03:23 PM
 
4 posts, read 11,958 times
Reputation: 10
JDLjr
As everyone else has said the information that you provide is so straight forward and logical that you are an asset to your agency -

I am still a bit confused - see my question above-- I found my husband's letter that he received after his inital claim was exhausted. It stated in part " you are monetary eligb for extended benefits of 7,000=/-.....
Now that has been used and the letter we received as I typed abovee states" you are not eligble to receive tier II benefits because you did not exhaust tier I on or before Dec 31 2008.

-----
I am also drawing ( we unfortunately worked for the same small company as managers) - I completed my intial claim, then received a letter about Tier I, a separate letter about tier II and a separate letter about EB which I am just starting to draw.

-----
Again, the logic of his letter is missing but my real question now is does he need to apply for EB and is that done on line ( I did not apply for EB-- it was very automatic-- for whatever reason his file is being handled in a completly different way.)

Thanks

PS I have 10 years of experience processing Medicaid claims which is somewhat like UI I suspect- can I send you a private message with a couple of questions about the role of a EC ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,148,476 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsmith2 View Post
JD,

I ahve a quick question for you. I was laid off in Jan, 09 and I started receiving my unemployment in Feb, 09. I believe I went through the first step and now I am about to get through my second step.

Is there a way for me to check through the NCESC site to see what tier I am on? According to my payment history I've done 39 weeks. I've gone through the website and it's pretty confusing to me.

From this forum and your answers (which thank you a ton for) if I understand everything my first set of payments is for 26 weeks and the next batch is for 20 weeks? If so then why am I getting a message saying I have one to two weeks left in my benefits?

I'm not at all sure, I did work for my former company for 15 years when they laid me off. I had no problems with getting unemployment benefits.

All I know is that it is all confusing . So what my big questions are, what, officially, are all the different tiers for unemployment and if at all possible with the information I've given what tier I am on? Is there anything past this. I'm going to call the unemployment office Monday so I would like to have something to talk about with them without sounding like a mumbling buffoon...lol

Thank you
Well, currently there are three extensions not counting the one that was just signed last week (which is not yet being paid).

The length of your extensions depends entirely on how long your regular unemployment was for. People who qualify for UI will receive between 13 and 26 weeks of regular UI. It's NOT automatic that everyone receives 26 weeks of regular UI.

To calculate the duration of your regular UI you need to add up the total wages in the base period used to establish your claim. Then divide that total by the highest quarter in the base period, and multiply that sum by 8.66. If it's between 13 and 26, that's the number of weeks of regular UI you'd receive. If the number is less than 13, you'd get 13. If it's more than 26, you'd still just get the max of 26.

Now, the extension durations are a percentage of the number of weeks of regular UI that you received. The first extension is 80%, the 2nd extension is 50%, and EB is 80%. So if your regular UI claim set for 26 weeks, then your first extension would be 80% of that, or 20 weeks. Someone whose claim set for 16 weeks of regular UI, their first extension would be just 12 weeks.

Not everyone qualifies for extensions. It depends on what's in the base period. In order to qualify, your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in the base period.

Based on the numbers you've told me, if you have been paid for 39 weeks and have 1-2 weeks left of your first extension, I'd guess your original claim set for 22 or so weeks, so...22 weeks regular, 18 weeks 1st extension = 40 weeks. Something like that. If that's the case, then your 2nd extension would set for 11 weeks (50% of your original duration).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top