U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 14,922 times

Advertisements

I'm waiting myself on my Tier 3 notification. All I can say is I'll remember this come election time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 56,817 times
I am also waiting on the tier 3 letter, with no job prospects. I wll not accept that it takes the ESC of NC this long to do the computer work they mention on the web site, I think that the state of NC has the funds in a bank account somewhere and are making some interest before distributing the benefits. It is BS that the elected officials of our state will not even address the situation to the public on any forum, I'm sure MS.Purdue and her staff and all the other elected folks had a nice Christmas with no financial worries, I will remember this at the next election.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 16,574 times
This site is great & I've learned a lot...kudos! Thanks for all the help. However, I am a new member & 1st time posting. I have not been able to find this info addressed. Hope someone can help...

My 1st tier EUC08 just ran out at the same time my year ended on 12/26. As I have read on this forum I need to fill a new claim to open another benefit year. However if I file today I would qualify for another Regular Benefit Claim for only 20 weeks at a lower weekly amount than I currently received on Tier 1. (base period 7/1/08 to 6/30/09)

My question: If I choose to wait to open a new benefit year until Jan 2010 then the base pay period (10/1/08 to 9/30/09) would pull me in to more current quarters & my understanding through the calculations posted by jdljr is that I would not qualify for a new benefit year but continue on to Tier 2. Is this correct? Also, If I wait till 1/1 to open that new benefit year then would I be able to file my weekly cert. on 1/3 & receive payment that week? FYI, I file online.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:06 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,147,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove3y3s View Post
This site is great & I've learned a lot...kudos! Thanks for all the help. However, I am a new member & 1st time posting. I have not been able to find this info addressed. Hope someone can help...

My 1st tier EUC08 just ran out at the same time my year ended on 12/26. As I have read on this forum I need to fill a new claim to open another benefit year. However if I file today I would qualify for another Regular Benefit Claim for only 20 weeks at a lower weekly amount than I currently received on Tier 1. (base period 7/1/08 to 6/30/09)

My question: If I choose to wait to open a new benefit year until Jan 2010 then the base pay period (10/1/08 to 9/30/09) would pull me in to more current quarters & my understanding through the calculations posted by jdljr is that I would not qualify for a new benefit year but continue on to Tier 2. Is this correct? Also, If I wait till 1/1 to open that new benefit year then would I be able to file my weekly cert. on 1/3 & receive payment that week? FYI, I file online.
You can open a new benefit year at any time after your current benefit year ends. If you wait until 1/3, then yes, the base period changes and will drop 3Q2008 and pick up 3Q2009. If you don't have enough wages in the new base period to qualify for a new, regular UI claim then yes, you can still open a new benefit year and they'll bring forward any unused extension money from your old benefit year.

If you're purposely trying to avoid starting a new, regular UI claim because the weekly benefit amount would be lower - while at the same time trying to preserve your same weekly benefit amount from your old benefit year because it's higher - I'd caution you to MAKE SURE this is what you want to do. You do realize that even if your weekly benefit amount is lower, the new benefit year may qualify you for more weeks than you have left with your old extension money. In the end, even though the weekly benefit amount may be less, you may get more money overall starting over with the new, regular UI claim. Something to call your local office and inquire with a consultant. You may or may not qualify for any extensions in your new benefit year, but a consultant should be able to tell you whether you would meet the monetary requirements to qualify for any extensions with your new benefit year.

If you do qualify and file for a new, regular UI claim now (week beginning today, Dec 27), you will have to wait until the week ends 1/2 to be able to certify for the week. The week must end first before you can certify for it. If you're beginning a new, regular UI claim then you will have to serve a new, non-paid waiting week. If you wait until 1/3 to file and you don't have enough wages in the base period to begin a new, regular UI claim and they pull your old extension money forward into the new benefit year, then you will not have a new waiting week.

Also, if you file a new benefit year 1/1, you're still filing in the old base period because the effective date of the claim goes back to the previous Sunday (12/27). The base period doesn't change until the first full week of the new quarter (1/3), so you'd have to file on that day or later to get into the next base period.

Do what's right for you, but be cognizant about short-changing yourself in the end. Check into whether you'd meet the monetary requirements to qualify for any extensions in your new benefit year. If you would, it may be better to start over with a new, regular UI claim, thus extending the amount of weeks you'd receive benefits.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 AM

18 posts, read 40,704 times
I have my new benefit year, has any decision been made as to whether the extension passed on 11/6 will be part of the old extension money that will be pulled forward onto my new benefit year. My claim says monetarily inelegible and I have not received any letter as of yet. How do you think the ESC will let me know?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 22,463 times
Above you stated that if a person purposely avoids starting a new regular claim. Is it mandatory to do so if in my case benefit year is up on Jan 9th or can I just continue to receive EB's that start next week until I find employment or they are exhausted.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 AM

763 posts, read 1,639,905 times
My DH exhausted all benefits in early November 09...he had already started a new benefit year in October 09. He's had no earnings since May 08, but didn't file for unemployment until Oct. 08. I am hoping he is eligible for the extension....does anyone know the answer to this?

Old 12-28-2009, 12:21 PM

12 posts, read 56,817 times
he should be as long as he jumps when they say jump and records his job search just in case they call him in for a review.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 PM

86 posts, read 156,917 times
has anybody heard anything about when they will send letters and let people file online for tier 3 and 4. NC is probably the last state left standing not distributing benefits from Nov. 6th extension. This is horrible. are they testing people patience? i am sincerely shocked nobody filed a lawsuit yet. when somebody will strike them for multi-million dollars lawsuit for negligence, they will start thinking. this is our money earned not state's. what is wrong with NC ?

Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 PM

64 posts, read 153,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by member2009 View Post
has anybody heard anything about when they will send letters and let people file online for tier 3 and 4. NC is probably the last state left standing not distributing benefits from Nov. 6th extension. This is horrible. are they testing people patience? i am sincerely shocked nobody filed a lawsuit yet. when somebody will strike them for multi-million dollars lawsuit for negligence, they will start thinking. this is our money earned not state's. what is wrong with NC ?
Last I heard, letters would go out around Dec 30th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or