U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 04:43 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,089,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcole View Post
Sure hope "jdljr" sees this and can help with an answer. . . My benefit year ran out on May 23, 2010. I received a message about this when I did my certification that week, called the number given and the lady quickly told me she had "keyed" my claim for a new benefit year and it would be $132 a week for 17 weeks. I was on EUC tier II and had only received 5 payments of those benefits at $240. However, I have not worked AT ALL since I was laid off on May 26, 2009. So I know that I am not eligble for a new benefit year. This week when I filed my weekly certification I received a message saying that my "claim has been accepted but cannot be processed for payment because of a prior disqualification" (the new benefit year). I called customer service again, and the Asheville office, and was told that Raleigh had to "run a program" SOMETIME this month for my previous claim to be "pulled forward" so that I would continue my tier II, etc. I am not changing tiers and I don't get a new benefit year, so why does my benefits STOP till they decide to run a program? That answer bites when this is my only source of income at the present time. (And for those who say I am not looking for work . . .believe me, I AM!! I HAVE applied at Wal-Mart, Kmart, McDonald's, Burger King, EVERYWHERE . . . and so have a 100's of other people!! I'm told "we have a lot of applications on file, we'll give you a call" ) Can someone please help with an answer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcole View Post
This morning I called 1-866-795-8877 to try again for some help on my claim and some answers. Well . . . the person I talked with was NOT helpful and I seemed to be bothering them. I was told that the computer programmers were trying to "tweet" the program to work and WHEN it did, THEN it would "pull forward" my remaining EUC tier II balance and THEN I would get paid. I asked if there was nothing anyone could do manually to do that and she said "NO, there is not". She said just keep filing my weekly certification and sooner or later it will happen. I DID NOT ASK TO BE UNEMPLOYED and have no income to pay my bills or buy food for my son. I have applied for full time AND part time employment . . . along with thousands of other people. Places can't hire 20 people to take turns working 1 position. The competition is harsh. The lady this morning said they had ran the program once and it did not pull the accounts forward, so they are "working on it". What do we do in the meantime? My savings ran out a few months after I was first laid off, and there certainly has been no way to add back to it. No, I do not qualify for a NEW benefit year, I had received 5 payments of my EUC tier II, so I just need to continue my balance on that. Why are they making it so hard during these times?
Unfortunately, the information you were given both times was correct. Those folks that did not meet the "6x rule" and didn't qualify for a new benefit year (even though they have enough wages in the base period) are waiting for a separate programming package to be completed in order that their unused EUC and/or EB be pulled forward. When this 6x rule went into effect on 5/16, the estimated timeframe for the programming was 3 weeks. So they're still within what they estimated. I came across three claims today that are waiting for the same thing. I know it doesn't do you any good in the interim, but like the rep said, continue doing your certifying and when the programming is complete it should pay you all the weeks you've certified. Hopefully it won't be much longer. Most of the folks at the local offices are at the mercy of the central office for information...much of which is not that forthcoming. Believe it or not, we only found out about the 6x rule about a week before it was to go into effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgem526 View Post
My husband just got back from unemployment so I thought Id post the skinny. He went there to see about any pull forwards since his benefit year ends on June 12, and he is listed as benefits exhausted. The unemployment worker said before congress left to leave the vote to senate they extended benefits by 1/2 week + $25 bonus. So those of you exhausted or not getting your extention money should qualify for the same 50 percent and $25 since that is how it was voted on.

Second, he also said (which most of us know) we have to exhaust all the tiers which he called pots of money in order to do any pull forwards. He expects Senate to vote for this extention supposedly, then their understanding is if it is left alone teir 5 will bring in more benefits for people through November. Since my husbands benefit yr ends in June he will not be effected but will get the extention like everyone else. Hopefully though by then he or I have a job so it wont matter. But I just wanted to let everyone know what we were told this morning. There should be a half a week and the $25 to those who have exhausted benefits this week. Call or go into the office and make sure you get it if you have to.
Also visit this website. Its for unemployed americans who are uniting to work together to push congress and senate to do the right thing. Yesterday they had a radio show asking for people to send in their stories for a segment thatll be airing. They also get emails to Senator Reids assistants, and things like that. I think theres a facebook link there too, thats how I get all my messages about who to write to and on what day. http://joblessunite.yolasite.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgem526 View Post
Same thing happened to my husband. See my post under yours. You may be getting that 50 percent check plys $25 this week. My husbands last week was less then half what we normally get, but our worker said thats how it was doled out but there was one more half week voted by congress before they left for break.
I haven't heard about any of this, and I suspect you were misinformed. HALF of Congress (the House) voted on extending the EUC program last week, then the other HALF (the Senate) went on break, expected to return June 7th and take up the issue sometime shortly thereafter. With just HALF a vote, nothing has been extended at this time. The EUC program lapsed today...meaning that the program has ended until it's extended. Anyone currently in a tier will continue that tier until exhausted (if otherwise eligible), but then would not go into the next tier until the Senate also votes and finalizes the extension. So someone who exhausts Tier 3 this week, for example, would not go into Tier 4 until the extension has been voted on and implemented. No EUC payments, half or otherwise.

There is no Tier 5. The EUC ends with Tier 4 and the pending legislation does not include NEW extensions, it only extends the validity period of the current extension programs (EUC and EB). It does not add extra weeks.

The half payment that was received by someone could have been a) the "14th week" of Tier 2 that was a portion of a regular payment or, b) the last drop of money in that particular pot. When someone works and reports earnings from part time employment or whatever, anything over their earnings allowance is deducted from their weekly benefit amount, thus throwing off the "even-ness" of their payments. When they get to the last payment in that pot of money, it's very likely that the last payment will be short, because essentially the prior week's payment may have ultimately, supposedly been the last payment, but because they had earnings that reduced their weekly benefit amount for one or more weeks, the number of weeks they were eligible for that benefit was extended out. Even if there is $1 left in that pot of money for that last payment, that's what it'd be. Short payments are not augmented by another pot of money to make up the difference. It's not a bad thing...because supposedly someone was eligible for more weeks of benefits due to having earned something at some point through the process.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:28 PM

11 posts, read 48,204 times
Thanks for all the advice on here. I don't exactly understand how it all works. My benefit year ends on 6/12. My benefits exhausted this past week. I got a letter to fill out to determine my elidgability yesterday and it said it needed to be turned in by 6/14. I assume this is for the new benefit year. I got paid my final check on 6/16/09 and it was for a whole month. $$-wise it does amount to the $4000~ rule thing. Could you be kind enough to give some insight? I did have a Census job and that lasted 3 weeks with about $1000 in pay.

Thanks. I've been a lurker and thank everyone for their kind advice.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 PM

17 posts, read 28,725 times
To "jdljr" . . . thank you very much. No one had told me that this was first mentioned 5/16 and estimated for 3 weeks to complete. I understand that problems can arise, but I do feel a little better now. Thanks again for taking the time to inform me a little better.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 AM

616 posts, read 1,535,950 times
Default One Week!

I beg to differ (somewhat) on that statement.

I had part-time work in Year 2, that stretched my benefits out so that I exhausted regular UI the week ending 5/29/10. In Year 1 I had used Tier 1 (20 wks.) and part of TIer 2 (6 weeks). Then I had to start a new benefit year.

The NC ESC web site says:
"Individuals must exhaust regular UI benefits no later than the week ending May 22, 2010 and qualify for EUC08 Tier 1 effective May 23, 2010. Individuals must exhaust the first, second, or third tier of EUC08 no later than the week ending May 29, 2010 to qualify for the next higher tier."
ONE WEEK! I missed the frickin' cut-off by one week! I hope that the statement on the web site is somewhat inaccurate, and it will be possible to pull forward unused tiers. Who knows? Maybe the final disposition of this rests with the upcoming Senate vote.

All I really want is a job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Hi you aren't actually penalized by working, it just stretches your monies out further.
OK, it sounds like you were in tier 1 when your first benefit year ended as that would've been 20 weeks based on your initial starting amount of 25 weeks.
Tier one is 80% of that.
Then when that year ended in March, you did start a new benefit year.
No matter what happens ,you will always start a new year at the end of your fitst, it doesn't alkays take if you didn't work enough quarters, but it sounds like you did.
So now what will happen, is that you will either transition into another set of tiers for this new benefit year, or if you don't qualify by the 1.5 rule then , they'll let you know and they'll pullforward you remaining tier monies from the first year.
By you working, you ended in tier one, so you'll collect all of the rest of that and then go into tier 2, 3, 1 extra week called the 14th week and then tier 4 no state money (EB) can be pulled forward.
So your working did actually help you in the long run.
We all still have to wait for the senate to get back from memorial break this Friday to vote on the bill to let the extensions date move ahead, since phase out was scheduled to end by the end of May.. now.
You may be 1-2 weeks without a check, but that should be tops pending they give a YES vote to extend the date and it's said that they will.
Goodluck,
many of us are in the same boat that your in right now

Old 06-03-2010, 01:41 PM

28 posts, read 39,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Assuming your still in your 1st benefit year,
You should go straight into tier 3, then 1 extra week of 50% benefits (called week 14) then tier 4., then last but not least EB (state money) you get that last if you reach that point and have no other disqualifications on file , it's usually 20 weeks .
Basically you get all tiers if approved for the first tier.
We're at a standstill right now since the phase out date for extensions was set for the end of May, but the house passed the bill to move the date til Nov 30th, we just have to wait til the senate gets back and let them vote to finalize that bill.

keep filing no matter what, if the bill passes, they'll retro pay you whatever weeks that they missed due to the senate bill vote, then you'll resume with your tier 3.
Goodluck
Thanks for the insight. I am in my second benefit year. After reading all of these VERY helpful posts, it looks like I'm waiting for the Senate to vote to extend. I did finally get through to the ESC yesterday, but the person was of little help. All they could say was 'If your status says Benefits exhausted, that's the deal' They couldn't answer any questions about the tiers, etc................

Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 PM

12 posts, read 38,340 times
Hi again!
I just have two quick questions-jdjlr, what is the "6x rule"?
And, how many weeks of Tier 4 are there? Is it 6? I thought it was only 4...
Thanks in advance for your help

Old 06-03-2010, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 13,366 times
I have just gone into my 2nd benefit year...I am eligible for 16 weeks.

On June 10th I have been scheduled for a REA meeting. I know that I need to take my resume, and work search records, but that is all I know.

Can anyone give my any more information on what to expect, or what will take place? I called my local office but never get a return call. Will there be employers there? or just ESC staff?

Thanks!!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
I beg to differ (somewhat) on that statement.

I had part-time work in Year 2, that stretched my benefits out so that I exhausted regular UI the week ending 5/29/10. In Year 1 I had used Tier 1 (20 wks.) and part of TIer 2 (6 weeks). Then I had to start a new benefit year.

The NC ESC web site says:
"Individuals must exhaust regular UI benefits no later than the week ending May 22, 2010 and qualify for EUC08 Tier 1 effective May 23, 2010. Individuals must exhaust the first, second, or third tier of EUC08 no later than the week ending May 29, 2010 to qualify for the next higher tier."
ONE WEEK! I missed the frickin' cut-off by one week! I hope that the statement on the web site is somewhat inaccurate, and it will be possible to pull forward unused tiers. Who knows? Maybe the final disposition of this rests with the upcoming Senate vote.

All I really want is a job!
The statement on the website is completely accurate, and means just what it says...that folks drawing regular UI had to exhaust their regular UI on or before May 22, 2010 in order to be eligible to enter Tier 1 EUC (if qualified). Similarly, folks already in EUC had to exhaust whatever tier they were in on or before May 29, 2010 in order to be eligible to go into the next higher (sequential) tier. Anyone in the middle of a Tier would be allowed to continue that tier until they exhausted it but would not be eligible for any remaining EUC. The EUC program, without further action by Congress, has essentially ended. When the Senate returns from their recess, they should be taking up the legislation to extend the EUC program. Of course we're all expecting a vote from the Senate to extend the program but no one can say with certainty what will happen when they return.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex278 View Post
Thanks for all the advice on here. I don't exactly understand how it all works. My benefit year ends on 6/12. My benefits exhausted this past week. I got a letter to fill out to determine my elidgability yesterday and it said it needed to be turned in by 6/14. I assume this is for the new benefit year. I got paid my final check on 6/16/09 and it was for a whole month. $$-wise it does amount to the $4000~ rule thing. Could you be kind enough to give some insight? I did have a Census job and that lasted 3 weeks with about $1000 in pay.

Thanks. I've been a lurker and thank everyone for their kind advice.
I believe the $4,550 wages earned between the date the benefit year started and the date the benefit year ended need to be from a different employer than the one you were originally laid off from (unless you've been on temporary unemployment) and the wages must span at least two quarters of your benefit year. When your benefit year ends you'll need to file for a new one if you still wish to continue to receive benefits. At the time you file for the new benefit year, the system will look for those earnings and if it doesn't find them, it will set a "65" issue on your claim which will need to be resolved by your local office (or Raleigh) before any unused extension money can be pulled forward from your old benefit year into your new benefit year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or