Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 27,512 times

Advertisements

Having read multiple topics, I feel like I understand the rules much better now. Many thanks to you, jdljr. Your info is a great service in my opinion, and it's not like you have to put in any time here to help us if you didn't want to.

I think I just have one question after all the reading:

From a combination of many of your posts, I feel like I understand the base period thing and the 1.5 multiplier and all that stuff. From various posts, you mention that one should re-apply at the end of one's benefit year, regardless. At that point, if one qualifies, they receive a minimum of a "new?" 13 weeks of benefits. My benefit year will end early Feb 2010, and I'm currently on Tier 1 of EUC08 (they don't tell me Tier 1 at this point, they just say I get paid till the last week of Dec 2009). I would expect to be in Tier 2 from then till Feb 2010. I'm confused on what a "new claim benefit" after the benefit year is up, is, vs. EUC and EB extensions. In another post, you said if one didn't qualify on the new claim at the end of the benefit year, one would "likely" get the rest of the EUC and EB money left. Well, by my calculation it should be 27 weeks! Which matches the 79 max I've heard. That sounds better than even a max of 26 new weeks in 2010. And if you lose the remaining weeks of EUC and EB, why is it listed as so many weeks to begin with?

Ok, I guess this makes me think of a 2nd question: On base period, you say "right now it's the last three quarters of 2008 and the first quarter of 2009". Do you think it would still be that by Feb2010? I am guessing we can't know for sure, but certainly the farther back in time it is, the better it is for me since I worked for years and years before Feb 2009.

Thanks!

Last edited by Neurostorm; 09-15-2009 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:31 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Guys, make sure you are having taxes taken out of your UE benefits...it counts as income.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:55 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,771 times
I wish I knew where I was at with my unemployment. I know it shows me as getting paid for 58 weeks of unemployment soo far but my benefit year has been expired since the first of August. So even though my benefit year is expired and my account for remaining benefits is zero I am still filing and collecting my unemployment benefits as usual. Also I second that on making sure federal taxes are being taken out because if they are you will more than likely get a tax refund at tax time.

Also I think the maximum for unemployment benefits is up to 92 weeks now, isn't it?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
ok total base period wages are what you earned ? all year? total wages earned in a year devided by 4? boy do i feel stupid i cannot figure this out!!!!!
Right now the base period is:

2nd quarter 2008
3rd quarter 2008
4th quarter 2008
1st quarter 2009

So take the total wages earned in those quarters (or whatever base period quarters were used to build your claim). That amount must be equal to or greater than 1 1/2 times the high quarter wages in that base period to be monetarily eligible for any extensions.

If you want to post what your base period quarters were, and the associated wages for each quarter, I can do a computation for you.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
i earned about 51,000 during those quarters (total wages). 12844 was high quarter. where do i get a breakdown of earnings for each quarter?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
i earned about 51,000 during those quarters (total wages). 12844 was high quarter. where do i get a breakdown of earnings for each quarter?
The ESC would have this information, you should have received a printout in the mail of what was in each quarter when you filed your claim.

But if $12,844 was your high quarter, then your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than $19,266 (which is 1.5 times $12,844) in order to be eligible for extensions. Clearly, at about $51,000 total base period wages, you would be monetarily eligible.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:16 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
cool thanks...............i do not remember getting anything from esc but the wife may have put it in the black hole that seems to appear now and than sucking up everything from mail to socks. i really appreciate your assistance

Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 PM

Re-posting my questions in the main NC forums, as this may not be as visible in the Charlotte sub-forum to those with the answers. (can't seem to find an edit button for my original post like I had when I first made it..)

On the 92 weeks... I did read that somewhere else on these forums - haven't heard it anywhere else.

NC Extended Unemployment

Old 09-18-2009, 08:57 PM

Having read multiple topics, I feel like I understand the rules much better now. Many thanks to you, jdljr. Your info is a great service in my opinion, and it's not like you had to put in any time here to help us if you didn't want to.

I think I just have a couple of questions after all the reading:

I feel like I understand the base period thing and the 1.5 multiplier and all that stuff. You mention that one should re-apply at the end of one's benefit year, regardless. At that point, if one qualifies, they receive a minimum of a "new?" 13 weeks of benefits. My benefit year will end early Feb 2010, and I'm currently on Tier 1 of EUC08 till near the end of Dec 2009. I would expect to be in Tier 2 from then till Feb 2010.

I'm confused on what a "new claim benefit" after the benefit year is up, is, vs. EUC and EB extensions. You also mention in this thread that if one doesn't qualify on the new claim at the end of the benefit year, one will "likely" get the rest of the EUC and EB money left. Well, by my calculation the remainder should be 27 weeks! Which matches the 79 max I've heard (79 - 52 weeks already used = 27. I know that another 13 may be added to make it 92 max). 27 sure sounds better than even a max of 26 new weeks starting Feb 2010.

I guess this makes me think of a 2nd question: On base period, you say "right now it's the last three quarters of 2008 and the first quarter of 2009". Do you think it would still be that by Feb2010? I am guessing we can't know for sure, but certainly the farther back in time it is, the better it is for me since I worked for years and years before Feb 2009.

Thanks!

Last edited by Neurostorm; 09-18-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurostorm View Post
Having read multiple topics, I feel like I understand the rules much better now. Many thanks to you, jdljr. Your info is a great service in my opinion, and it's not like you had to put in any time here to help us if you didn't want to.

I think I just have a couple of questions after all the reading:

I feel like I understand the base period thing and the 1.5 multiplier and all that stuff. You mention that one should re-apply at the end of one's benefit year, regardless. At that point, if one qualifies, they receive a minimum of a "new?" 13 weeks of benefits. My benefit year will end early Feb 2010, and I'm currently on Tier 1 of EUC08 till near the end of Dec 2009. I would expect to be in Tier 2 from then till Feb 2010.

I'm confused on what a "new claim benefit" after the benefit year is up, is, vs. EUC and EB extensions. You also mention in this thread that if one doesn't qualify on the new claim at the end of the benefit year, one will "likely" get the rest of the EUC and EB money left. Well, by my calculation the remainder should be 27 weeks! Which matches the 79 max I've heard (79 - 52 weeks already used = 27. I know that another 13 may be added to make it 92 max). 27 sure sounds better than even a max of 26 new weeks starting Feb 2010.

I guess this makes me think of a 2nd question: On base period, you say "right now it's the last three quarters of 2008 and the first quarter of 2009". Do you think it would still be that by Feb2010? I am guessing we can't know for sure, but certainly the farther back in time it is, the better it is for me since I worked for years and years before Feb 2009.

Thanks!
Hello, thank you for the kind words.

When your benefit year ends, you have no choice but to try and set up a new benefit year. A benefit year is the 52-week circle of time from when you first set up your claim. A UI claim is valid for only 52 weeks. After that, it's done.

So in February when your benefit year ends, regardless of what is left on the claim you must set up a new benefit year if you want to continue receiving benefits. IF you have enough wages in the base period at that time to set up a new regular UI claim, that's what will happen. You can't pick and choose from which pot of money or which program you want to draw your UI. Right now there are four potential pots of money for a UI claim, and they pay in this order:

Regular UI
EUC08 Tier 1 (first extension)
EUC08 Tier 2 (second extension)
EB (third extension (federal money))

So if next Feb you set up a new benefit year, if you have enough wages to build a new UI claim you would start out with anywhere from 13-26 weeks of regular UI. Then, if you meet the 1.5 times rule you may qualify for the extensions.

Also, base periods change every quarter. The next one will change the Sunday of the first full week of October. At that time, the new base period will be 3Q2008, 4Q2008, 1Q2009 and 2Q2009. By the time Feb rolls around, the base period will be 4Q2008, 1Q2009, 2Q2009, 3Q2009. So if you've worked in those quarters and have ample wages to set up a new regular UI claim, that's what will happen. If you DON'T have ample wages to set up a new regular UI claim, you'd still have to attempt to set up a new regular UI claim, but then what they'd do is set up a new benefit year for you in order to go back and get any unused extension money on your existing claim.

Also keep in mind that if you do have enough wages in the base period to set up a new regular UI claim, the weekly benefit amount will likely be different from what you're receiving now. Could be higher or could be lower. Depends on what your high quarter wages are. Take your high quarter base period wages and divide by 26. That gives you your weekly benefit amount. Just bringing this up, because if you are currently receiving, say, $400 a week and your benefit year ends and you qualify for a new regular UI claim that pays only, say, $236 a week, you'll get the $236 a week even though you would have received $400 per week if you wouldn't have qualified for a new regular UI claim. Sounds confusing I know, but the bottom line is, if you qualify for a new regular UI claim, you can't get the money that was left on your existing claim when it ran out.

Last edited by jdljr; 09-19-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina