Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 06:08 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renniegirl View Post
jdljr: I am so hoping you can answer my question. Sorry for long explanation.
3/16/09: furloughed and start unemployment claim year for 3/15/09-3/13/10. Laid off in September and continue collecting benefits.

Filed for week 3/13/10 and am approved but also receive notice that benefit year expired. Tried calling but couldn't get through; didn't find anything about having to start a new claim on NCESC website. I had read that if you get laid off a 2nd time after collecting within a benefit year you will collect the original amt, so I thought it was just information provided for that reason.

Tried filing for week ending 3/20/10 and get msg that there are no more weeks to file. NCESC was closed; I do online research and find this site. Read lots of posts (thank you so much for all your thorough info!) and realize that I need to start a new claim, which I do. I correctly calculated that I made enough $ to begin a new claim year and that I would miss a week, which I assumed would be 3/20/10.

Tried filing for week of 3/27/10 and get msg that while claim was accepted, I will not be paid to satisfy NC law about skipping one week. Since I already missed collecting for the week of 3/20/10, I call NCESC on 3/29/10.

Rep tells me that I will not be penalized for misunderstanding the process, backdates my new claim year to begin the day after my previous claim year ended, and took my claim for the week ending 3/27/10 over the phone. My claim is approved and I am paid.

My UI benefits were exhausted days before the extension legislation passed, so I had to have a rep reopen my claim in order to file for EUC, which was approved per a letter sent to me recently. On 7/28/10, I was finally able to file my claim for the week ending 7/24/10, and was approved but have not received payment as of this writing. But it seems that reopening the claim opened a can of worms as well.

Today, 7/30, I receive a letter from NCESC dated 7/28/10 that I was overpaid for the week of 3/20/10 in the entire amount, and that up to 50% will be taken from future checks until paid. I check my benefit history for 2010 and the first claim is for the week ending 3/20/10, not 3/27/10 as it should have been. It shows no pymt for 3/27/10. I called NCESC and was told that I was paid for 3/20/10 and was ineligible for 3/27/10. I tried explaining that it seemed to be a mistake made during the manual claim process. The rep got frustrated and put me into someone's vm who won't be back to mid next week. I am trying to plan bills on a very tight budget, so I was hoping I could find out here if the rep was right to backdate my claim year and manually take a claim for me for 3/27/10 (which she evidently mistakenly dated 3/20/10), or am I to lose another week's benefits due to my ignorance of how the system works? If she was correct to do so, I assume that it can be worked out.

Thank you so much for all your efforts here. We would be lost without you.

Well, it sounds like you were paid for 3/20, which you should not have been, because that would have been your waiting week for your new benefit year. But I don't know why you wouldn't have been paid for 3/27. Would have no idea why the rep would tell you you were ineligible for 3/27...did you answer a question wrong during your certification for that week? Sounds like she didn't research it deeply enough. If that's the case, it could still be fixed, possibly, but you'd still have the overpayment if you didn't serve a waiting week at the beginning of this claim (if you received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year). Plain and simple, if you didn't serve the waiting week, you owe the money back. It should take just two or so weeks to satisfy the overpayment, then your payments would go back up to the correct amount.

Now, if for some reason, the system instead coded the week ending 3/27 as the waiting week, and that's why you weren't paid for it, then there must be some other reason for the overpayment on 3/20. Except that to me, if there wasn't another reason, the overpayment would be an error. But unfortunately, without seeing your claim, I really can't see the specifics. Hopefully someone will get it straightened out for you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:31 PM

14 posts, read 27,070 times
Default Re: Help

Thanks, I think I understand what happened now. The rep I spoke with on 3/29 probably certified me for 3/20 because I had already certified online for 3/27 and received a message that that was my waiting week. Maybe she couldn't change the waiting week to 3/20 and thought she was doing the next best thing.

The rep that said I wasn't eligible was the one today. We only talked a few minutes; all she did was look at my benefit history. I think she just assumed that I didn't get a check for 3/27 because I answered questions wrong. I've got PDFs of every week I've certified for showing my answers were correct (except 3/20, when it didn't even ask me the questions b/c I hadn't started my new benefit year claim)

The big question is this: If a claimant mistakenly started the claim for a 2nd benefit year late, is it ok for a rep to backdate the benefit year so that the claimant only misses one week of benefits, instead of two? If so, I think they'll eventually agree to fix it. I only received one check for those two weeks, and I have the PDF showing 3/27 as my waiting week.

