U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 PM

656 posts, read 1,020,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
retroactive?
um.
thats....remarkable.
why not just make it retroactive to 2007 and save more money? why not make it 8x? 10x?
obviously, i know YOU, jdljr, have nothing to do with it. i'm just ranting into cyberspace.

i DID work, altho there was a whole confusion, since i was physically IN NC, but worked for a SC office that took its sweet time getting the withholdings changed from SC to NC.
if it came to pulling forward from benefit Year One, it would probably be a wash, anyway, esp with the current Nov 27 federal cutoff of funds.

retroactive. cute.
"Yeah, hello? is this my former employer? Hi. Yeah, its me. Say, i was just calling to tell you i'm retroactively upping that salary you paid me in 2008. Thanks a bunch."
I've been ranting and raving for 3 days now!
To put it bluntly the goverment is screwing us and I don't use that lightly!
I wanted a pullforward but barely qualified for the extensions, and almost everything to the tee matches your situation! My 2nd (supposed) benefit year which was started by a Raleigh rep, was established Feb 20th
So now we'll get the OP LETTER any week now which says .....
"Hey we overpaid you and you better hope you have monies left over in your first year, so we can even things out and oh by the way if you do then your probably done with weekly payments. Oh and you can file a waiver to not have to pay us back if you don't have any back monies from your first year that we collect on"....

I've been sick for 3 days now, I'm trying not to be, but changing the date with no notice and WHO messed this up?
I'm so curious about all of that!
I also called Raleigh they played dumb or simply haven't
been informed(???), When I called and asked about where I was in my benefit year,after being told I have 15 weeks left, I nicely and simply asked about this (NEW) 6x's rule being retro'd back to Jan 1 2010 .... of course they said they know nothing about any such thing, lol!
Thank goodness jdljr is informed and shared this with us, I'm sure in the next few weeks many that have left this thread the past month will be back here to wonder.... WHAT???????

Last edited by KC~Carolina; 09-16-2010 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 PM

330 posts, read 412,894 times
jdljr will probably be too exhausted to post here. while its a logistical nightmare, its also a PR ****storm.
i think, THINK, i'll be the same either way. i was in week 14 of what i believe was Tier 1 last year, when my benefit yr ended. if i go back to 3/08/10 and start from week 15 of Tier 1, and get to take the full Tier lengths, itll end at week 5 of Tier 4 the last week of Nov when it ends now anyway.
BUT, how long is it going to take the esc computers to make this all right, to figure out all the new dates?
and what if your date was in January? you might be in about week....90 of your total benefits, EUC and EB. with 9 weeks to go. when you THOUGHT you had it made for 3 more months, or whatever.

changing the rules in the middle is dirty pool.

theres going to be some temporary holiday hiring, but most companies dont take on new full timers at the holidays, at year's end. things have really not improved that greatly. they just announced 1 in 7 live in poverty. 1 in 7! 4 million added just this year, mostly middle Americans that had good jobs that are now exhausting all their benefits, savings, 401s.
the Small Business Jobs Act has passed, which is good, altho some owners were saying they were holding off on some hiring up until now, to see if it would. now we have owners saying if the Bush tax cuts arent extended, they may not be able to hire.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
jdljr will probably be too exhausted to post here. while its a logistical nightmare, its also a PR ****storm.
i think, THINK, i'll be the same either way. i was in week 14 of what i believe was Tier 1 last year, when my benefit yr ended. if i go back to 3/08/10 and start from week 15 of Tier 1, and get to take the full Tier lengths, itll end at week 5 of Tier 4 the last week of Nov when it ends now anyway.
BUT, how long is it going to take the esc computers to make this all right, to figure out all the new dates?
and what if your date was in January? you might be in about week....90 of your total benefits, EUC and EB. with 9 weeks to go. when you THOUGHT you had it made for 3 more months, or whatever.

changing the rules in the middle is dirty pool.

theres going to be some temporary holiday hiring, but most companies dont take on new full timers at the holidays, at year's end. things have really not improved that greatly. they just announced 1 in 7 live in poverty. 1 in 7! 4 million added just this year, mostly middle Americans that had good jobs that are now exhausting all their benefits, savings, 401s.
the Small Business Jobs Act has passed, which is good, altho some owners were saying they were holding off on some hiring up until now, to see if it would. now we have owners saying if the Bush tax cuts arent extended, they may not be able to hire.
Well I hope he knows, I'm not mad at him, our messenger for delivering this message to us. I appreciate all he does more than I could ever write!

I'm just angry, confused and hurt in general.
If my benefits (leftover) from last year are used to payoff what I've recieved this year, I'll have $600.00 left after this weeks filing.
That will be 3 weeks for me, since I'm not making that much this 2nd year. However, I did think I had enough to last til the end of November also the time when my classes end (Nov 16th)
I've gone too far with them to stop now and at my age it's been a challenge.
I actually have thought about filing bankruptcy, but that also is more $ than I'd be able to stir up.

So all in all it looks like I'll be done with everything by the 3rd week of Oct if this thing gets kicked in next week.
(unless they will pull forwar my EB from year one)
Jdljr said the "program" was supposed to have been ran last week ,then this week, so it looks like 3rd time will be their charm I suppose(ugh)

I can only imagine what this will do to so many that have exhaused benefits or close to it in the first year and are in the middle of their 2nd year.
They will have nothing from year one to pay back what they recieved and then to, they'll also be out all together for this year.
If they let us file a waiver for this year, then collect on last years amount, that will take time to kick in and it will be Nov. something before...
or if and when that would happen., which is a scary scenario.

More and more I'm thinking this was the plan all along!
Dirty pool is a kind word for this whole darn mess!
I'm glad I do know about the impending letter in advance, although it's taken a toll on my bloodpressure.
I would probably have had major health issues had this just blindsided me in the mail next week!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM

its going to be another great holiday season.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:07 AM

18 posts, read 32,382 times
The big question mark seems to be the disposition of our first year's EB. If they pull that forward along with the remainder of last year's EUC, I will pretty easily have enough to payoff what I got this year and still have enough left to draw from until the program ends in late November. If they don't pull forward last year's EB, and instead only pull forward the remainder of EUC, I think I will have enough to payoff (or mostly payoff) what I got this year but then I would have nothing left to draw from.

What concerns me is having read elsewhere that if you receive Regular UI in a subsequent benefit year, you cannot bring forward EB from the first year. Is this correct? If so, the question then becomes, what about subsequent Regular UI that was established in error? I don't like the idea of being unable to access my first year's completely untouched EB on the basis that I mistakenly received a second round of Regular UI, so I hope that is not how this is going to work. It seems that if our second year Regular UI is being retroactively declared invalid, then the barrier to our first year's EB should also become retroactively invalid.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareWave View Post
The big question mark seems to be the disposition of our first year's EB. If they pull that forward along with the remainder of last year's EUC, I will pretty easily have enough to payoff what I got this year and still have enough left to draw from until the program ends in late November. If they don't pull forward last year's EB, and instead only pull forward the remainder of EUC, I think I will have enough to payoff (or mostly payoff) what I got this year but then I would have nothing left to draw from.

What concerns me is having read elsewhere that if you receive Regular UI in a subsequent benefit year, you cannot bring forward EB from the first year. Is this correct? If so, the question then becomes, what about subsequent Regular UI that was established in error? I don't like the idea of being unable to access my first year's completely untouched EB on the basis that I mistakenly received a second round of Regular UI, so I hope that is not how this is going to work. It seems that if our second year Regular UI is being retroactively declared invalid, then the barrier to our first year's EB should also become retroactively invalid.
We're pretty much in the exact same boat and I agree with 100% of everything you just wrote!
We didn't ask for the government to set all of us up in a new year, so we should be eligible to have our first year EB, pulled forward!!!
I think I may cruise the other threads, just to see if anyone else is speaking of this.
I actually don't want to mention it (new programmaing) anywhere else., it's just too sickening to talk about all over this whole city-data forum.
I can only imagine how everyone will respond to the lovely news

Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 AM

if the 2nd year never happened, then the EB should be there. anything else will result in, well, you know.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,145,031 times
Quote:

It would be my guess that if the 2nd benefit year is reversed, then whatever should have happened before that would then happen, including a pullforward of any unused EUC or EB. Reminder, though, EB still can't be collected if there is a disqualification in the year that the EB is based off of.

As as you've eluded to, EB couldn't be pulled forward into a 2nd benefit year if someone had received regular UI in that 2nd benefit year. So I have sometimes told folks that NOT meeting the 6x rule was not necessarily a BAD thing, because if they had the new benefit year set up for them and collected regular UI they couldn't get their unused EB for which they may have qualified on the previous benefit year...whereas if they did not meet the 6x and qualify for the new, regular UI in the 2nd benefit year, they could still have their EB pulled forward. And sometimes it was more beneficial to folks not to meet the 6x rule, because their new weekly benefit amount in the 2nd benefit year was less than their previous benefit year. So getting the unused extensions, including EB, from the previous benefit year at the higher weekly benefit amount was better for them.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM

18 posts, read 32,382 times
What would be an example of a disqualification for EB in the year it's based off? I am pretty certain I have no such disqualifications. When I began my first benefit year, I had been working for the same company for 6 years so I had plenty of wages in my base period, and qualified for the maximum 26 weeks. My employer did not contest my claim or anything like that (it was a legitimate lack of work layoff).

Old 09-17-2010, 07:26 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,145,031 times
Quote:
What would be an example of a disqualification for EB in the year it's based off? I am pretty certain I have no such disqualifications. When I began my first benefit year, I had been working for the same company for 6 years so I had plenty of wages in my base period, and qualified for the maximum 26 weeks. My employer did not contest my claim or anything like that (it was a legitimate lack of work layoff).
If your claim is a legitimate lack of work, then you shouldn't have any disqualifications. Mainly that would come from someone that had quit or been fired, and then the claim had to go to adjudication and adjudication rules that there was some fault on both sides, so disqualifies the claim for a certain number of weeks at the beginning, but then allows the claim to go forward after the claimant serves the disqualification. If such disqualification exists, the claimant is not eligible for EB in that benefit year. And many times now unused extension money is transferred from one benefit year to the next, but EB can't be transferred if there is a disqualification in the year the extensions are based off of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or