U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 19,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Cool, good to have some temp employment. It does put you in contact with others and who will they call next time? You! :-)

No, I have not gotten any notice of another review. I had two - one at beginning of July and other at beginning of August. Still keeping track of jobs applied for, etc.

I understand what jdljr is saying re personal contact - and that there is a difference between personal contact and applying for a job. So I am guessing that if I just walked into two offices randomly in a week and said "I'm looking for a job." and tried to give them my resume, that's an in person contact?? Seems like a waste of gasoline and time - I got more time than budget for gasoline!

I'm also wondering how I can get an in person contact when many of my potential employers are in secured buildings. You cannot get past the first floor "concierges" / security - no possibility of even walking up to a receptionist' desk and making contact.

Another thing is ... right now ... there are so many people looking for jobs that I have not been able to get any "informational interviews" as recommended by job search coaches, because those folks are just not able to take the chance of being inundated by job seekers. I've also found and have been reading that HR Depts. have been tightening up on how their firms recruit candidates.

Anyway, I'd rather spend my time applying for jobs and touching base with recruiters (many of whom are out of town or who DO NOT see candidates unless they have a specific position they are submitting you for) as opposed to using up gasoline for .... what?

You are exactly right, why waste gas going places when you can call and ask if they are hiring or go just to be told to apply online anyway. It just seems unrealistic, it is 2010! It seems like a complete waste of time and gas.

The lady at the unemployment office looked at one of my contacts and said I should have went to WakeMed, instead of just applying online....which is completely ridiculous. It's not like HR departments are open to the public.

Sometimes, I think bureaucracies type places come up with crazy rules that make no sense just to hope we will give up and say the hell with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 4,497 times
Default Personal Contacts requirement

This "personal contacts" requirement is a serious problem for some of us. I have been a Mall Manager for near 40 years. That is what I am qualified to do. Therefore, I am primarily seeking employment in that related area. I am not qualified for most other jobs, and at my age, and with limited physical abilities, it is highly unlikely I would be considered for any of them anyway. I live in Kentucky. There are no positions I am even ostensibly qualified for anywhere near the area I live. Therefore, I must apply on-line, or by mail, or telephone; as it is not practical, and certainly not affordable, for me to travel to areas throughout the country seeking employment for which I am truly qualified. I am sending applications, letters, resumes, calling, writing appropriate companies, "headhunters" etc. every day. But none are in person. Even if times were normal and I would just be just wishing to change jobs, this is how I would go about it. This is how it is done in this industry. Therefore, it is not fair or reasonabe to require or expect that some of us can reasonably complete the "personal contacts" requirement unless it is accomplished with what would be an insincere effort to just drop in at any potential local employer regardles of your own qualifications for the position. This just doesn't seem to be right.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM

656 posts, read 1,019,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobella2010 View Post
You are exactly right, why waste gas going places when you can call and ask if they are hiring or go just to be told to apply online anyway. It just seems unrealistic, it is 2010! It seems like a complete waste of time and gas.

The lady at the unemployment office looked at one of my contacts and said I should have went to WakeMed, instead of just applying online....which is completely ridiculous. It's not like HR departments are open to the public.

Sometimes, I think bureaucracies type places come up with crazy rules that make no sense just to hope we will give up and say the hell with it.
Hi,
well what I've done and also talked to my local rep about this...
I have went into the hoispital(s) asked for an application and she tells me you can go to the website online and fill it out.
Ok, so I write her name and title (customer services usually) down and the preceed to apply online.
I Have app's at every hospital within 60 miles in every direction of my house. During my first year I ran around in person to every single job, MOST all of them wanted an online app and I was always told that by front desk employees
I've been on benefits now over a year and time to time I'll go in person ., when I ask about applying they give me their website ,so therefore when I file online I write the job code ect... down.
So much easier and quicker to do this by phone and NOT waste the gas!!!
They will not talk to you at all about it until AFTER THEY review your app period!
Also most of the job search's online ,Monster.com ect..... you have to apply online and they repsond back to you.
So I suppose just go into some places here and there if you cannnot get past the front desk, write that down and the person who told you that.

My rep acknowledged gas prices and knowing that 98% of job app's are all handled onilne nowadays.
Seems like almost all offices are different.
I'm in Rowan county, but they've been sending me to Mooresville (Iredell) for my elg. reviews, since it's closer.
They're very laid back in this offfice.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,142,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tena1028 View Post
Is that the same even if I am in my 2nd Transitional year? Thanks for your help JDLJR. You are a God sent!! :-)
Yes, that would be the same in the 2nd year.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:49 PM

131 posts, read 209,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
lol! You mean to tell me he hasn't followed through for you?????

What? You surprised? HA! His sole mission on this thread is to bully, criticize, and undermine us in his plight to further antagonize the unemployed. It makes him feel powerful. Classic cyber bully, full of contempt and empty, useless rants & proclamations. Whereas I don't advocate playing his game, sometimes exchanging jabs with him allows my "Red Queen" persona out for a little exercise & stress relief, however, I do practice a great deal of restraint, so as not to deflect from the helpful information contained on all these pages! Hope you are well, KC!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 PM

656 posts, read 1,019,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
What? You surprised? HA! His sole mission on this thread is to bully, criticize, and undermine us in his plight to further antagonize the unemployed. It makes him feel powerful. Classic cyber bully, full of contempt and empty, useless rants & proclamations. Whereas I don't advocate playing his game, sometimes exchanging jabs with him allows my "Red Queen" persona out for a little exercise & stress relief, however, I do practice a great deal of restraint, so as not to deflect from the helpful information contained on all these pages! Hope you are well, KC!
I totally agree!
I wrote to him and aired my anger then deleted it a few pages back.
It raises my already high blood pressure to argue with ignorance!
He's not worth my time and energy.
However I've enjoyed reading your Red Queen persona posts(ha!)

I'm fine, attending classes 2 days a week to try to prepare me to qualify for a pencil pushing job in my field.... we shall see come December .
My classes will be over and other than a possible few weeks of EB (IF) our state is still on, I'll be finished.
I Hope your doing well also Deerest

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 AM

8 posts, read 12,740 times
Hello all,

I started my second year of Benefits in May and qualified this year for 13 weeks regular UI. Last year I only used 26 weeks UI and my first tier of EUC. My question is my 13 weeks were up this past Saturday and my benefits say exhausted. I don;t think I am eligible for extensions under this year but should be eligible for a pull forward from last year. Does this happen automatically or do I need to contact the ESC?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,970 times
Ok the Senate signed the bill. I called UI and my profile was reset. They told me to file for the weeks that the Senate was out. I did that. That was 3 weeks ago. I have continued to file weekly but have only received one payment-then I got a message that I had only 2 payments left. I came off tier 2 while the Senate was out. Why is it taking so long to be paid for the weeks that were missed and to bring my status up to tier 3? One payment out of 6 weeks is hard to get by on. Oh my benefit year doesn't end until 12/2010.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1831 View Post
Hello all,

I started my second year of Benefits in May and qualified this year for 13 weeks regular UI. Last year I only used 26 weeks UI and my first tier of EUC. My question is my 13 weeks were up this past Saturday and my benefits say exhausted. I don;t think I am eligible for extensions under this year but should be eligible for a pull forward from last year. Does this happen automatically or do I need to contact the ESC?
You may need to contact ESC to make sure your claim has been "prepared" for a pull forward, which the programming runs once per week. Your current claim needs to show "monetarily ineligible" for Tier 1 EUC in order for the programming to recognize that your claim needs a pull forward.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redphyllis View Post
Ok the Senate signed the bill. I called UI and my profile was reset. They told me to file for the weeks that the Senate was out. I did that. That was 3 weeks ago. I have continued to file weekly but have only received one payment-then I got a message that I had only 2 payments left. I came off tier 2 while the Senate was out. Why is it taking so long to be paid for the weeks that were missed and to bring my status up to tier 3? One payment out of 6 weeks is hard to get by on. Oh my benefit year doesn't end until 12/2010.
You may need to contact someone again to make sure whoever you spoke to the first time followed through with what they said they were going to do. Sad, but true. It almost sounds like they haven't and you have outstanding back weeks that have not been paid. Sounds like the payment you got may have been from the most recent week that you were able to do your own certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or