Thanks again for your all your help!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:23 PM

108 posts, read 160,596 times
jdljr...you should be runnung the entire UI program. you are truly the man. thank you.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:37 PM

776 posts, read 1,683,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Re: your friend. Instead of panic, I would just let those back weeks lie, and go forward from the first week he can certify. Don't have to provide worksearch records for any weeks you weren't paid. And his benefits will extend that much further into the future (whereas anyone that gets paid back weeks will exhaust their benefits that much sooner). He wouldn't get completely cut off; he just wouldn't be able to get paid for those back weeks without the worksearch records. If it were me, I wouldn't sweat it. I'd just have my claim reopened for the current week and go forward from there. They won't ask for worksearch records just to do that.
I'll let him know. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

So should he just call the main customer service line and tell them he needs his claim opened for the current week? Or should he just call that "benefit extension hotline" (as he will be instructed to do per the letter) and have them open it for the current week with no back weeks? I think his fear was that, in order to simply reactivate his claim, he would need to provide his job search records for those weeks (that might have been my fault...I think I told him that). I think I heard that somewhere here and might've interpreted it wrong. I just don't know what the people at the benefit extension hotline is asking for in order to simply reopen claims, I guess.

But I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that. He's not very message board literate...so now he hears me talk about this forum and you and he's like, "Oh, tell him blah, blah, blah..." "Ohohoh! Ask him about blah, blah, blah!"

Thanks again for everything jdljr! You're a life saver to many!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
i'm guessing, KC, that your letter didnt "say" you were in Tier 1 EUC of your 2nd benefit year, but that you deduced it, since youre obviously pretty bright.
you and i mustve been laid off within days of each other, as your situation has mirrored mine since i started reading these posts.

my EB for Year 2 started 6/6, for 10.4 weeks, and this week it was replaced retroactively with EUC, also for 10.4 weeks (80% of my year 2 eligibility of 13 weeks).
the letter i got today says Tier 1 nowhere on it. thats supersecret info, apparently.
but i did the math, and the maximum benefit amount on this letter is 80% of the amount on my benefit year 2 letter regarding UI.
Tier 2, if its 13 weeks max for a 26 week UI, must be 50%. so, for me, that would be 6.5 weeks more. (tho there still may be that +1 week at the tail end that they added)
same for Tier 3, i think.
Tier 4, maybe...2+ weeks, although i think at this point we've reached Nov. 27.
then i would suppose its back to EB for 10.4 weeks and that will finally be that.
and since EB is state benefits, that could continue past the current Nov. 27 federal date of exhaustion.

just throwing that out as one example of one person's benefits, mine.
i will be positively batty if i cant get back to work soon, tho.
hope its going well for all of you.

incidentally, the federal subsidy of 65% for COBRA expenses has ended or is about to. that will effectively end my health insurance as paying the full COBRA is just not possible, especially if you have any children on your plan.
insurance doesnt get mentioned much here. i dont know how many of you have insurance or if thats long gone, but any of the "these people should just take whatever job they can get" crowd needs to understand that being without insurance isnt exactly fun and desirable so yeah, we arent just sitting around.
Hi!
I'd say our benefits do mirrior each others
I started my 2nd benefit year on Feb 20th, and it ended at the end of May, I recieved a letter that I qualified for EB the next week.
I didn't believe it and went to the local office and had them physically show me PROOF that I get the money... I sure didn't want an overpayment(ugh)
Anyway, since my UI ended after 14 weeks, I know now that I start at tier 1 EUC.
I figure I get 11 weeks and then that strange leftover amount of $37.00.
And then I'm guessing 6-7 weeks of tier 2 and then it will be Nov. 27th.
I used all but 3 weeks up of my EB, so I may get the rest of that at the Nov 27th cut-off (?)
My guess is, sadly enough there will not be anymore extending the date after Nov 27th.
I have classes 2 times a week now and they'll be finished by then.
HOPEFULLY that will give me the experience I seem to be lackinng on the pencil pushing end of my past job of 20 years.
I'm sorry about your ins situation., I'm currently not covered either.
My husband is on disability and has medicare and thankgoodness my children are grown.
I have to hope and pray I conitnue to stay healthy for another 6 months anyway, since it usually takes 90 days to start med insurance at most jobs.
That is to say IF they offer med insurance at all

