U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 PM

131 posts, read 209,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
How many weeks were in you original claim? If it was 26 then you are probably waiting for the president to sign the new deadline bill. If you go to your original letter...look at the differnt quarterly amounts. As long as the total of all four quarters is at least 1.5 times the highest quarterly amount you should qualify for extensions. The number of weeks you will qualify for depends on the number of weeks you got originally. Tier 1 is 80% of the weeks, Tier 2 and 3 are 50% and tier 4 is 23%.

The extension currently awaiting a signature I think extends the deadline to end one tier before moving to the next. I am not sure what that new deadline is. Whatever that is it could end your benefits before you use all the tiers. You may then qualify for EB which is 80% I think of your original benefits.

Another consideration is that in December you will begin a new benefit year. At that point you will have to reapply. They will use different quarters to establish you weekly amount and the number of weeks. If you once again qualified for extensions ( and they still exist) you would start over at tier one. If not, the remaining tiers would pull forward from year one.

What has complicated this is Congress failure to act to extend deadlines before they expire. In any case I think you are eligible for something. Keep calling until you get a good rep. Even if someone tells you something is fixed call every three or four days until you can file and get paid. It took me three weeks when this situation came up in April but I did eventually get it fixed.

Obama has ALREADY SIGNED IT__he did it on Thursday night. The new deadline is June 2, I think.

As for the original post, the poster (yankindaSouth)states benefits will be exhausted in June...if that entails ALL available Tiers at present, then that's it.

Unless they (legislate) add additional Tiers, the poster, like many, will be out of options. Currently, what is available is regular UE, the 4 additional Tiers, then Extended Benefits (EB), and I hope the poster realizes that each person's situation is different. Just b/c there is a "possible" 99 weeks of aid, that doesn't mean one is eligible for that. It depends on income at the time of unemployment, the 1.5 rule etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:02 PM

131 posts, read 209,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post

Oh, and by the way, the A1 transaction I had attempted last night on a claim to get the 14th week to try and pay did NOT work, it actually messed up the claim a little. So I'm trying a transaction tonight to reverse last night. Raleigh is aware of the issue where Tier 3 is exhausting but it won't roll into the 14th week, and working on it I suppose.

Ughh----jdljr--I called today for an update about getting paid for my wk #14 (my T3 exhausted wk ending 4/3, so I certified for wk #14 but did not get paid yet, Plus I certified yesterday for week 1 of Tier #4) My trusty rep who told me in the beginning to file an appeal to get benes pulled forward answered. Before I could even explain she pulled up my claim & continued to talk to another person AND a coworker while I waited...sounded like she was doing 3 things at once...anyway she did this A1 transaction & told me I would get paid tomorrow for week 14 of Tier 2, and also a week of EB She said I would then go back into EB I said, "whoa....hold on, please back up! I am not eligible for EB, but should start Tier #4." She sorta cut me off & said that's just the way it is...that I did not use all EB in the old year so we would just call it EB isnstead of Tier #4, that's what I would get. Said she would check with someone above her to make sure and call me back.....uh, it's nearly 7pm...doubt that will happen, and since it did not get corrected before midnight tonight when the computer "refreshes," I'm afraid it just messed up the claim the same way you stated above. So, I'm interested in knowing if you were able to fix it, and if so, how? Thanks!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 PM

656 posts, read 1,021,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowska View Post
Another Update on my new benefit year.. Called in today to see what is going on, and I was told that my employer has appealed the decision from a year ago about my employment benefits. I did not know this was possible, I was told that I have to go over the same process from a year ago, basically waiting up to eight weeks or more for a decision!
That's so crazy!
I thought after you won your appreal the firstgo round, that they couldn't appeal the 2nd time...?
If you win again and i would think you should, you'll get retro'd back for the 8 weeks. Really not to much comfort when you have to go without pay all over again.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankindaSouth View Post
I am hoping one of the more seasoned posters can help me sort all this out...sux that there are 'seasoned' posters on here, doesn't it??

Anyhow, here is my information:

My benefit year started 12/09 and will end on 12/10. I will have received all of benefits listed the first week of June 2010.
I cannot work in my last career field due to my newly diagnosed seizure disorder... but.....
I started this process thinking I would be able to land a job in my earlier career field without a problem, but I seem to have hit the wall in my optimism. I am saving as much as I can,reducing expenses, etc, but I am worried about how I will live after June????

I have read about extended benefits on here and tiers, etc. ...it gives me a headache to read it and with overlapping dates, etc I am frankly --confused--! Plus I am in panic mode and that is never good when trying to read through the UE stuff!

I have worked in the same field with the same salary since 2007. I have not claimed unemployment before this time. Do I have a chance to get extended benefits? How is it calculated? Does it change the monthly rate or the length?

Any help would be most appreciated!
Is this your first benefit year?
If so, in June if the date for extensions get passed til the end of 2010, then you will probably move into your extensions.
Follow the formula Jskin gave you , that should tell you if you made enough in your quarters ect..... If you did, then you'll transiiton right on with your pay.
Pending the date gets approved and moved until to the end of the year...
Congress keeps giving us 30 day extensions. We're all waiting for the magic date of Dec 31 10 to get approved anytime now!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM

27 posts, read 43,160 times
I thought so too, I mean, it's been a year! I would think I would win again, the grounds on which I were fired was ridiculous, and even if true, I'd still get unemployment.
I have time to go to the local office in the morning, I hope I get a second opinion on this. Unless a job pops up soon I'm going to be eating oatmeal, rice and beans, for the next couple months... if I can afford to heat it up.

