U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-21-2010, 05:49 AM
 
30 posts, read 44,656 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what I am getting ready to post, but just curious how it is "legal" for it to happen.... We have two neighbors who are both retired (65) -- one is drawing Social Security only - the other SS and pension... one worked for a store that went out of business - became unemployed - so on top of SS - she is (has been) drawing unemployment for well over a year... the other's company downsized and he was let go... again same situation... do they not have to claim their retirement/social security as earnings???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 AM
 
656 posts, read 1,019,867 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
What we have here folks is your typical, condescending, self absorbed, clueless moron who gets off surfing around & picking cyber fights. Spoken like someone with a nice cushy job and absolutely no clue what the real world is like. Makes you wonder why this type lurks around a thread dedicated to unemployment. I hope that my last benefit check came directly out of this dude's pocket! Yes, that thought is quite comforting! JERK.
DITTO to THAT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 AM
 
131 posts, read 209,265 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Sad thing is...the unemployment rate will likely stay above 9% for years. Current leadership, overwhelmingly blue at the moment, is not doing what it takes to stimulate job growth and are not making it easy on companies to be afforded the opportunity to start hiring. Meanwhile, the minority leadership, the republicans, are not willing to extend unemployment benefits unless we have the money to pay for it, and it doesn't sound like they're (and some D's) very keen on extending benefits passed 99 weeks.

Listen, it's tough on all of us. I'm trying to make plans and adjust my life for November, when I exhaust benefits, if I can't find work (and Time2Travel, I've applied to stockboy jobs and waiter jobs, and I'm either overqualified or stores will tend to hire the more able-bodied, younger kids that will work cheap...it's not as easy as just taking any job anywhere). Washington and Raleigh, as a whole, is not getting it done for us. Vote them out...great. But know who you're voting for instead. I don't trust Elaine Marshall at this point, any more than I do Burr. But that's only because she talks the talk, the way we were sold a line of B.S. in 2008. I don't trust any of them.

Hang in there though...I certainly want them to extend it, but use the unused stimulus money to do it....I would definitely support that.
I would agree that both parties are mishandling the jobs/unemployment crisis. It irks me that they can allocate trillions for bailing out the banks, auto makers & Wall St. & yet these entities are still paying their top execs millions in bonuses....all at taxpayer expense. And, yes, even those on UE benes still pay taxes! So with money STILL in that pot, the political parties don't see fit to utilize it to help it's own citizens who REALLY NEED the help. It wouldn't surprise me to see the same level of uprising they had in Greece (for which the US will rescue, too). As for Time2travel....clueless. I would have also normally assumed that going out & attempting a fast food job or some other part time job would be easy, too...until I tried with no luck. No one seems overly anxious to hire a 50+ year old woman with professional designations to flip burgers...I know. I've tried & been passed over. I have applied for fast food, waitstaff, cook, newspaper delivery, magazine ad sales, retail, administrative, receptionist, customer service, grocery clerk...you name it, I've applied for it. I have no guilt, no shame regarding my efforts to find a job. I now know, experiencially, how hard it is. So just as we are sterotyped as moochers, I suppose we can stereotype those with too much time & money on their hands. Quick to judge and grossly out of touch with reality....much like our lawmakers on both sides of the aisle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 10:58 AM
 
656 posts, read 1,019,867 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles93 View Post
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what I am getting ready to post, but just curious how it is "legal" for it to happen.... We have two neighbors who are both retired (65) -- one is drawing Social Security only - the other SS and pension... one worked for a store that went out of business - became unemployed - so on top of SS - she is (has been) drawing unemployment for well over a year... the other's company downsized and he was let go... again same situation... do they not have to claim their retirement/social security as earnings???
There has to be some of that income deducted along the way somewhere. ESPECIALLY if they're on SS(tetirement).
You simply cannot get away with collecting both and not report it since both SS #'s are in the system for UI and SS.
I'm sure like any retired folks they're allowed to have an income up to a certain amount a year.
So I suppose that's how they're able to work while getting SS benefits and then collect UI after that job ended.
Seems sorta odd, but my guess is, that's what's going on...(?)
I know they do have to probably claim the SS on a weekly breakdown as they certfiy for their UI every week.
Maybe someone else or Jdljr has some better insight to this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM
 
131 posts, read 209,265 times
Reputation: 14
[quote=Time2Travel;14266535]You guys crack me up. You had TWO YEARS to relocate, no, not quite 2 years yet!down size your lifestyle to conform with whatever employment you could find, certainly altered my lifestyle to the point that I take my meds only half the time, put the house on the market but economy so bleak it hasn't soldgo back to school, last I checked, schools want money to let you attendstart a business, another brilliant idea that requires moneyjoin the military, too old, not eligibleect, ect. Quit whining and go find a job, any job.finding a job and getting hired for a job, any job are 2 entirely different things And if it doesn't pay all the bills then work two jobs. hmmm....let's see, I can't get hired for one job but you think it is just that easy to find 2?There is absolutely no excuse for not taking some kind of job in two years...uh, yes there is---despite hundreds of applications, I have no offers and don't even start with that "I cant find a good job" crap. After two years you lost that luxury. Again, finding jobs and securing jobs are different. You can beat the bushes, surf the jobsites, and apply all day long but the calls and interviews are not happening. Understand??????? Luxury! Really? really? You think it is a luxury to scrimp & save & cut & whittle & go without & put up with the sterotypical venomous remarks from the likes of you & others like you? WOW. You really are a piece of work. Too bad you don't pay. Idiot.[/quote]