Goodluck to you, I hope something GREAT comes your way soon

Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 PM

330 posts, read 460,699 times
^i'd have to say youre correct except that your EB ISNT all used up but 3 weeks, right? Tier 1 EUC effectively goes back and replaces your EB and you get your full EB when theres no EUC, at the end.
my understanding is you NOW have 3 weeks of Tier 1 left, then Tier 2, 3, and right about then its going to be Nov 27.
then, full EB.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,212 times
Hello everyone, I was hoping someone could answer a quick question for me.
Background info:
The last payment I received was on July 5th. During Tier 2, I went into a second benefit year and was not monetarily eligible for a new UI claim, so they put me back on the EUC08 and I continued on until Tier 2 ran out on July 5, 2010.

NOW, when I received "the letter" yesterday, this statement made me feel like I do not have to take any action at this point, "If you have claimed benefits within the last 4 weeks, an EUC08 claim will be filed for you".
I have been filing my weekly certifications each week since I stopped getting payments. However, my status still says BENEFITS EXHAUSTED as of this morning. I wouldn’t have been alarmed by that until reading through several pages of post that indicate others have active claim status right now. Do I need to call or should I give it a few more days? The filing system online tells me I’m up to date on my weekly certification as well……

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renniegirl View Post
Thanks, I think I understand what happened now. The rep I spoke with on 3/29 probably certified me for 3/20 because I had already certified online for 3/27 and received a message that that was my waiting week. Maybe she couldn't change the waiting week to 3/20 and thought she was doing the next best thing.

The rep that said I wasn't eligible was the one today. We only talked a few minutes; all she did was look at my benefit history. I think she just assumed that I didn't get a check for 3/27 because I answered questions wrong. I've got PDFs of every week I've certified for showing my answers were correct (except 3/20, when it didn't even ask me the questions b/c I hadn't started my new benefit year claim)

The big question is this: If a claimant mistakenly started the claim for a 2nd benefit year late, is it ok for a rep to backdate the benefit year so that the claimant only misses one week of benefits, instead of two? If so, I think they'll eventually agree to fix it. I only received one check for those two weeks, and I have the PDF showing 3/27 as my waiting week.

Thanks again for your all your help!
Yea, reps can usually back-up the claim a week, but not much more than that. Hopefully you can get it resolved soon.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
I'll let him know. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

So should he just call the main customer service line and tell them he needs his claim opened for the current week? Or should he just call that "benefit extension hotline" (as he will be instructed to do per the letter) and have them open it for the current week with no back weeks? I think his fear was that, in order to simply reactivate his claim, he would need to provide his job search records for those weeks (that might have been my fault...I think I told him that). I think I heard that somewhere here and might've interpreted it wrong. I just don't know what the people at the benefit extension hotline is asking for in order to simply reopen claims, I guess.

But I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that. He's not very message board literate...so now he hears me talk about this forum and you and he's like, "Oh, tell him blah, blah, blah..." "Ohohoh! Ask him about blah, blah, blah!"

Thanks again for everything jdljr! You're a life saver to many!
Probably the benefit extension hotline, since he's in extensions. And just tell them that he needs to re-open his claim, and if they ask about keying back weeks, just tell them that he didn't search for work those weeks, so he just wants to start claiming from this week forward, but that he's once again searching for work.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCinNC View Post
Hello everyone, I was hoping someone could answer a quick question for me.
Background info:
The last payment I received was on July 5th. During Tier 2, I went into a second benefit year and was not monetarily eligible for a new UI claim, so they put me back on the EUC08 and I continued on until Tier 2 ran out on July 5, 2010.

NOW, when I received "the letter" yesterday, this statement made me feel like I do not have to take any action at this point, "If you have claimed benefits within the last 4 weeks, an EUC08 claim will be filed for you".
I have been filing my weekly certifications each week since I stopped getting payments. However, my status still says BENEFITS EXHAUSTED as of this morning. I wouldn’t have been alarmed by that until reading through several pages of post that indicate others have active claim status right now. Do I need to call or should I give it a few more days? The filing system online tells me I’m up to date on my weekly certification as well……
I would call, your claim may need an "A1" transaction to build the new Tier if it didn't get picked up in the A1 run that was done the night of the 27th. Hopefully whoever you speak with will know what to do and be WILLING to do something. ARGH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina