U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,143,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheph09 View Post
Hello Everyone:

I will exhaust my regular (26 weeks) of Florida unemployment on May 29th 2010. Does anyone know if this bill or any other bill, help me and others who will exhaust their regular unemployment benefits. I called customer service and they told me I did not qualify because i will not exhaust my benefits by may 22nd. Sooo confused!!
Not exactly sure which bill you're referring to, but as the legislation stands right now, you must exhaust your regular UI by May 22nd in order to be eligible for EUC extensions. If you qualify for Extended Benefits (EB), you may be able to get that until the date is (possibly) further extended. Then when (if) it's further extended, you'd get switched over to EUC and draw that until the new phase out date.

Further, anyone currently in EUC extensions must exhaust the extension they're in not later than May 29th to be eligible to go into the next Tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:51 PM

656 posts, read 1,020,408 times
jdljr,
I have a strange question,
Just something I don't know and I'm curious about.
If your going through adjudication, do you still recieve benefits until it's resolved?
I had read a back post on this thread where you had said that you heard there are over aprox. 13,000 adjudication cases to be resolved, whew!
I was wondering are these people just now filing for their benefits., or are they people that have been recieving benefits and the adjudication dept. just hasn't gotten to all of the letters from employers ect?

Didn't know if they would actually start someone on benefits and then stop everything after finally getting to a negative previous employers letter ect...
thanks, just curious and amazed at the numbers!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
jdljr,
I have a strange question,
Just something I don't know and I'm curious about.
If your going through adjudication, do you still recieve benefits until it's resolved?
I had read a back post on this thread where you had said that you heard there are over aprox. 13,000 adjudication cases to be resolved, whew!
I was wondering are these people just now filing for their benefits., or are they people that have been recieving benefits and the adjudication dept. just hasn't gotten to all of the letters from employers ect?

Didn't know if they would actually start someone on benefits and then stop everything after finally getting to a negative previous employers letter ect...
thanks, just curious and amazed at the numbers!
If someone files their claim as a quit or a discharge and it has to go to Adjudication, then NO, they don't receive benefits while waiting. They still would want to certify each week, though, because if Adjudication rules in their favor they'll go back and pay all the back weeks the claimant has certified and for which they're eligible.

Now, if someone goes through adjudication and ultimately the ruling is in their favor and the claimant starts receiving benefits, and then the employer appeals, the benefits will continue each week the claimant certifies even while awaiting the appeal hearing. Then if the appeal hearing reverses the original decision, the benefits would stop.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 PM

656 posts, read 1,020,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
If someone files their claim as a quit or a discharge and it has to go to Adjudication, then NO, they don't receive benefits while waiting. They still would want to certify each week, though, because if Adjudication rules in their favor they'll go back and pay all the back weeks the claimant has certified and for which they're eligible.

Now, if someone goes through adjudication and ultimately the ruling is in their favor and the claimant starts receiving benefits, and then the employer appeals, the benefits will continue each week the claimant certifies even while awaiting the appeal hearing. Then if the appeal hearing reverses the original decision, the benefits would stop.
Wow!
Thanks jdljr for the explanation, I've always wondered about the process whenever I read about adjudications., amazing that theres over 13000,00 people awaiting decisions, just astounding!

Do you know what NC's current unemployment rate is?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Wow!
Thanks jdljr for the explanation, I've always wondered about the process whenever I read about adjudications., amazing that theres over 13000,00 people awaiting decisions, just astounding!

Do you know what NC's current unemployment rate is?
Yea, those are all something other than "lack of work". NC's March rate, the latest for which there is data, was 11.1%.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 7,794 times
Jdljr,

After the 3 weeks of the system being messed up, they finally got my claim fixed. I literally received 3 payments in 1 week.

Now I log in, and the Benefit Year is expired. Just when I thought things were getting better

I remember being told that the Benefit Year can be extended.. how hard is that to do, and who is the best person to speak to about it?

Old 05-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbuh View Post
Jdljr,

After the 3 weeks of the system being messed up, they finally got my claim fixed. I literally received 3 payments in 1 week.

Now I log in, and the Benefit Year is expired. Just when I thought things were getting better

I remember being told that the Benefit Year can be extended.. how hard is that to do, and who is the best person to speak to about it?
A benefit year cannot be extended - once it's expired, it's expired. You can file for a NEW benefit year and, based on work and earnings (wages) in your base period, one of two things will happen. Either:

1) if you have enough wages to start a new, regular UI claim, that's what will be established or,

2) if you don't have enough wages to start a new, regular UI claim, then any unused extension money will be transferred forward from your expired benefit year to your new benefit year.

Remember that your weekly benefit amount will be based on wages in the base period as well. If you are beginning a new, regular UI claim then the high quarter of wages divided by 26 will give you your weekly benefit amount. Right now the base period (the period that is examined to determine eligibility) is all four quarters of 2009. You'll also have to serve a new waiting week.

If you do not have enough wages to begin a new, regular UI claim and they transfer your unused extension money forward to your new benefit year, they also bring forward the same weekly benefit amount you've been receiving. And you will not have to serve a new waiting week.

Keep in mind that you will not have a choice in the matter. Whichever you qualify for will be what will happen - for example if you do qualify for a new, regular UI claim but the wages in your base period are such that your weekly benefit amount will be lower, you will get the new, regular UI claim with the lower weekly benefit amount, even if you still had extension money leftover in the prior benefit year.

You should be able to file for a new benefit year either by calling the toll free number, by doing so on the ESC website, or by visiting your local office. Either method will work fine.

If you have not had a different employer from when your first benefit year was filed it's called "no intervening employment". Further, if the last week you certified was the last week of your benefit year, the new benefit year would be filed as a "transitional" claim since you're simply transitioning from one benefit year to another. If, on the off chance you were either discharged or quit that previous job and your claim was adjudicated in your favor, then you would want to make sure to file your new benefit year as "lack of work" since the previous issue was already adjudicated in the prior benefit year.

Best of luck!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,686 times
I have been unemployed since 5/2009, my benefit year ends 5/8/2010. My benefits exhausted weeks ago and I refiled...received a letter in the mail from NCESC stating that I am monetarily eligible for an extension. Last week I went to file my weekly certification and received a message stating "There are no more weeks to file." What does this mean?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 7,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
A benefit year cannot be extended - once it's expired, it's expired. You can file for a NEW benefit year and, based on work and earnings (wages) in your base period, one of two things will happen.
Well, I called into the ESC customer service line today and spoke with a very nice rep. She immediately saw that my benefit year was expired, and went to work on setting up another claim immediately without me even telling her what was up.

She informed me that I'll just carry on in Tier 2, what the benefit value is (remaining from 1st year), and that I still lose a week, regardless of it being extended over instead of a new UI claim.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayesalady View Post
I have been unemployed since 5/2009, my benefit year ends 5/8/2010. My benefits exhausted weeks ago and I refiled...received a letter in the mail from NCESC stating that I am monetarily eligible for an extension. Last week I went to file my weekly certification and received a message stating "There are no more weeks to file." What does this mean?
It means your claim may be stuck. You need to call someone and have them check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or