U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 05:22 PM

616 posts, read 1,568,213 times

Advertisements

Thanks shanayamookie! Your experience is reassuring.

I am in Gaston County, nearer to the west side of Charlotte.

My records are in an Excel workbook - the date I applied, contact or company, position title and a little more info about the position - how I applied (online app, email resume, etc.) - and then a field for follow-up notes. Sadly too many entries say No response or Not qualified or Called and left messages but no response.. :-(

I do keep a screen shot of the job itself, the qualifications, etc. to jog my memory and just in case someone asks about it.

There is so much unemployment that I haven't even been able to get "informational interviews". I think managers are overworked and HR people are overwhelmed, plus they don't want to get saddled with someone who sits in their office and begs for a job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanayamookie View Post
KC~Carolina, I'm happy to share my experience as I have been to 3 reviews and will go to my fourth next Tuesday....I live in Charlotte, NC. Once my name is called, I go back to a little cubby area with a person, who usually asks, "So, how is the job search going?" I share some generalities and my hopes for a position, when I have one. I then show them the job search records for the weeks since my last visit. They peruse them and may ask a question or comment on one (i.e., twice the lady was glad to see that I've tried to apply outside of Charlotte). In my case, as a School Psychologist, they will look to see that I've applied or tried to apply for those positions, which are being cut every year. Twice, the lady gave me a suggestion of another district and she expressed empathy re: job cuts in schools. The first guy was also very pleasant, but not as interested in the job search. I was worried about all of it. Most school systems require you to apply online now, so I just indicate that I attempted to apply on the job search record and the outcome, such as "no positions posted." I also use monster and apply online as well for related positions. Really, it was a breeze and took all of 6-7 minutes. They were very friendly. They did not require any one person's name as a contact. They also ask questions to make sure you're not receiving retirement or any other pay. Then, they key something in the computer and you're on your way for another four weeks. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 PM

616 posts, read 1,568,213 times
Good luck to you KC~Carolina! Keep your chin up! We are about the same age ... I too am back in school in an online program at CPCC.

What are you studying?

Let's all stay positive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Hi, so I'm a day ahead of you
well I feel a little better after reading Shanayamookie's post. It's hard to get to speak to the HR person unless they call you back for the interview.
I've had 6 callbacks in 1 1/2 years and lost out... deflating to say the least.
I just started EB June 8th, but I knew the "Letter" would be in the mail soon

I hope jdljr will clarify exactly if it's (ok) to file online for your means of contact while you collect EB. That's been my method the past 5 weeks.
Goodluck to you!
I'll post back after my eligibility review

Old 06-22-2010, 05:56 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,148,476 times
Quote:
So how is it possible to collect everything in your 2nd benefit year and then revert back to unused year one extension money?
I thought once you qualified for UI and a new set of extensions and also EB in yr 2, that was all she wrote?
Or.. could it be that if you still had months left before your year ended they would send you back to get the year one money you left off with? (whew)
I'm not sure actually what's allowed or how they've programmed the system. That sounds terrible, but I just haven't ran across that many claims that used everything in the 2nd benefit year and still had things left from the first benefit year. They MAY allow unused prior benefit year funds to be drawn upon after exhausting everything in the current benefit year, I just have not seen too many of these to know.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocsmile View Post
I called up my local NCESC office and was told that in order to collect EB I had to file a claim from the NCESC web site even though I'm only at the end of Tier 1.

Is this correct? I don't want to mess anything up if this was erroneous info.

Again, thanks a bunch!
L
Yea, if you're currently at the "benefits exhausted" stage because you can't transition to the next Tier of EUC since the program hasn't been extended, you should be able to do a transaction on the website (click "File a Claim" to try to build EB into the claim if you're eligible for EB. Just make sure you definitely ARE at the end of a Tier. I saw a claim today where someone inadvertently clicked on "File a Claim" instead of "File Weekly Certification" last time she went to certify, and it built the EB on her claim and paid last week from EB - problem is, she was in the middle of Tier 3 so it switched her over to EB prematurely. I am having to talk to my Manager about how to get her back to Tier 3 (although I am trying a transaction on her claim tonight to see if that works...hopefully not to mess it up further, lol).

Old 06-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanayamookie View Post
Jdlr, I have a quick question. I am going for eligibility reviews approx every 4 weeks and they have gone well. I'm concerned that I may be on vacation when the next one rolls around, later in July. I'm sure that is a common problem in summer. What should I do about that? Will I be penalized if I have to reschedule? I could go in earlier, rather than later, if that would be helpful. Suggestions?
I know in MY office, we can conduct them early if need be, but if you're scheduled for a certain day and miss it without calling it will stop your claim. In my office (and I believe the general rule is), if you miss your appointment, as long as you still report during the same week, it shouldn't affect your claim.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
jdljr,
another question concerning (my) upcoming eligibility review on JUne 30th . This will be my first review and I have all my job search records since day 1.
I suppose what I need to know, is since I just started collecting EB, does my job search documenting need to be any different than what I've been already filling out on the forms.
Do I need to get a name of the person I leave my applications with ect..?
Or, is it still allowed to send in resume's online and list the company and date you sent them.

I don't want to have anything go wrong at this review and it has my nerves rattled some.
Thanks,
KC
Although I don't normally conduct reviews, as far as I know you don't have to begin keeping track of names of individuals you've left applications with. I do know that they want actual addresses of businesses that you've contacted (as opposed to just the City). They're getting stricter about that.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
my question is....

i have an active issue on my claim (because i dont qualify for EB or extensions) but I do have money that they are "pulling forward" from my 1st yr. Ive had different answers.. will I get paid this week? I had to reopen my claim last week for the pull forward but I never got paid. The local ESC can't help me because I live in cali and I called the remote services number and as soon as they answered.. they hung up (irritating). The rep I spoke to yesterday said it shouldnt be a problem. I'd like to know for certain because (like everyone else) I have kids and my husband is military so we really don't make much anyway. Ugh.. good luck everyone
The active issue should have nothing to do with not qualifying for EB or extensions. No issues are set on claims if you don't qualify for extensions. So I'm not sure what the issue is (could be the 65 issue from starting a new benefit year but not qualifying for it based on no earnings during the previous benefit year - and if that's the case, you MAY get the active issue message every week that you file but it would still release funds). It may not be this, though. I would have no idea without seeing the claim.

I really empathize with you that you're out of state and can only rely on the remote service center for information. Often they are less than helpful. I know it's a pain, but if I were you I'd call them back (begin EARLY) and work my way up to a supervisor to try and find someone that can explain your status to you in terms that you can understand. While they may not be able to commit to an actual date of a pull-forward run, they should be able to tell you exactly what the issue is, whether it's been resolved and what you're waiting for.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 PM

889 posts, read 2,850,386 times
Ok Jdljr!
This is so darn confusing it makes my head hurt!
I worked from July 1 08 until getting laid off in Aug. of 2009.
My benefit year started on 8-16-2009 and says i end on 8-14-2010.
My claim status now say my benefits are exhausted.
Do i open a new claim or do you think this is it,no more to be had?
Thanks!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Ok Jdljr!
This is so darn confusing it makes my head hurt!
I worked from July 1 08 until getting laid off in Aug. of 2009.
My benefit year started on 8-16-2009 and says i end on 8-14-2010.
My claim status now say my benefits are exhausted.
Do i open a new claim or do you think this is it,no more to be had?
Thanks!
I would have no idea without looking at the claim. You may just be at the end of an EUC tier and not able to get into the next tier because you're waiting for the Senate vote. Or you may truly be exhausted. Someone would have to do some checking. If you're at the end of an EUC tier, you may be able to collect EB while waiting for the EUC program to be extended (if you qualify). When your benefit year ends on Aug 14, you may have wages in the base period to qualify for another benefit year (if you've also worked and earned at least $4,550 during your current benefit year). Otherwise, you would still attempt the new benefit year, but just continue with your unused extension money.

All of this has to do with specifics of a claim and I really can't help with specifics since I can't see the claim. Your best bet is to sit down with someone at your local office and have them explain your status to you.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:24 PM

193 posts, read 257,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
The active issue should have nothing to do with not qualifying for EB or extensions. No issues are set on claims if you don't qualify for extensions. So I'm not sure what the issue is (could be the 65 issue from starting a new benefit year but not qualifying for it based on no earnings during the previous benefit year - and if that's the case, you MAY get the active issue message every week that you file but it would still release funds). It may not be this, though. I would have no idea without seeing the claim.

I really empathize with you that you're out of state and can only rely on the remote service center for information. Often they are less than helpful. I know it's a pain, but if I were you I'd call them back (begin EARLY) and work my way up to a supervisor to try and find someone that can explain your status to you in terms that you can understand. While they may not be able to commit to an actual date of a pull-forward run, they should be able to tell you exactly what the issue is, whether it's been resolved and what you're waiting for.

Thanks. I really appreciate it. The person I spoke to today said the pull forward would be tonight.. so I'll cross my fingers and look into my account tomorrow. And if not, I'll start calling first thing..

I really appreciate everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or