U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,144,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Sounds like it. You and I are in the same boat, the same letter and the exact same explanation.
I did collect to the middle of tier 2 in yr one.
I'm no math genius, but I think I'm fairly intelligent enough to do the 1.5 math and I still don't understand how they say I'm able to go into new EUC tiers for yr 2.???? It doesn't add up at all!
I went to the local office saw the screen and they explained til they were tired of explaining. All I can say is that after I file this Sunday and collect EB until I get the supposed yr 2 tiers 1-EB , they better not send me one of their famous "OOPs we made a mistake and your NOT eligible for any EUC in yr 2 and we mistakinly gave you EB(state money) and now you have to pay it back before we can pullforard your yr one tiers".... UGH! This has happened to others I've talked to on this forum, so I know it can happen.
I feel so cynical and I hate that I've become like this, but I've heard so much from others about this.
I worked up until the end of Jan '09 and that's it except for some days this past Jan PT, which wouldn't have counted toward a new set of EUC. this yr.
I would have made more (weekly) had they pulled forward my tier 2-4 from the 1st year, instead of a quck round of 1-EB at such a lower weekly rate til Nov 30th.
I'm filing Sunday and will collect EB til the senate gets going, but Oh boy is this scary if I get an Overpayment!!!
Keep in mind that what you THINK your wages may be, and what has actually been reported by your employer may be different. Did they show you the W6 screen when you were there, which would show your quarterly wages, and those quarters used to determine eligibility for your 2nd benefit year? It should be the same as your monetary determination you received in the mail for your 2nd benefit year. And you've probably already done the 1.5x math with that to figure out if you'd qualify for the extensions in the new benefit year. Hard to say, but I, too, hope they're right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
one of my followups:

"so are you saying that going into EB of Year 2 negates pulling forward unused Tier 1-4 monies from benefit Year 1?
but that with Congressional action i would go to Tier 1 of the 2nd benefit year?"

answer:

"The only way that extension funds can be pulled forward from your prior claim is if you did not qualify for extension funds based on your current claim. You have qualified for an extension on your current claim, so no money will be pulled forward from your prior claim.

EUC funds are paid out before EB funds. So, if EUC is reinstated, your eligibility for EUC will be determined, and if eligible, you will be paid from EUC, as as mentioned, your EB will be pushed out to the end of your claim. Also, as mentioned, any eligibility for extension funds will be based on your current claim."

this sounds like my Year 1 Tiers are gone for good...yes? even tho i only used 14 weeks of Tier 1.
That was actually a very good answer from a rep...for once!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 PM

656 posts, read 1,020,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Keep in mind that what you THINK your wages may be, and what has actually been reported by your employer may be different. Did they show you the W6 screen when you were there, which would show your quarterly wages, and those quarters used to determine eligibility for your 2nd benefit year? It should be the same as your monetary determination you received in the mail for your 2nd benefit year. And you've probably already done the 1.5x math with that to figure out if you'd qualify for the extensions in the new benefit year. Hard to say, but I, too, hope they're right!
You and I both!
They did show me the W6 screen and my rep was very nice and offered to show me the screen after I showed her my calculations and explained my concern.
She was also very steadafst that I do qualify for year 2 EUC, thus allowing this EB until if and when the vote comes in., so I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they're right

Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,714 times
Default thankyou JDLJR

Quote:
If you monetarily meet the requirement to receive extensions, then you should receive Tier 1 when/if the Senate votes to extend the EUC program. You may want to find out from someone at your local office if you qualify for EB - Extended Benefits - (same monetary requirement for EUC) and if you do, they can do a "B1" transaction to build the EB on your claim and you can receive that while waiting for the EUC program to be extended.

The monetary requirement is that your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in the base period. Simple example: Say the high quarter in your base period is $10,000. You would, therefore, need at least $15,000 total base period wages in order to qualify for any EUC or EB.
i will look into this process on monday afternoon

Old 06-12-2010, 10:11 PM

10 posts, read 15,410 times
I'm super confused at the moment, and maybe someone here can help me out.

I am on my second UI claim. After my first claim, I gained employment for nearly 90 days, and made a decent amount of money in that time. I was laid off from that job in April of 2009, and re-filed for benefits around the end of June of 2009. They put me back on my existing claim, and I received funds for most of the remainder of the year. Some time in September or October, my benefits were exhausted, and I seamlessly moved in to "Tier 2" as the rep I spoke to put it. I simply kept filing.

When my benefit year expired in late November/early December, I re-filed for unemployment. The rep told me that I qualified for an entirely new claim, since I had worked and earned sufficient income during 2009. I was put on a new claim, and my weekly benefit amount increased by almost double (the job in 2009 paid $60k/year compared to the previous job of $19k/year).

My current benefit year ends on 4 December 2010. However, as of this week (W/E 12 June) my benefits have been exhausted! What do I do? My benefits exhausted AFTER 22 May. Will I still get benefits? The last person I spoke to at the ESC wasn't very helpful in answering my questions. I cannot call them on Sunday (I think?) and I'm very worried that I won't be receiving any additional funds.

Can anyone help me out with some info? Does anyone have some experience they can throw at me here? What can I do from here?

Edit: My concern over the date of 22 May is this, listed on the ESC's website:

EUC08 Q&As: Individuals must exhaust regular UI benefits no later than the week ending May 22, 2010 and qualify for EUC08 Tier 1 effective May 23, 2010. Individuals must exhaust the first, second, or third tier of EUC08 no later than the week ending May 29, 2010 to qualify for the next higher tier.

My regular UI benefits expired after the specified date. Am I just out of luck here? Any info would be much appreciated.

Last edited by shadowas; 06-12-2010 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Added additional information.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:21 PM
tyg

16 posts, read 69,278 times
Quote:
I hope it works out for you too, I know in my office we can waive them up to about a month if we have the firm start date on company letterhead. Good luck!
Thanks jdljr...I did finally get the waiver yesterday, after a lot of headache. So that's settled.

Now I have another issue: I have been traveling cross country for the past four days & my roommate in NC said I received the eligibility review letter in the mail a few days ago. While I was dealing with the waiver, I was also asking about the review & what to do since I obviously cannot attend in person. I was told that it would be taken care of; however yesterday I was told at 4:45pm that in fact I had to call the interstate claims. Well, they closed at 4:30pm Friday!

So my appointment is at 9am Monday, and I'm now 3 hours behind NC time. I'm going to try my best to start calling the interstate number the minute they open on Monday. Hopefully I'll get through in time. I'm really frustrated with the runaround & misinformation I've gotten from the Cary office. If I'd been given correct info initially, this would have been addressed before the end of this past week. I really do not want this to be adjudicated if I don't appear, as I was counting on this money until I start work. Do you have any idea what might happen considering my circumstances?

P.S. I think you should be promoted to the official NCESC employee trainer jdljr, as you are always straightforward & knowledgable. Very refreshing & wish I'd been going to your office all along!! Thanks for all your help, I am immensely grateful!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyg View Post
Thanks jdljr...I did finally get the waiver yesterday, after a lot of headache. So that's settled.

Now I have another issue: I have been traveling cross country for the past four days & my roommate in NC said I received the eligibility review letter in the mail a few days ago. While I was dealing with the waiver, I was also asking about the review & what to do since I obviously cannot attend in person. I was told that it would be taken care of; however yesterday I was told at 4:45pm that in fact I had to call the interstate claims. Well, they closed at 4:30pm Friday!

So my appointment is at 9am Monday, and I'm now 3 hours behind NC time. I'm going to try my best to start calling the interstate number the minute they open on Monday. Hopefully I'll get through in time. I'm really frustrated with the runaround & misinformation I've gotten from the Cary office. If I'd been given correct info initially, this would have been addressed before the end of this past week. I really do not want this to be adjudicated if I don't appear, as I was counting on this money until I start work. Do you have any idea what might happen considering my circumstances?

P.S. I think you should be promoted to the official NCESC employee trainer jdljr, as you are always straightforward & knowledgable. Very refreshing & wish I'd been going to your office all along!! Thanks for all your help, I am immensely grateful!
I would do just that...start calling as soon as possible Monday morning and explain that you've moved out of state (or are enroute). They may still want you to mail your work search records for the period in question. They've exempted your work search from the date you asked, forward. But ESC would want to see your work search records for the four to six weeks previous to that. Hopefully, with you telling them that you've relocated, they'd allow you to just mail them, as they would have needed to change your claim to an interstate claim anyway.

Unfortunately, when it's EB that's being received, there are very tight stipulations, and if they're not met, sometimes there is little that can be done except have any issue adjudicated in Raleigh. I hope it doesn't come to that for you, but just be prepared. I know awhile back, you mentioned you were afraid of this happening.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowas View Post
I'm super confused at the moment, and maybe someone here can help me out.

I am on my second UI claim. After my first claim, I gained employment for nearly 90 days, and made a decent amount of money in that time. I was laid off from that job in April of 2009, and re-filed for benefits around the end of June of 2009. They put me back on my existing claim, and I received funds for most of the remainder of the year. Some time in September or October, my benefits were exhausted, and I seamlessly moved in to "Tier 2" as the rep I spoke to put it. I simply kept filing.

When my benefit year expired in late November/early December, I re-filed for unemployment. The rep told me that I qualified for an entirely new claim, since I had worked and earned sufficient income during 2009. I was put on a new claim, and my weekly benefit amount increased by almost double (the job in 2009 paid $60k/year compared to the previous job of $19k/year).

My current benefit year ends on 4 December 2010. However, as of this week (W/E 12 June) my benefits have been exhausted! What do I do? My benefits exhausted AFTER 22 May. Will I still get benefits? The last person I spoke to at the ESC wasn't very helpful in answering my questions. I cannot call them on Sunday (I think?) and I'm very worried that I won't be receiving any additional funds.

Can anyone help me out with some info? Does anyone have some experience they can throw at me here? What can I do from here?

Edit: My concern over the date of 22 May is this, listed on the ESC's website:

EUC08 Q&As: Individuals must exhaust regular UI benefits no later than the week ending May 22, 2010 and qualify for EUC08 Tier 1 effective May 23, 2010. Individuals must exhaust the first, second, or third tier of EUC08 no later than the week ending May 29, 2010 to qualify for the next higher tier.

My regular UI benefits expired after the specified date. Am I just out of luck here? Any info would be much appreciated.
If it's the EUC series of extensions (Tier 1, 2, 3, 4) you're waiting to pay, that program expired June 2. You and many others are awaiting Senate approval to extend the program. When/If the Senate votes to extend the program, then ESC will have to reprogram computers to accept that new expiration date, then the EUC program will begin paying again. I would keep certifying each week, and any week for which you've certified will be payable (so long as you're otherwise eligible) when/if the program gets extended.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:41 AM

17 posts, read 29,325 times
To jdljr . . . I have a question: My pullforwards finally happened on the 9th and I got 2 weeks benefits pay on Friday. Today, I did my weekly certification. At the end, it said "you claim has been accepted but cannot be processed for payment because of a prior disqualification". On my claim profile tab, it shows the "new benefit year" with the smaller payment amount, but on the benefit payment tab it shows the prior year amount and those two payments I received last week. My question is: Is this normal? I did received a letter yesterday saying my EUC tier I had been on had been pulled forward and that is what I would be receiving. Is the computer just being squirrelly?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 7,747 times
I may have an opportunity to work as a temporary employee that will last about 4-6 weeks but will be paid as if I am a sub contractor with no taxes taken out. My question(s) are:

1.) If I am paid say $2000 for the work preformed over the six week period and paid in one lump sum, will that money need to be offset with the benefit money or lose EUC benefits just for the week that I am actually paid? (in other words do I lose $2000 of benefits for the $2000 actually worked?)

2.) I will be an employee with the company and officially on there payroll for the 4-6 week period. Will that end my EUC benefits even after the work is complete?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or