U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 8,527 times

Advertisements

I qualified for 13 weeks of UI in my 2nd benefit year. I had two quarters of "new" income but their total was less than 1.5 times the highest quarter, so no new extensions.
(12/7/08---12/5/09) My first benefit year I recieved 22 weeks UI, 17.6 weeks Tier I, and 11 weeks Tier II.
(12/6/09-12/4/10) Qualified for new claim at start of second benefit year. Recieved 13 weeks UI, one week of "extra" Tier II payment (NCESC said it wasn't paid before due to calculation errors-it was supposed to be 54% not 50%) and 11 weeks of Tier III. (The paperwork recieved from NCESC stated this was for Tier II but the numbers add up to Tier III and I already recieved Tier II in my first benefit year.) Last benefit paid was for benefit week ending 6/05/10 and with that payment I completed Tier III. Ever since then my claim online has said exhausted and was told over the phone I did not qualify for any EB but they couldn"t explain why.
Questions:
1-If and when this extension passes and if it is retroactive will I still recieve Tier IV benefits at 24% of my initial claim from year one?
2-Do I qualify for any EB, either now or after my Tier IV is done?
Thanks for any information. This website and especially this thread has been so informative and a lifeline for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:00 PM

131 posts, read 153,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Yeah. No such thing. I don't know if any of you have noticed any changes...but to be honest...the job market ain't any better now than it was early-2009 when people were getting laid off in droves. I think towards the end of 2009, there was a minimal spike in activity in the job market, but it's been absolutely dreadful since. And I'm especially talking May up thru today...there's not a job to be had. Yet, I'm hearing about unemployment numbers in numerous states going down and people are getting encouraged that, ya know, maybe things are really starting to pick up.

That's until you read the fine print, where in 2 short months, a near 1 MILLION people have given up looking for work. I read that, and I had to pick my mouth up off the floor. I can't say it enough, Washington MUST focus on the private sector (small, medium, large businesses) and trying to figure out what it's going to take to get private sector companies hiring. Enough with breaking for week long recesseseses and vacations...I want them working long, grueling hours trying to develop COMMON SENSE solutions in order to stimulate private sector growth. Lock them in a room, I don't care. Because at this point...I'm not seeing a silver lining in this. There are no clear skies ahead. We've essentially erased 8.5 million jobs in 2.5 years, and all we've done is spent, spent, spent to expand gov't while the private sector remains at idle. Meanwhile, you've got people exhausting almost two years of unemployment...and that only adds up to more record foreclosures, delinquencies, and alot of bankruptcies. Not good.
Yea, our local news is reporting...AGAIN...that unemployment dropped again for like the 4th straight month. This is all they report...no mention of the # that exhausted benes, or have given up, which is where I'm headed, given the bizarre experiences I've racked up searching thus far....adding to the the false assumption that the picture is getting brighter. This has the domino effect of making voters and lawmakers think things are getting better and the need for further benes is unnecessary, and they continue to do nothing. And altho I think Pres. O genuinely thought he had the answers...the partisan politics has always prevented him and every other president, from fully executing their plan into fruition...sometimes this is good, and sometimes not. One thing is for sure regardless of which side you vote on....nobody will neglect seizing any soundbite or opportunity to make it look like things are improving under their power. And that is exactly what is going on now. It won't be long now until this country is in total shambles. Eventually there will be an uprising like has never been seen. And sadly, I'm not joking. I'm not just scared for me, but for the future of our very existence in this country as we know it. It's grim.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:39 PM

30 posts, read 31,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Should revert to EUC, and any prior EB payments while awaiting the extension to pass should revert back to EUC. If just getting ready to start EB, whould be EUC instead if still has EUC left, otherwise would still be EB.
DH is finishing benefit year #2 (didn't use EB or EUC on year #1)... got letter this week saying he is eligible for EB starting July 17 week... so I wasn't sure how a vote to extend EUC would affect him... just GRATEFUL for the EB tho!

Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
I am in my second year of benefits and qualified for EB after congress failed to pass the extensions but haven't received any EU08 in this benefit year.

Do I automatically switch back to EU08 if congress approves the extensions or do I lose them?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,429,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
QUESTION for JDLJR!
First Thanks again for all you do! I can never say that enough!!!

Second, ok, so we have a senator from WV being named shortly and being sworn in Tues and a Vote on the bill First thing after that on Tuesday. We all expect that by the end of the week itll be passed and finalized!

MY QUESTION---- is how ready is NC?? I know some states like NJ I think went ahead and STILL MOVED PEOPLE to the next tier, since we knew it was going to pass! so some states ALLREADY are ready! How ready is NC??? I know that back in the fall, we had a MESS because the computers were not ready. I am HOPING that they have it all worked out and just ready to RUN the new software once the bill is passed???

ALSO, how is it going to work? I moved to Tier 3 (OR DIDNT MOVE) in the last week of June. Do they have a Program to run that will AUTOMATICALLY fix me???

AND since I have not been able to do my weekly certification--- WHAT THEN??? Once the system is fixed can i go back and RE CERTIFY Those past few weeks???? ORRRRRR do I need to have someone (like you) MANUALLY recertify them for me????

I know there are MANY MANY MANY people in the same boat as me, and Im HOPING that NC is on top of this??? Its been hard enough not getting paid for a few weeks (and I still realize itll be another week or 2 of NOT) but I hope that NC wont make us wait another 2-3 extra weeks while they figure out what to do.

Please advise and help!
Hello,

Unfortunately, I cannot answer any of your questions. Working in a local office far removed from Raleigh, we hear very little about things happening in Raleigh. If I hear anything along the way I'll be sure to post some information, but until then we're about as informed as you are.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amermaid1day View Post
I qualified for 13 weeks of UI in my 2nd benefit year. I had two quarters of "new" income but their total was less than 1.5 times the highest quarter, so no new extensions.
(12/7/08---12/5/09) My first benefit year I recieved 22 weeks UI, 17.6 weeks Tier I, and 11 weeks Tier II.
(12/6/09-12/4/10) Qualified for new claim at start of second benefit year. Recieved 13 weeks UI, one week of "extra" Tier II payment (NCESC said it wasn't paid before due to calculation errors-it was supposed to be 54% not 50%) and 11 weeks of Tier III. (The paperwork recieved from NCESC stated this was for Tier II but the numbers add up to Tier III and I already recieved Tier II in my first benefit year.) Last benefit paid was for benefit week ending 6/05/10 and with that payment I completed Tier III. Ever since then my claim online has said exhausted and was told over the phone I did not qualify for any EB but they couldn"t explain why.
Questions:
1-If and when this extension passes and if it is retroactive will I still recieve Tier IV benefits at 24% of my initial claim from year one?
2-Do I qualify for any EB, either now or after my Tier IV is done?
Thanks for any information. This website and especially this thread has been so informative and a lifeline for me.
1. Yes, so long as you are otherwise eligible, you should receive the Tier 4. Not sure how far back they'll make it retroactive but you should be eligible for that if they reinstate the EUC program.

2. No, you would not be eligible for EB because it is from your old benefit year and you received regular UI in your new benefit year.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaks View Post
I am in my second year of benefits and qualified for EB after congress failed to pass the extensions but haven't received any EU08 in this benefit year.

Do I automatically switch back to EU08 if congress approves the extensions or do I lose them?
Yes, you should revert back to EUC if Congress extends the program, then to EB once the EUC is exhausted or the EUC program phases out again.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
I'm wondering since I'm my 2nd year... havent worked since late 2008.. I only qualified for 13 weeks on my 2nd year, which i used. I'm on my pull forward from my 1st year.. IF the bill passes, would I qualify for anything more after I use my pull forward?
There are no NEW tiers of extensions in the bill. So once you receive your pull forward EUC your benefits would be exhausted.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Default EB Clarification

I want to clarify (correct, actually) information regarding EB that I had been giving on here that I found out today is not totally correct.

I was under the assumption that if you had ANY disqualifications whatsoever from ANY benefit years that you would not qualify for EB. That is not entirely correct. I'll try to explain what I found out today as simply as possible (but sometimes that's hard to put into words).

If someone in their first benefit year has a disqualification on their first benefit year, then moves to the 2nd benefit year and does not qualify for new regular UI, they would get their EUC pulled forward, but NOT their EB because the EB was based off the previous benefit year and there had been a disqualification in that benefit year.

If someone starts a 2nd benefit year and qualifies for NEW regular UI, but no new extensions, the EB cannot be pulled forward because that person received regular UI in two benefit years.

If someone starts a 2nd benefit year and qualifies for NEW regular UI, then qualifies for NEW extensions, they CAN have EB since the EB is based off the 2nd benefit year. Now, here is where I need to correct myself... if that same person has a disqualification in their 1st benefit year (and the dates of the disqualification are entirely in the 1st benefit year) they can STILL qualify for the EB in the 2nd benefit year because the EB is based off the NEW benefit year. The ability to receive EB is actually dependent on the benefit year the EB was (is) based on.

The tricky part is when the date of the disqualification overlaps into the 2nd benefit year...even if in that 2nd benefit year the person qualified for NEW extensions, they could not get the EB because the disqualification also would cover part of the new benefit year. Probably not a very common occurrence but it could happen.

I hope I haven't confused anyone even more, and I apologize for my misunderstanding of the EB program. I found out about this today because I was asking my Manager about another scenario someone on one of these threads had asked, and she identified the misconception I had. So I was glad I asked!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 PM

27 posts, read 30,784 times
What would be a disqualification? If someone qualified for regular UI, what would disqualify them for EB?

Thanks JDLJR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina