Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times

Advertisements

It was just on the news that there were problems with the computers crashing and they are not sure about getting them up tomorrow. They suggested calling or going in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 04:54 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowpumpkin View Post
I am hoping someone can help me out, but please no comments about why I have not found a job. I am currently receiving unemployment and have been since last August. My benefit year just expired, however with the extensions it seems that I should have another few weeks left. It will not let me file online anymore, saying that the benefit year has ended. Does anyone know if I need to submit a new claim to get a new benefit year, or how it works in NC? Or maybe you can only collect for one benefit year regardless of the extensions that are out there right now? I've never collected unemployment before this, and hope to never collect again as I finally have a promising job situation coming up......I tried calling today but was on hold for 2 hours...just thought maybe someone here has been in this situation......
If your benefit year ended, you must file a new claim in order for your unemployment to continue.

In order to qualify to file a new claim, you must have wages of at least $4,550 spread out over at least two of the four quarters in the base period (right now the last three quarters of 2008 and the first quarter of 2009). If you can't establish a claim using the regular base period, you can try the alternate base period, which entails using the 2nd quarter of 2009, but dropping the 2nd quarter of 2008. If you ARE able to establish a new claim, any extension money left on your previous claim is lost.

If you are NOT able to establish a new claim (don't have enough wages in the base period), you must attempt a new claim anyway if you want to try and go back and get the remaining EUC08 or EB on your previous claim. A new benefit year would be established for you for purposes of being able to draw your remaining extension money.

Keep in mind that if you are able to establish a new claim, your weekly benefit amount will likely be different. It just depends on what's in your base period. Take your high quarter of wages in the base period and divide by 26. That gives you your weekly benefit amount.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 22,324 times
I have a similar question. My benefits started in August 2008 and just recently expired while I was on my first extension. I submitted a new claim and was approved for a new benefit year for 14 weeks of unemployment. So, I have two questions: How did they calculate the length to be 14 weeks (rather than 26 like the original benefit year), and once the 14 weeks runs out will I eligible for an extension again like I was on my original benefit year?

I have been applying everywhere for months and months and months and have not been able to find a job. I've never seen anything like this in my life. (And I've never collected unemployment in my life either). I am very nervous about my unemployment benefits running out before I am able to find something. I'm so afraid we might end up losing our house if that happens.

If someone could let me know how the new benefit year works, I would appreciate.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:08 PM

716 posts, read 1,545,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melrose011 View Post
I have a similar question. My benefits started in August 2008 and just recently expired while I was on my first extension. I submitted a new claim and was approved for a new benefit year for 14 weeks of unemployment. So, I have two questions: How did they calculate the length to be 14 weeks (rather than 26 like the original benefit year), and once the 14 weeks runs out will I eligible for an extension again like I was on my original benefit year?

I have been applying everywhere for months and months and months and have not been able to find a job. I've never seen anything like this in my life. (And I've never collected unemployment in my life either). I am very nervous about my unemployment benefits running out before I am able to find something. I'm so afraid we might end up losing our house if that happens.

If someone could let me know how the new benefit year works, I would appreciate.

I think they calculate it on Tiers if I am not mistaken. I will also add that I have been collecting unemployment for just over a year now and my benefit year end date is expired and my remaining balance has remained 0 the past 3 months but I am still able to file and collect my weekly benefit amount. I kind of wonder to myself how do they actually quantify what they are paying people if they are paying out on an expired year and if the remaining balance is zero?

Its just like going to your bank with a zero balance and telling them you want to withdraw 400 dollars on a savings account with zero in it and yet they still give it to you.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrose011 View Post

It ALL has to do with what's in your base period.

Duration of your claim is calculated like this: They add up all of your wages in the base period (right now it's the last three quarters of 2008 and the first quarter of 2009), divide that number by the high quarter in the base period, and then multiply that amount by 8.66. UI pays anywhere from a minimum of 13 weeks to a maximum of 26 weeks (there's a common misconception that unemployment is ALWAYS 26 weeks. It isn't.). Now, if you didn't qualify for a claim using the regular base period, they would have built one using the alternate base period, which entails instead using the 2nd quarter of 2009, and dropping the 2nd quarter of 2008. Whatever base period you used, you had to have wages of at least $4,550 spanning at least two quarters of the base period.

You do not automatically receive extensions, you have to qualify monetarily. Again, using your base period, the total base period wages must equal 1-1/2 (one and one half) times your high quarter in the base period to monetarily qualify. In other words, if your high quarter of wages in the base period is $10,000, then the total wages in your base period must equal $15,000 or more to qualify for ANY extension.

If you do qualify, just keep certifying each week and the change from regular UI to an extension should be transparent to you.

Last edited by jdljr; 08-22-2009 at 08:23 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
I think they calculate it on Tiers if I am not mistaken. I will also add that I have been collecting unemployment for just over a year now and my benefit year end date is expired and my remaining balance has remained 0 the past 3 months but I am still able to file and collect my weekly benefit amount. I kind of wonder to myself how do they actually quantify what they are paying people if they are paying out on an expired year and if the remaining balance is zero?

Its just like going to your bank with a zero balance and telling them you want to withdraw 400 dollars on a savings account with zero in it and yet they still give it to you.
The system will not allow payments on an expired benefit year. Somewhere along the lines, either you or they must have set up a new benefit year, OR, you did not qualify for a new claim so they established a new benefit year for you so that you could collect any remaining Extended Benefits on your prior claim.

Of course I'm referring to the NC UI system. You're collecting from CA, so I'm not sure exactly what their funky UI system is doing.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 108,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Monetary eligibility - One misconception many people have is that when their regular UI runs out, they'll automatically get an extension (because so many do). THIS IS NOT THE CASE. There is a mathematical formula applied to the wages in the base period that must be met in order to qualify. That formula requires that your total base period wages MUST equal 1-1/2 times the high quarter in the base period.
My regular UI benefits are running out very soon. For clarification on the mathematical formula quoted above, is it that your total base period wages MUST be EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN 1-1/2 times the high quarter? My total base is greater thatn 1-1/2 times my highest quarter so I think I qualify based upon the formula but wanted to be sure since the original formula only specified "equal." Thanks so much if anyone is able to clarify and I pray that all of us will find new employment very soon!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc43 View Post
My regular UI benefits are running out very soon. For clarification on the mathematical formula quoted above, is it that your total base period wages MUST be EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN 1-1/2 times the high quarter? My total base is greater thatn 1-1/2 times my highest quarter so I think I qualify based upon the formula but wanted to be sure since the original formula only specified "equal." Thanks so much if anyone is able to clarify and I pray that all of us will find new employment very soon!
Yes, you are correct. Total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1 1/2 times the high quarter in order to be monetarily eligible for an extension.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 AM

692 posts, read 1,707,074 times
What is the high quarter?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:52 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,074 times
ok total base period wages are what you earned ? all year? total wages earned in a year devided by 4? boy do i feel stupid i cannot figure this out!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina