U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-17-2010, 11:38 PM
 
367 posts, read 562,726 times
Reputation: 309

Advertisements

Hi,

Today I received a letter stating I am eligible for Fourth Tier EUC benefits as follows:

Maximum Benefits Amount: $1697.00

Earnings Allowance: $ 380.84

Weekly Benefits Amount: $ 505.00

Benefits Year Start: 10/25/2009
Benefits Year End: 10/23/2010

---------------------------

That comes out to 3.36 weeks. I thought Tier 4 was more than that? I was laid off in 12/6/2008 but wasn't eligible for UEC until 2/8/2009 since I received a severance package.

Can anyone tell me what happens after I exhaust Tier 4 UEC in 4 weeks? Is there an extension after this tier?

Thanks for your help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2010, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,150,798 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
Hi,

Today I received a letter stating I am eligible for Fourth Tier EUC benefits as follows:

Maximum Benefits Amount: $1697.00

Earnings Allowance: $ 380.84

Weekly Benefits Amount: $ 505.00

Benefits Year Start: 10/25/2009
Benefits Year End: 10/23/2010

---------------------------

That comes out to 3.36 weeks. I thought Tier 4 was more than that? I was laid off in 12/6/2008 but wasn't eligible for UEC until 2/8/2009 since I received a severance package.

Can anyone tell me what happens after I exhaust Tier 4 UEC in 4 weeks? Is there an extension after this tier?

Thanks for your help!!!!
Tier 4 is UP TO 6 weeks and depends, like all the other extensions, on how long your original claim duration was. If, for example, you received 26 weeks of regular UI, then you should qualify for the 6 weeks of Tier 4. If you received only 13 weeks of regular UI, then you would qualify for only 3 weeks of Tier 4. You use whatever benefit year that you qualified for the extensions to be able to determine the length of those extensions. So for example, let's say you qualified for regular UI for 26 weeks in Benefit Year 1 and were in the middle of an extension when that benefit year ended. Then you began a new benefit year and qualified for regular UI again in Benefit Year 2, but only for 16 weeks, but didn't qualify for new extensions in your 2nd benefit year. They would then pull forward your unused extension money from your first benefit year, and the number of weeks of extensions that you qualified for would still be based on the previous benefit year, not the 2nd benefit year.

After Tier 4 you MAY be eligible for EB (Extended Benefits). However, EB cannot be pulled forward into a 2nd benefit year if you received regular UI in that 2nd benefit year. Also, if you have a separation disqualification in whatever year your extensions are being based off of, you are disqualified for the EB benefits. But if you've monetarily qualified for extensions in whatever benefit year you're currently in, then you should be able to collect EB from that benefit year, as long as you don't have the separation disqualification in that year. If you do not qualify for EB, then you will have exhausted your benefits after Tier 4. When your current benefit year ends, if you have enough wages in the base period and earnings during your current benefit year, you may qualify for a new, regular UI claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
 
5 posts, read 21,950 times
Reputation: 10
Default Confused again

Ok; Here's my situation. I have tried to figure this out on my own and even sent an email to Raleigh. I filed for unemployment originally 5/31/2009, and received regular benefits for 26 weeks. Then went in to Tier 1 of the EUC08,exhausted that and was into the 5 week of Tier 2 when my year ended.I reaplied for benefits on 6/5/2010 and was told then I would get the unused weeks pulled forward from the current tier I was on. So in my figuring this tier would have ended around 7/31/2010. I haven't received anything showing I would go into the next Tier and my claim profile shows EB-regular active claim. Did I get shammed out of the teirs I was on and entitled too or has something been messed up with my claim. I have tried to call Raleigh but "all circuits stay busy". Can someone help or do I need to go back to my local office and get help?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,150,798 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnc View Post
Ok; Here's my situation. I have tried to figure this out on my own and even sent an email to Raleigh. I filed for unemployment originally 5/31/2009, and received regular benefits for 26 weeks. Then went in to Tier 1 of the EUC08,exhausted that and was into the 5 week of Tier 2 when my year ended.I reaplied for benefits on 6/5/2010 and was told then I would get the unused weeks pulled forward from the current tier I was on. So in my figuring this tier would have ended around 7/31/2010. I haven't received anything showing I would go into the next Tier and my claim profile shows EB-regular active claim. Did I get shammed out of the teirs I was on and entitled too or has something been messed up with my claim. I have tried to call Raleigh but "all circuits stay busy". Can someone help or do I need to go back to my local office and get help?
Thanks
You would probably want to go to your local office and sit with someone who can show you exactly what the status of your claim is. It should be very simple for a consultant to let you know what tiers you've exhausted, what fund you're now drawing from, etc. Without looking at your claim, I can't surmise anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 PM
 
8 posts, read 12,783 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1831 View Post
Hello all,

I started my second year of Benefits in May and qualified this year for 13 weeks regular UI. Last year I only used 26 weeks UI and my first tier of EUC. My question is, my 13 weeks on UI were up this past Saturday and my claims status say "exhausted:. I am not eligible for extensions under this new benefit year but should be eligible for a pull forward from last year so I understand from my research here. Does this happen automatically or do I need to contact the ESC?

