U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 PM

407 posts, read 600,503 times

Advertisements

YES id call at once, because it might take more than once to get it fixed, so id call over and over til you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:54 PM

131 posts, read 209,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly_sweet View Post
GAH! This is all so confusing. I have no idea where to even begin reading!
I just started getting my UE in mid-October and now it's exhausted as of last week. I have no idea what this "first year"/"second year" business is about and now I'm reading about a new "4th tier" and hope I qualify somehow for it. I've tried to keep filing but the system won't let me do anything, as my benefits have been exhausted like I've mentioned. What to do? What to do...

When you file for Unemployment benefits, you open a benefit year. That, like it sounds, lasts just one year. So, if you are still getting benefits and that date rolls around, regardless of how much money remains in your benefit "account", the benefits end and you MUST request a new benefit year at that time. This is what is meant by "second year." Whether you are eligible for a 2nd benefit year is dependent mainly on income....search the 1.5 rule on here for more on that if you'd like, but for now....it doesn't sound like you are anywhere near needing to worry about that yet, as it will be mid October again before your current year is up.

You say you started getting UE in mid October and now it is exhausted. Was this your REGULAR UE? If so, you should have rec'd a letter saying whether you are eligible for the next level of benefits. If you have not and have attempted to file your weekly certifications but are unable to do so, you probably should call the toll free # or your local office and ask them to explain what they see in your file.

I suspect that the date you exhausted your benefits may be the issue here. Because the deadline date for qualifying for the next level or Tier of benefits expired before the feds voted to extend it last week, it has thrown the computers into a frenzy. I think they are trying to correct it, but since it is difficult to tell if this is what happened in your case, you should contact an ESC claim rep. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:19 PM

18 posts, read 27,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
According to jdljr...yes, once you exhaust regular UI in your second benefit year and cannot get approved for extended unemployment insurance (for your second benefit year)...you will be eligible to "pull forward" any remaining extended unemployment compensation (except EB) from your first benefit year. You would just start drawing from wherever you left off...like me for example...I'm hoping I get a "pull forward" to my 5th week of tier 2.

The question remains...how in the heck does the act of pulling forward actually work and is it automatic? I too have tried to call down there, and it's pretty hard to get anywhere with them over the phone. And in the past, they've given me a bit of a runaround when I've mentioned pull forwards.
I just qualified Monday, for extended benefits (10.4 weeks) in the second benefit year.

My question is, if I dont qualify for anymore extensions in my 2nd benefit year can I still recieve pull forward from my benefit year 1?

I was in tier 2 when my benefit year one ended.

Thanks!

Last edited by .50 millionaire; 04-20-2010 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 02:19 PM

18 posts, read 31,980 times
Wake County and the # is 919-707-1290

Old 04-20-2010, 02:56 PM

407 posts, read 600,503 times
Thanks, well I couldnt call that # as its YOUR local office, but I was wondering if you called Raleigh or a local branch! Thanks again! and heres hoping JDLJR comes back to us soon!!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,149,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suezq - NC View Post
Guys, I wanted to say thank you, especially to JDLJR - you are so amazing I got a job today!! Full time employment after looking for a year.

I found the job at the NC job bank, it was the only place it was posted - just a reminder that is a great source for looking for jobs. Over the past year I sometimes forgot to check there.

I would have gone insane without you guys I am so grateful for this thread.

Don't give up - it will happen for you too.

Sue
Congrats!!

Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
jdljr,

Hope you are well! Hoping you can elaborate on a subject that I have seen come up a few times on this thread, but not in enough detail to fully understand. Here goes: In my job searches, I have applied for jobs with temp agencies, but this past week I applied for a job that is temporary, directly through the employer. I guess the difference here is that with a temp agency, you may work a job for a specified amount of time, then go to another and so on. But with this particular situation, the job lasts about 4 months and that is it-no chance of going permanent or transferring to another dept. In "normal" circumstances, or times past, I would be reluctant to approach a position which I knew to be only temporary, but with the job market as it is, I'm looking at anything and everything. Understand, I have not been invited to interview, so I'm probably jumping the gun here. Obviously, one would prefer to get off unemployment once and for all by obtaining regular, permanent employment, so the thought of taking a temporary position for 4 months and having to face being unemployed again so soon is scary, but I'm sure folks do it every day. Can you please expand on the scenario of when someone has been on UE then works (4 months in this case), and becomes unemployed again? What complicates it is that I have already exhausted all benefits in my new claim year, but receiving benes from my previous claim year pulled forward. As I stated previously, I haven't even been invited to interview for this temp job so it is hypothetical at best, but it prompted me to wonder what the effect of "intermittant" employment would be, since I know I would certainly face being unemployed again. Can you shed some light? Thanks!
Hey there,

Sorry for the delay, I went out of town Friday eve and got back at 9pm last night. Back to the grind!

When you accept the temp employment, you'll want to stop filing your UI. When your temp employment ends, you can reopen your existing claim. Note that your benefit year won't be extended, but you'll already have a claim open, won't have to serve a waiting week, and will pick up with the same weekly benefit amount you left off with. It does essentially extend your benefits because at some point down the road when your benefit year ends and you attempt a new one, you won't have used as much of your benefits as you would have had you not taken the temporary employment.

Now, of course you'll want to let the job come to an end and be laid off. That will ensure a smooth re-opening (vs a quit or a discharge). And that temp employer will be used as the last employer to re-open your claim since employment was expected to last more than 30 days.

I can imagine it is scary taking the temporary employment, but it does add money to your base period for possible future need, etc. It also may provide some networking opportunities to maybe find a different position when that one is coming to an end.

Hopefully you'll get the call for an interview!

Old 04-20-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .50 millionaire View Post
Hey jdljr,

I am have been lurking for sometime and noticed your good deeds. You should be applauded for your donation of time.

Quick question:

My 2nd benefit year had 13 weeks of regular UI, which has its final payout this week. Do you have a ball park theory on how long the extension implementation process will take, or will my pull forward be interrupted?
The date extension implementation should take less than two weeks (maybe a week).

As far as pull forwards, they usually run them Tuesday nights, but I think this week they're running them Thursday because I think they're trying to get some of the phase out date affected claims back on track and THEN do the pull forwards.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowska View Post
Well my issue is back today. Last week I posted that I renewed my benifet year online. I was fired from my last job, and the commission ruled in my favor. When I started a new benefit year online, it opened up the issue with the firing again.
I called in and a rep got it removed from my claim, and online the claim showed no issues after she got it pulled.

Today after filing for my weekly certification I get the notice that my claim has a active issue and I will not be paid until it is resolved. Checking the claim profile online once again shows a active issue, that was not there last week when the rep removed it.

Sigh.... sorry to vent, this is getting frustrating, and knowing that I caused the issue by renewing the benefit year myself instead of just going in to the local office makes it worse.
It isn't necessarily the same issue. If you somehow answered a question incorrectly (and didn't know it) it would establish an issue on your claim. You need to contact your local office or the remote service center and ask them what the issue is.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thizzguy View Post
Basicaly i dont understand so can someone brake it down for me.... I spent 10 years in the army, I got out and started collecting unemployment in oct 09, today i went to file a claim online and its bin 26 weeks and it saying my claim or money is exhausted but my base year doesnt run out till oct 2010 will or how do i get an extension?
You're caught up in the phase out date extension issue going on right now. The issue is that you needed to exhaust your regular UI by 3/27 in order to be eligible for your first extension. Congress has now extended that date to June 2, but until ESC gets the programming done and implemented in the system to get folks back on track, your claim will show exhausted. Hopefully it won't be long (week or so). It wasn't long in March when they had to do this same programming when Congress previously extended the phase out date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or