I would like to know from someone on here who knows for sure if a employer can contest benefits a year later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
That's so crazy!
I thought after you won your appreal the firstgo round, that they couldn't appeal the 2nd time...?
If you win again and i would think you should, you'll get retro'd back for the 8 weeks. Really not to much comfort when you have to go without pay all over again.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowska View Post
I thought so too, I mean, it's been a year! I would think I would win again, the grounds on which I were fired was ridiculous, and even if true, I'd still get unemployment.
I have time to go to the local office in the morning, I hope I get a second opinion on this. Unless a job pops up soon I'm going to be eating oatmeal, rice and beans, for the next couple months... if I can afford to heat it up.

I would like to know from someone on here who knows for sure if a employer can contest benefits a year later.
I'm guessing Jdljr will have to handle that one., he should pop in again as as soon as he get's a chance.
I'm sure he's SUPER busy at work these days.
Goodluck tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 AM

407 posts, read 599,866 times
Hey JDLJR--- when you are gone for a few days WE REALLY MISS YOU!!!

hopefully he sees this post

a few questions

1. the NCESC site STILL shows the Old / March ends for the extensions---- is the system up to date on the NEW end dates?

2. are the PULL FWDS every tuesday STILL working
????

I ask because MY second year 13 weeks has the last payout NEXT week, and i do not qualify for any NEW year extensions....

SOOOOOO i am hoping that it works well for my Tier 3 and Tier 4 (i got the max of tiers 1 and 2, did a few weeks of EB around xmas and then went into a new year)

3. since my last pay out will be NEXT monday, does the pull forward happen THAT TUES, I.E. the next day????

and if it does

then 4. should my profile be updated that Wed to show the new weekly amount and total amount in the profile???? or does it take a few days>????

and finally 5. IF that profile is not updated, SHOULD I CALL A REP AND HAVE THEM MANUALLY FIX IT? or not? i mean i dont want to have a week or 2 delay (even if i do get backpaid) IF a rep can manually fix it BEFORE my next sunday to file

please advise and help and again, Thanks JDLJR for all you do!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 AM

776 posts, read 1,525,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
Hey JDLJR--- when you are gone for a few days WE REALLY MISS YOU!!!

hopefully he sees this post

a few questions

1. the NCESC site STILL shows the Old / March ends for the extensions---- is the system up to date on the NEW end dates?

2. are the PULL FWDS every tuesday STILL working
????

I ask because MY second year 13 weeks has the last payout NEXT week, and i do not qualify for any NEW year extensions....

SOOOOOO i am hoping that it works well for my Tier 3 and Tier 4 (i got the max of tiers 1 and 2, did a few weeks of EB around xmas and then went into a new year)

3. since my last pay out will be NEXT monday, does the pull forward happen THAT TUES, I.E. the next day????

and if it does

then 4. should my profile be updated that Wed to show the new weekly amount and total amount in the profile???? or does it take a few days>????

and finally 5. IF that profile is not updated, SHOULD I CALL A REP AND HAVE THEM MANUALLY FIX IT? or not? i mean i dont want to have a week or 2 delay (even if i do get backpaid) IF a rep can manually fix it BEFORE my next sunday to file

please advise and help and again, Thanks JDLJR for all you do!
This is the same boat I'm in right now...except this week is my last week. In fact, my profile now says "Benefits Exhausted". I wouldn't mind seeing that pull forward go through today and see me able to draw off of Tier 2 again.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 AM

407 posts, read 599,866 times
im REALLLLLY Hoping JDLJR can see these and let us know the status....
if there IS A delay, at least we can know and try to plan for it as best as we can.....

has anyone else had this??? had to do a pull forward from the previous year???? did it go SEAMLESSLY without a delay? or did you have to call and have them manually adjust it?? can anyone with that experience share with us too?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 AM

30 posts, read 44,749 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused with the ESC claims.

First, kudos to JDLJR for lending his expertise and concern for the issues posted here!

Secondly, we are trying to figure out where we are on my husband's claims. Intially filed for unemployment late January/early February 2009 -- filled from 2/2009 - 5/2009 ... became employed (YEAH!) and worked from 5/2009 - 11/2009 (6 months) -- couldn't keep position due to budget cuts and was let go... began claiming unemployment again -- our understanding, it fell under his "original" benefit year... late January/early February - that year ended and they opened a "new" year which he is currently filing under - I think his 20 weeks will end on this year the end of June... is he eligible for extensions? this is so confusing and frustating!

Meanwhile, we have a stack of "rejection" letters and emails. His situation is further complicated by the fact he had a massive heart attack and has a 100% blockage in one of his main arteries and can't go back to his former job of driver license examiner or instructor. We are trying to get the Medical Review Board in Raleigh to overturn this decision b/c he doesn't want to DRIVE with a CDL just be able to teach and test --- but that's another issue altogether!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or