Wow - four customer service reps over three days to prepare my file for a pull forward and my status now reads "unknown". Any idea what that means?? I was told to call my local branch back on Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 AM
 
21 posts, read 32,847 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1831 View Post
Wow - four customer service reps over three days to prepare my file for a pull forward and my status now reads "unknown". Any idea what that means?? I was told to call my local branch back on Tuesday.
I'm sorry but I chuckled when i read that, I feel for you really, but the way you wrote it, it gave me a chuckle, we have to at least keep our sense of humor or at the very least sarcasimn, right? good luck on it,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 AM
 
21 posts, read 32,847 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
You would probably want to go to your local office and sit with someone who can show you exactly what the status of your claim is. It should be very simple for a consultant to let you know what tiers you've exhausted, what fund you're now drawing from, etc. Without looking at your claim, I can't surmise anything.
and nine shows the same thing, but when i called, they simply told me over the phone my balance, and broke it down, it didnt make sense to me either, because according to them, I had a few more weeks of tier 3, 1 week of tier 2? and all of my eb, but they acted like I got skipped over tier 4? It didnt make sense, but I didnt say anything, and I called three different times, got the same balance but different tier break downs, go figure, but at least the balance is the same so I'm just going with the flow and see what happened for now, I'm trying nto to bug them, but mine says the exact same thing,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,150,798 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormyB View Post
and nine shows the same thing, but when i called, they simply told me over the phone my balance, and broke it down, it didnt make sense to me either, because according to them, I had a few more weeks of tier 3, 1 week of tier 2? and all of my eb, but they acted like I got skipped over tier 4? It didnt make sense, but I didnt say anything, and I called three different times, got the same balance but different tier break downs, go figure, but at least the balance is the same so I'm just going with the flow and see what happened for now, I'm trying nto to bug them, but mine says the exact same thing,
Well my guess with what's going on with yours is that before the new legislation was signed a few weeks ago you had begun receiving EB because you couldn't get to the next EUC tier (Tier 3). Then when the legislation was signed it changed all of your EB weeks received back to EUC Tier 3 and you now have just a few payments of EUC Tier 3 left. A rep would be able to see the remaining Tier 3, the one more payment of Tier 2 (which pays after Tier 3) and the EB because EB had already been built onto your claim for you to draw while awaiting the legislation to be signed. But you still should be eligible for Tier 4, it's just not showing up yet. No subsequent tier shows up until you've exhausted the previous tier, so that's why they didn't mention it. But it's fair to say that because you qualified for Tier 1 EUC, you should be eligible for Tier 2, 3, and 4 so I wouldn't sweat them not saying anything about Tier 4. They were literally just telling you what they see on the screen, but just know that you should get your Tier 4 too, provided you remain otherwise eligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,102 times
Reputation: 10
Question: as of Sunday Aug. 21st, my husband's year has ended for his unemployment, and he should qualify for tier 3 (EB). What do we do? Does he reapply? Do we call the 1-800 number or file online again? How long will it take to receive a letter? We have no idea. I love that the hours to call are 8-5, my husband is in the local police academy from 7am to 5pm. Can I call if I have all of his information? We are confused about it and are losing sleep over this! Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,150,798 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by sej617 View Post
Question: as of Sunday Aug. 21st, my husband's year has ended for his unemployment, and he should qualify for tier 3 (EB). What do we do? Does he reapply? Do we call the 1-800 number or file online again? How long will it take to receive a letter? We have no idea. I love that the hours to call are 8-5, my husband is in the local police academy from 7am to 5pm. Can I call if I have all of his information? We are confused about it and are losing sleep over this! Can anyone help?
He needs to open a new benefit year if he wishes to continue collecting UI benefits. He can do any number of things, from visiting his local office, calling the New Initial File Line (24 hour automated system), or filing a new year online (24 hour availability). I don't have the new initial file line number right offhand but it can be found on our website.

Technically he needs to do this, as no one but the claimant is supposed to do anything on their claim. In my office, we won't talk to anyone but the claimant.

Once a new benefit year is filed, it may take a week or two to get payment depending on whether he qualifies for new, regular UI (whereby he'd have to serve a new waiting week), whether or not his direct deposit carries over to the new claim (if he has direct deposit...sometimes it carries forward, sometimes not), etc. Also, if he has had no intervening employment (has not returned to work since his last job), no issues should be raised when the new claim is filed. Be aware, though, that if his last employer was a quit or a termination the associated separation issue has already been adjudicated, so it wouldn't have to be adjudicated again, so he would want to file his new benefit year as Lack of Work, and NOT as a quit or termination again. If he files as a quit or termination again, it may cause a delay.

If he did not return to work during his previous benefit year and earn at least $4,557 spanning two quarters of his previous benefit year, he will not qualify for new, regular UI even if he has ample wages in the base period to set a new claim. In this instance, a dummy benefit year would be set up for him and his remaining unused extension money would be transferred to the dummy benefit year for him to draw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top