U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM

11 posts, read 18,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post
Well guys I am screwed royally :-). I got my last benefit today and it was for far less than my usual payment. This is still within my first year of benefits...actually I have only been unemployed since December. Guess I'll have to sell some stuff in order to keep afloat.

Oh and to those who say "go get a job" I already have accepted a job offer for the Federal Gov't, I just start in the middle of July. I was at least hoping my UI benefits would last until then. I'm not lazy and looking for a handout, as a matter of fact my ultimate job is WORKING for our country (as evidenced by the job I accepted).

Well good luck to all, and guys keep up the good work in here keeping up with the status of UI.
Same thing happened to my husband. See my post under yours. You may be getting that 50 percent check plys $25 this week. My husbands last week was less then half what we normally get, but our worker said thats how it was doled out but there was one more half week voted by congress before they left for break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:01 AM

259 posts, read 434,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgem526 View Post
Same thing happened to my husband. See my post under yours. You may be getting that 50 percent check plys $25 this week. My husbands last week was less then half what we normally get, but our worker said thats how it was doled out but there was one more half week voted by congress before they left for break.
People like yourself and the information that is shared like what you posted is why I feel privileged to know about a site like this. I just got off the phone with NC ESC and the information I got was the same as you posted.

Quick tip....I live in one of the largest cities in NC so calling or visiting NC ESC can be daunting at times. What I did was get the number to one of the smaller cities in NC and I call them. Not only is the wait much shorter (on the phone), but the service is EXCELLENT. In the bigger cities you tend to get the "I'm pissed I work here and you'll have to suffer" type workers (possibly because of the sheer volume of claims), while the smaller locations tend to be the more cordial helpful type workers. Of course this is a generalization and there are exceptions, just trying to give a few helpful info that works for me well.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,770 times
Hi, No you just keep filing. If you have any questions just go to the SEC, security and Exchange Commission or unemployment office and they will tell you what to do.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 AM

656 posts, read 997,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcole View Post
Sure hope "jdljr" sees this and can help with an answer. . . My benefit year ran out on May 23, 2010. I received a message about this when I did my certification that week, called the number given and the lady quickly told me she had "keyed" my claim for a new benefit year and it would be $132 a week for 17 weeks. I was on EUC tier II and had only received 5 payments of those benefits at $240. However, I have not worked AT ALL since I was laid off on May 26, 2009. So I know that I am not eligble for a new benefit year. This week when I filed my weekly certification I received a message saying that my "claim has been accepted but cannot be processed for payment because of a prior disqualification" (the new benefit year). I called customer service again, and the Asheville office, and was told that Raleigh had to "run a program" SOMETIME this month for my previous claim to be "pulled forward" so that I would continue my tier II, etc. I am not changing tiers and I don't get a new benefit year, so why does my benefits STOP till they decide to run a program? That answer bites when this is my only source of income at the present time. (And for those who say I am not looking for work . . .believe me, I AM!! I HAVE applied at Wal-Mart, Kmart, McDonald's, Burger King, EVERYWHERE . . . and so have a 100's of other people!! I'm told "we have a lot of applications on file, we'll give you a call" ) Can someone please help with an answer?
Hi, I'm pretty much in your same situation.
My guess is that when she told you it would be sometime "This month" it's based on the fact that we still have to wait for the senate to get back from their brak this Friday and vote on the house bill to collect anything further.
They have been running pullforwards on Tuesdays, but that's on hold until the bill gets passed(once again)
I'm done with year 2 UI and don't qualify for extensions, so like you, I'll be waiting for a pullforward where I'll also pick up into my year 1 tier 2 benefits.
I'm hoiping everything wll be in place within the next 2 weeks. My biils ect.. all late and onhold until that decision comes in and they start the pullforward program again(ugh)
Goodluck, I'll keep posting here so we can keep updated when all of this transpires

Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 18,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post
People like yourself and the information that is shared like what you posted is why I feel privileged to know about a site like this. I just got off the phone with NC ESC and the information I got was the same as you posted.

Quick tip....I live in one of the largest cities in NC so calling or visiting NC ESC can be daunting at times. What I did was get the number to one of the smaller cities in NC and I call them. Not only is the wait much shorter (on the phone), but the service is EXCELLENT. In the bigger cities you tend to get the "I'm pissed I work here and you'll have to suffer" type workers (possibly because of the sheer volume of claims), while the smaller locations tend to be the more cordial helpful type workers. Of course this is a generalization and there are exceptions, just trying to give a few helpful info that works for me well.
Im glad he was told the truth then and I could be of some help. Its a helpless situation for us lately. I wonder if we were bad people in a past life or something! My husband hasnt found a job thats perm since 2008, I have a degree and cant get a job, and now our car was totalled by some punk who pulled out of McDonalds without looking and his insurance comp is giving us a hard time. We just need a break like most people in this state.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 PM

330 posts, read 402,558 times
i think this will be similar to smile's situation, but let me lay it out.
Benefit Year ONE 3/2009-3/2010.
i received benefits for 25 weeks until i found a job. that job lasted 3 months.
i started filing for unemployment again, and received a letter that had the exact same weekly payments as i had in the first 25 weeks, and would last 20 weeks. there was no indication of it being Tier 1 or EB or anything. the letter was not formatted the same way as my original 26 week letter.

before the 20 weeks were up(14 weeks), my benefit year ended(3/10), and i had to re-file.
a new letter said i would get x amount per week, lasting 13 weeks, based on final 2 quarters of my original job that was now in the base period. this letter was formatted like the original 26 week letter, so i assume this was for Benefit Year TWO.
***is there some reason the ESC cant just put some labels on these letters?***

now, with those 13 weeks about to run out, where am i in the spectrum? was the 20 week letter of the same amount of the 26 week period...year ONE Tier...2? EB of Year ONE?
(but not Year TWO, since i read above i am not eligible for that if i got Benefit Year TWO monies?)
do i fall back to Tier 3 of year ONE? did i meet a deadline for starting Tier 3 of year ONE? am i hung up by this latest Congressional delay, or is that money already in the system?

it does sort of seem like smiles said, that you are penalized by finding work too early in the benefit timeline. we'd all like to think that the new job will last us, but it seems they end for the same economic reasons the original jobs did. "its NOT better to have find work and lost, than to never find work at all"?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM

259 posts, read 434,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgem526 View Post
Im glad he was told the truth then and I could be of some help. Its a helpless situation for us lately. I wonder if we were bad people in a past life or something! My husband hasnt found a job thats perm since 2008, I have a degree and cant get a job, and now our car was totalled by some punk who pulled out of McDonalds without looking and his insurance comp is giving us a hard time. We just need a break like most people in this state.

Gemgem, my prayers go out to you and your family and all the other families who are going through it. There are plenty of good and talented people willing and able to work that are struggling. My wife and I had to move to my mothers house last month to while waiting for my job to start...talk about a lesson in humility. We are not in the clear yet...though we can see the shore there's still a lot of swimming to do.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 PM

28 posts, read 39,111 times
My situation sounds like a lot of others here. I just received my last benefit payment under Tier 2 today. When I check my status now, it says "BENEFITS EXHAUSTED'. Call line has been busy for hours, so I am hoping it is a seamless transition to Tier 3.......but who knows............

Old 06-02-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
i think this will be similar to smile's situation, but let me lay it out.
Benefit Year ONE 3/2009-3/2010.
i received benefits for 25 weeks until i found a job. that job lasted 3 months.
i started filing for unemployment again, and received a letter that had the exact same weekly payments as i had in the first 25 weeks, and would last 20 weeks. there was no indication of it being Tier 1 or EB or anything. the letter was not formatted the same way as my original 26 week letter.

before the 20 weeks were up(14 weeks), my benefit year ended(3/10), and i had to re-file.
a new letter said i would get x amount per week, lasting 13 weeks, based on final 2 quarters of my original job that was now in the base period. this letter was formatted like the original 26 week letter, so i assume this was for Benefit Year TWO.
***is there some reason the ESC cant just put some labels on these letters?***

now, with those 13 weeks about to run out, where am i in the spectrum? was the 20 week letter of the same amount of the 26 week period...year ONE Tier...2? EB of Year ONE?
(but not Year TWO, since i read above i am not eligible for that if i got Benefit Year TWO monies?)
do i fall back to Tier 3 of year ONE? did i meet a deadline for starting Tier 3 of year ONE? am i hung up by this latest Congressional delay, or is that money already in the system?

it does sort of seem like smiles said, that you are penalized by finding work too early in the benefit timeline. we'd all like to think that the new job will last us, but it seems they end for the same economic reasons the original jobs did. "its NOT better to have find work and lost, than to never find work at all"?
Hi you aren't actually penalized by working, it just stretches your monies out further.
OK, it sounds like you were in tier 1 when your first benefit year ended as that would've been 20 weeks based on your initial starting amount of 25 weeks.
Tier one is 80% of that.
Then when that year ended in March, you did start a new benefit year.
No matter what happens ,you will always start a new year at the end of your fitst, it doesn't alkays take if you didn't work enough quarters, but it sounds like you did.
So now what will happen, is that you will either transition into another set of tiers for this new benefit year, or if you don't qualify by the 1.5 rule then , they'll let you know and they'll pullforward you remaining tier monies from the first year.
By you working, you ended in tier one, so you'll collect all of the rest of that and then go into tier 2, 3, 1 extra week called the 14th week and then tier 4 no state money (EB) can be pulled forward.
So your working did actually help you in the long run.
We all still have to wait for the senate to get back from memorial break this Friday to vote on the bill to let the extensions date move ahead, since phase out was scheduled to end by the end of May.. now.
You may be 1-2 weeks without a check, but that should be tops pending they give a YES vote to extend the date and it's said that they will.
Goodluck,
many of us are in the same boat that your in right now

Old 06-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeljohn View Post
My situation sounds like a lot of others here. I just received my last benefit payment under Tier 2 today. When I check my status now, it says "BENEFITS EXHAUSTED'. Call line has been busy for hours, so I am hoping it is a seamless transition to Tier 3.......but who knows............
Assuming your still in your 1st benefit year,
You should go straight into tier 3, then 1 extra week of 50% benefits (called week 14) then tier 4., then last but not least EB (state money) you get that last if you reach that point and have no other disqualifications on file , it's usually 20 weeks .
Basically you get all tiers if approved for the first tier.
We're at a standstill right now since the phase out date for extensions was set for the end of May, but the house passed the bill to move the date til Nov 30th, we just have to wait til the senate gets back and let them vote to finalize that bill.

keep filing no matter what, if the bill passes, they'll retro pay you whatever weeks that they missed due to the senate bill vote, then you'll resume with your tier 3.
Goodluck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or