U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,148,476 times
Reputation: 282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
jdljr,

Just out of curiosity....I thought once your claim year expired, you HAVE to file a new claim & if eligible, you had to exhaust the regular UE & any extensions in the new bene year before you could pull forward any unused benes from the first year. Am I wrong about that?
No, you're right. Once a benefit year expires, that claim is done. Open a new benefit year, and if qualified for regular UI draw that, and if qualified for any extensions in the new benefit year, draw those. If not qualified for regular UI in the new benefit year, then old extension money transfers to new benefit year. If you get regular UI in new benefit year, but don't qualify for new extensions, then after regular UI they'll pull forward unused EUC.

Oh, and by the way, the A1 transaction I had attempted last night on a claim to get the 14th week to try and pay did NOT work, it actually messed up the claim a little. So I'm trying a transaction tonight to reverse last night. Raleigh is aware of the issue where Tier 3 is exhausting but it won't roll into the 14th week, and working on it I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,148,476 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoletteW View Post
Deerest,

I was receiving EUC Tier II in March, when my benefit year ran out, or claim year expired. I was receiving the max. weekly amount.

EUC Tier II would've lasted through May. However, since I qualified for a second benefit year, I was forced to start a new "regular" claim in a new benefit year.

EUC did not pull forward. Rather, I now receive a reduced weekly amount for a duration of 16 weeks.
No, EUC will not transfer to the new benefit year right away if you qualify for new, regular UI. At the end of your new, regular UI if you don't qualify for new EUC, THEN the old EUC from your previous benefit year will pull forward (along with your previous weekly benefit amount).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,148,476 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoletteW View Post
If a person is allowed to pull forward during a second benefit year any unused amounts from EUC during the first benefit year, what weekly benefit amount does the person receive--the amount from the first year or from the second benefit year?

I received the max weekly amount during the first benefit year and during EUC, which I collected partially through Tier II. I was forced to open a second benefit year and qualified at a majorly reduced weekly benefit.

I am planning on falling off the unemployment roll after my initial 16 weeks are complete in this second benefit year at this point--if still unemployed.
The old weekly benefit amount pulls forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM
 
8 posts, read 14,430 times
Reputation: 12
I was wondering if, when all bennies are exausted and I had gotten all my EB before the tier 3 and 4 extension, will I have another opportunity to restart EB in the new year? Also, any talk of a tier 5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
 
5 posts, read 7,820 times
Reputation: 10
Unhappy Oh no....

I need info!

I was laid off in 03/2009, and applied for UI in 05/2009. I've been looking for work since, but there isn't anything out there that even meets my UI amount. I've already cashed in my 401K to pay off some things to manage the house at that amount until I can find employment.

Anyhow, I exhausted UI in 11/2009, and went onto Tier 1. My Tier 1 expired on 04/03/2009, and when I went in, it says "Exhausted". It was Sunday, 4/11/2009. I tried calling the 888-737-0259, but they were closed.

Not knowing what else to do, I went through the process of opening a claim. The system walked me through, and it completed (I guess).

On Monday, I called and spoke to a nice lady that said my existing benefit year ran until 05/01/2010, and that the system would probably kick out the new claim since I was still within the original year. She said all extensions were on hold due to Congress deliberating, and to watch the news and call back once they agreed to extend UI.

Monday afternoon, the 4 week extension was approved. I remember the ESC rep telling me that it takes some time for their computers to catch up, so I decided to wait.

Today (Wednesday), I call in about this, to get a grip on what's going on. A different rep spoke to me, and said that because a new claim was filed, I was basically screwed from the previous claim, that the new one cannot be canceled out. I seem to have lost last week's benefits as a result, which I can live with.

Here's the rub:

1. The 2nd rep could not tell me what my benefit amount will be. I haven't had work since I was laid off, but since this is not an extension of my previous claim, but a new claim, does it count my previous employer, or what the ESC has paid me for the last 3 quarters?

2. Are there any programs that allow someone to go to school and receive training while preserving UI benefits? The mother of my wife's friend did that, although I don't know when.

Please, help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
 
131 posts, read 209,694 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintree View Post
I was wondering if, when all bennies are exausted and I had gotten all my EB before the tier 3 and 4 extension, will I have another opportunity to restart EB in the new year? Also, any talk of a tier 5?
jdljr is the resident expert on here, BUT, I do believe I have asked the same question before & the answer, unfortunately, is no. Tier 4 is all that is currently available. I would urge you to contact your state representative and NC senators to suggest adding addional tiers. It's an election year for them, so we need to remind them that while they were on a 2 week paid vacation, millions are desperate for their benefits. The economy is still a mess & jobs are scarce. If we don't get additional help, the economy will further collapse. They seem to forget that the UE benes we get STILL go back into the economy in some form or another....like groceries! If the benes stop, so does any chance for the economy to recover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 02:53 PM
 
131 posts, read 209,694 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
No, you're right. Once a benefit year expires, that claim is done. Open a new benefit year, and if qualified for regular UI draw that, and if qualified for any extensions in the new benefit year, draw those. If not qualified for regular UI in the new benefit year, then old extension money transfers to new benefit year. If you get regular UI in new benefit year, but don't qualify for new extensions, then after regular UI they'll pull forward unused EUC.

Oh, and by the way, the A1 transaction I had attempted last night on a claim to get the 14th week to try and pay did NOT work, it actually messed up the claim a little. So I'm trying a transaction tonight to reverse last night. Raleigh is aware of the issue where Tier 3 is exhausting but it won't roll into the 14th week, and working on it I suppose.
Thanks..thought I was losing it!

As to the 2nd paragraph of your answer----I called my local office today & was told there is a programming problem (sound familiar?) The rep said she would print it off & take back to her office to see if there had been any email updates regarding a fix. She said they are doing "runs" to try to correct the glitch a & mentioned something about Friday (by this time my mind had drifted toward wondering how in the heck I am going to feed my family til then, so I may have missed a detail or 2, but the essence was, it wasn't going to be fixed soon)

The rep I spoke to suggested I contact the Gov's office, Senators, reps, etc. I'll pass that along here, too.

Let us know of any updates you hear, please! Thank you, as always, jdljr!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,148,476 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintree View Post
I was wondering if, when all bennies are exausted and I had gotten all my EB before the tier 3 and 4 extension, will I have another opportunity to restart EB in the new year? Also, any talk of a tier 5?
If you've exhausted all EB in a previous benefit year, the only way to possibly get more EB is if you qualify for a new round of extensions (EUC and EB) in the new benefit year.

No word on a Tier 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,148,476 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbuh View Post
I need info!

I was laid off in 03/2009, and applied for UI in 05/2009. I've been looking for work since, but there isn't anything out there that even meets my UI amount. I've already cashed in my 401K to pay off some things to manage the house at that amount until I can find employment.

Anyhow, I exhausted UI in 11/2009, and went onto Tier 1. My Tier 1 expired on 04/03/2009, and when I went in, it says "Exhausted". It was Sunday, 4/11/2009. I tried calling the 888-737-0259, but they were closed.

Not knowing what else to do, I went through the process of opening a claim. The system walked me through, and it completed (I guess).

On Monday, I called and spoke to a nice lady that said my existing benefit year ran until 05/01/2010, and that the system would probably kick out the new claim since I was still within the original year. She said all extensions were on hold due to Congress deliberating, and to watch the news and call back once they agreed to extend UI.

Monday afternoon, the 4 week extension was approved. I remember the ESC rep telling me that it takes some time for their computers to catch up, so I decided to wait.

Today (Wednesday), I call in about this, to get a grip on what's going on. A different rep spoke to me, and said that because a new claim was filed, I was basically screwed from the previous claim, that the new one cannot be canceled out. I seem to have lost last week's benefits as a result, which I can live with.

Here's the rub:

1. The 2nd rep could not tell me what my benefit amount will be. I haven't had work since I was laid off, but since this is not an extension of my previous claim, but a new claim, does it count my previous employer, or what the ESC has paid me for the last 3 quarters?

2. Are there any programs that allow someone to go to school and receive training while preserving UI benefits? The mother of my wife's friend did that, although I don't know when.

Please, help!
First off I don't see why, if you still had a benefit year in existence, that your attempted new claim cannot be cancelled. I think the system should have blocked a new claim, but it happens sometimes that it goes through anyway. You need to have someone refer the new claim (the "zero record") to their regional claims specialist to withdraw the new claim. Because your other benefit year is still in existence, all that really needed to be done was either an A1 or B1 NIE transaction to get the claim kicked into Tier 2. You met the phase out date (April 3) requirement to go into the next tier. Although, some things (fixes) seemingly aren't working right now so it may have been a few days before your claim was fixed.

ANY, I repeat ANY rep should be able to tell you what your new benefit amount will be if you qualify for new, regular UI. Just need to take the high quarter of wages in the base period (right now all four quarters of 2009) and divide by 26. But I still don't think you need to worry about a new benefit amount until your benefit year truly expires in May. At that time the base period will still be the same as it is now, so you can still calculate it now. In order to be eligible for a new round of regular UI, your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than $4550 spanning at least two of those quarters in the base period. What you have received in UI money DOES NOT go into the base period to be counted toward future UI claims. This is why I try to instill into folks that ANY work is better than none, at least you're contributing to your base period and also to Social Security. While on UI, neither of those contributions are being made.

Now, if you don't have the at least $4550 spanning at least two quarters of the base period to qualify for new, regular UI, then at the end of your benefit year you should still request a new benefit year (if still wishing to file for UI) and your unused extension money will be transferred to your new benefit year for you to draw.

If you enroll in schooling through the WIA or ARRA programs (see a rep at your local office), they can waive your work search requirement while you're attending school, and you can still file for your UI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 05:04 PM
 
131 posts, read 209,694 times
Reputation: 14
Hey there, fellow unemployed!

I did something today I've never done before. I went to the websites of our NC Senators and wrote letters to them, urging them to support/introduce legislation for additional Tiers of UE (5&6). I also asked them to use whatever resources they had available to them to help resolve the programming issues at NCESC. I'll probably contact Gov. P's office, too.

I, for one, have been DILIGENTLY seeking employment for many, many, many months to no avail. If our UE dries up, just think what will happen to the economy. It's bad enough already and signs of recovery are slim to none. We reinvest this money BACK INTO the economy. If we can bail out the banks and the auto industries, and send money to every foreign country with a natural disaster....why can they not see that once the employed run out of benefits, groceries don't get bought, utilities don't get paid....it goes on & on & trickles down to those industries where people are still employed...which will lead to more & more layoffs....it will be a non ending decline. It will be far worse if they DON'T extend benefits.

There is also an online petition circulating for a Tier 5. I signed it...another something I've never done. It's an election year, folks. Let the incumbents know we are watching & until they make employment a pre requisite to voting, we are watching and still have some voice in THEIR future, too, provided we don't starve to death before Nov.

Here is the link to sign the petition. Please help me help us! Even jdljr depends to agree, on UE benes for his livlihood, so it helps him, too!

Perhaps we should form a new political party (lol)! Seriously, though, the time has past for us to simply do our job searches every day. Folks in Washington have the power to help us get through this crisis but they work. They are totally out of touch with what it is truly like...they need to hear your stories and your request for help. DO NOT ASSUME THEY UNDERSTAND HOW CRITICAL THIS HELP IS TO OUR VERY EXISTENCE! Please take the time to sign the petition and write to as many senators as possible!

Here is the link for the petition:


The 99ers need a Tier V added to Unemployment Benefits | Change.org


Thank, all!

deerest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top