in a nutshell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,142,522 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles93 View Post
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what I am getting ready to post, but just curious how it is "legal" for it to happen.... We have two neighbors who are both retired (65) -- one is drawing Social Security only - the other SS and pension... one worked for a store that went out of business - became unemployed - so on top of SS - she is (has been) drawing unemployment for well over a year... the other's company downsized and he was let go... again same situation... do they not have to claim their retirement/social security as earnings???
Someone CAN receive Social Security and unemployment benefits at the same time and the Social Security is NOT reportable at any time. Say someone is 62 or 65 or whatever, are still employed and lose their job. As long as they are still able and available and seeking work, they can file for and receive unemployment while receiving their Social Security.

The only "Social Security" that would affect unemployment is Disability. One cannot be collecting full Disability and collect unemployment benefits as well. If you're disabled and not able to work, you're not eligible for unemployment. However, there are exceptions. Someone may be disabled and in a wheelchair and collecting disability and got laid off from a job they had. That person may still be able to do a job using their arms and hands, so they could potentially collect unemployment as well since technically they're still able to work...as long as they're available and seeking work.

As far as a pension. If the company from which the pension is being received is not part of the base period, it is NOT reportable. Now, if the pension is from an employer that is within the base period (right now all four quarters of 2009), then the pension needs to be reported each week (calculated out to a weekly amount) when they certify for unemployment. Again, as long as that person is able, available and seeking work, they can file for and receive unemployment while receiving their pension IF the pension is from an employer NOT in the base period. Otherwise, the pension is reportable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 PM
 
131 posts, read 209,265 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Someone CAN receive Social Security and unemployment benefits at the same time and the Social Security is NOT reportable at any time. Say someone is 62 or 65 or whatever, are still employed and lose their job. As long as they are still able and available and seeking work, they can file for and receive unemployment while receiving their Social Security.

The only "Social Security" that would affect unemployment is Disability. One cannot be collecting full Disability and collect unemployment benefits as well. If you're disabled and not able to work, you're not eligible for unemployment. However, there are exceptions. Someone may be disabled and in a wheelchair and collecting disability and got laid off from a job they had. That person may still be able to do a job using their arms and hands, so they could potentially collect unemployment as well since technically they're still able to work...as long as they're available and seeking work.

As far as a pension. If the company from which the pension is being received is not part of the base period, it is NOT reportable. Now, if the pension is from an employer that is within the base period (right now all four quarters of 2009), then the pension needs to be reported each week (calculated out to a weekly amount) when they certify for unemployment. Again, as long as that person is able, available and seeking work, they can file for and receive unemployment while receiving their pension IF the pension is from an employer NOT in the base period. Otherwise, the pension is reportable.

Isn't it true, though, that to receive SS, there is an earning allowance, just like with UE benefits? Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem feasible that someone could be drawing SS AND be employed full time or even part time unless their earning are within the allowable limit. So, to be eligible for UE, could the last job be just part time? Seems like it would be hard to meet the earnings requirements and conversely, earnings restrictions. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 07:25 AM
 
177 posts, read 269,535 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
Isn't it true, though, that to receive SS, there is an earning allowance, just like with UE benefits? Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem feasible that someone could be drawing SS AND be employed full time or even part time unless their earning are within the allowable limit. So, to be eligible for UE, could the last job be just part time? Seems like it would be hard to meet the earnings requirements and conversely, earnings restrictions. Just a thought.
It depends on the age of the person whether or not any of their ss benefits are taxable. This is not figured until tax time. Then the benefits are not reduced just taxed. Both of my parents draw ss and work fulltime. Both of them are over 70 so none of their ss is taxable. I know it seems kind of unfair but look at it like this. They have both been forced to pay ss over their lifetimes so they should be able to collect on it now. UE is a seperate matter. They have both worked full time for 50 + years. If they lose their jobs shouldn't they also be eligible for UE? Trust me SS benefits alone are not enough to live a very good lifestyle. That is why they work- so they can have the better things in life now that they have reached their golden years.

Just though I'd add some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,142,522 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
Isn't it true, though, that to receive SS, there is an earning allowance, just like with UE benefits? Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem feasible that someone could be drawing SS AND be employed full time or even part time unless their earning are within the allowable limit. So, to be eligible for UE, could the last job be just part time? Seems like it would be hard to meet the earnings requirements and conversely, earnings restrictions. Just a thought.
Yes, I'd think for SS there is an earnings allowance...not sure if UI is counted against SS just like SS isn't counted for UI. I don't really know their rules though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,142,522 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
It depends on the age of the person whether or not any of their ss benefits are taxable. This is not figured until tax time. Then the benefits are not reduced just taxed. Both of my parents draw ss and work fulltime. Both of them are over 70 so none of their ss is taxable. I know it seems kind of unfair but look at it like this. They have both been forced to pay ss over their lifetimes so they should be able to collect on it now. UE is a seperate matter. They have both worked full time for 50 + years. If they lose their jobs shouldn't they also be eligible for UE? Trust me SS benefits alone are not enough to live a very good lifestyle. That is why they work- so they can have the better things in life now that they have reached their golden years.

Just though I'd add some insight.
Thank you, that's very good insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top