U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM

656 posts, read 997,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
I do meet the 1.5x rule for my 2nd year

BUT .. say.. if they pass the bill this week, and start paying next week, since I'm in the pull forward from my 1st year, will it automatically kick me back to my 2nd year? or finish out my pull forward?
My guess is Yes it would kick you into your 2nd year benefits, since you were only able to collect the remaining balance of your 1st year tier due to the fact that you couldn't move on without the new extension bill in affect.
However, jdljr or someone else here may have better insight to this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:04 PM

29 posts, read 50,959 times
Hello all - Sorry if I missed the answer to my question in previous posts - I did try to find... it has been determined at my local office that I'm eligible for a 'pull through' of my 1st benefit yr tier 2 benefits, which had been interrupted by 2nd bene yr reg UI benefits of 13 wks. I have 9 wks remaining of 1st yr tier 2 benefits. The pull through was supposed to have been done last Tuesday, July 13. When following up with my local office last Wednesday, I was told that for me and others in the same circumstance, it was not done due to "technical computer issues". Is this normal? Why? When can I expect it to be done, and can I do something to expedite this? As always, thanks for all the help!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:20 PM

7 posts, read 11,468 times
Thanks for all the info posted here. I have one question that is specific to my claim. I'm a little confused about my quarters. Here's my info:

Benefit Year Start: 8/16/2009
Benefit Year End: 8/14/2010

I'm on tier 1 of EB with no issues.

Tier 1 should end any time and I guess I'll move on to tier 2 if the bill passes the senate tomorrow. I'm more worried about my year ending and filing a new claim in Aug. I'm trying to figure out if I'll continue with tier 2, 3, etc. or get set up with a new claim. I need to know, based on my benefit start date, what quarter dates they'll use to determine my status and what benefits I'll receive. I worked right up until I filed my initial claim. If I know the dates they'll use for my quarters I can figure up the rest based on my old income before being laid off. So based on my info what quarters will they use?

Thank you.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:25 PM

I think I might have answered my own question. I found the letter that they sent me when I filed my initial claim. My base period was from 4/1/2008 through 3/31/2009. So I assume when I file a new year they'll base it on 4/1/2009 through 3/31/2010? Since I worked until mid-August of 2009, and my quarters were all around 11k each, I should base it on that total? I'd use the amount I made from 4/1/2009 - 8/16/2009?

Please feel free to correct me or add anything I might have missed.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:04 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,088,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
I do meet the 1.5x rule for my 2nd year

BUT .. say.. if they pass the bill this week, and start paying next week, since I'm in the pull forward from my 1st year, will it automatically kick me back to my 2nd year? or finish out my pull forward?
What are you drawing from your 1st year that you didn't qualify for in your 2nd? If you met the 1.5x rule in the 2nd benefit year, you should be drawing either EUC or EB based from the 2nd year.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobegone View Post
Hello all - Sorry if I missed the answer to my question in previous posts - I did try to find... it has been determined at my local office that I'm eligible for a 'pull through' of my 1st benefit yr tier 2 benefits, which had been interrupted by 2nd bene yr reg UI benefits of 13 wks. I have 9 wks remaining of 1st yr tier 2 benefits. The pull through was supposed to have been done last Tuesday, July 13. When following up with my local office last Wednesday, I was told that for me and others in the same circumstance, it was not done due to "technical computer issues". Is this normal? Why? When can I expect it to be done, and can I do something to expedite this? As always, thanks for all the help!
Technical issues happen. The pull forward occurs once each week, usually on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Hopefully your claim has been prepared for the pull forward, I would visit someone at your local office to ensure this. Make sure that if you're waiting for the pull forward that your claim shows a "monetarily ineligible" on the 0 record for EUC/EB. The system searches for this to determine which claims need pull forwards.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 PM

14 posts, read 23,715 times
I want to say thank you to jdljr. I have read many of your posts in an effort to try to understand the complexities of unemployment extensions, and the amount of personal time that you spend trying to help people like me is obvious. I hope you know how much you do for so many...whether or not they get on here and tell you. You are very much appreciated.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_moyer View Post
I think I might have answered my own question. I found the letter that they sent me when I filed my initial claim. My base period was from 4/1/2008 through 3/31/2009. So I assume when I file a new year they'll base it on 4/1/2009 through 3/31/2010? Since I worked until mid-August of 2009, and my quarters were all around 11k each, I should base it on that total? I'd use the amount I made from 4/1/2009 - 8/16/2009?

Please feel free to correct me or add anything I might have missed.
That's right. However, be aware that they have changed the rules effective with claims filed 5/16/10 and later. Regardless of whether you have enough wages in the base period to set a new, regular UI claim in the 2nd benefit year, that claim will not set unless you have returned to work DURING your previous benefit year (in your case 8/16/09-8/14/10) and earned at least 6x the average weekly wage in NC, or $4,550 spanning at least two quarters during that time. If you did not return to work during that time and earn the required $4,550, then when you attempt your 2nd benefit year, an issue will be set. When they resolve the issue, it will trigger the system to transfer any unused extension money from your first benefit year for you to draw. Essentially by not returning to work (part time work, even, to earn the required minimum amount), during your previous benefit year, you effectively disqualify yourself from being able to collect 13-26 additional weeks of regular UI benefits, and any NEW extensions in that 2nd benefit year for which you may have qualified, even if you have the minimum wages in the base period to set the claim.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renniegirl View Post
I want to say thank you to jdljr. I have read many of your posts in an effort to try to understand the complexities of unemployment extensions, and the amount of personal time that you spend trying to help people like me is obvious. I hope you know how much you do for so many...whether or not they get on here and tell you. You are very much appreciated.
Thank you, and everyone, for the kudos!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:27 PM

jdljr, thank you very much for the info. That is confusing indeed. I was actually called back to my old job a few times to work odd days (all earnings were reported). I need to see if I earned more than $4,550. It would be pretty close. I guess that would determine what happens. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or