U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-31-2009, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,150,216 times
Reputation: 282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdrt185 View Post
OCRESIDENT Have you exhausted all benefits? I have and was wondering how this will work for someone who has exhausted benefits as far back as April 2009
I asked my Manager about this, and she called our Regional Claims Specialist who said that she is of the belief that for ANYONE that received Tier 1 and Tier 2 EUC and exhausted them, they should be eligible for this Tier 3 and 4 EUC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,150,216 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterri522 View Post
Did you speak to someone this morning? And they provided this information to you? I thought NCESC no longer does checks. but EPPICARD system and/or Direct Deposits.
ESC still does checks, in limited circumstances. Some people who are just now exhausting their benefit year have been receiving checks all along because they opened their benefit year before ESC started using the Debit Card. Also, some people may receive a check for the one week that their account is in transition from debit card to direct deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 PM
 
64 posts, read 153,565 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
...some very wise thoughts, indeed! It's no joke that if you don't either call the specified number (different from any other number usually called) or visit a local office, it may result in errors or delays.
Ty and you've got alot of patience to both do this all day and then to offer advice in the evening. Again, ty you are calming the nerves of many folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,150,216 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by member2009 View Post
unfortunately nothing has changed for me in the system. status still says: benefits exhausted.
any advise anybody? JDLJR?
Well, without looking at your claim, I am not sure. Remember, that although there are more than 250,000 claimants in NC, the ESC had identified 70,000 that were eligible for the extensions. For whatever reason, apparently not everyone were eligible...BUT...if you exhausted Tier 1 and Tier 2 EUC, then you should be eligible. I guess the ones that may not be eligible are those that never received Tier 1 or Tier 2 EUC.

Also, yours may say exhausted until you physically contact ESC at the designated number for Tier 3 (don't have it on me) or visit the local office to have your claim reopened - if it's been more than 4 weeks that you've exhausted Tier 1 and Tier 2, you'll have to have it reopened for the Tier 3 to become effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,150,216 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by member2009 View Post
i called 866 number. The lady told me i am not eligible.
i exhausted my tier 2 in June 2009. My new benefit year started in August. 2009 and because i already exhausted my tier 2, i became not elegible for tier 2 in my new benefit year. if you are not eligible for tier 2 in your benefit year, you are not eligible for tier 3. basically, she said if you exhausted your tier 2 in your previous benefit year, you are not qualified for any of this money.
is it true? please, somebody help. I am very stressed out. thank you.
Hmmm...first I've heard of this. If it's true, that would be information that has not been shared with my local office (at least I never heard it). Yours may be more complex...when you opened a new benefit year in August, did you qualify for a new, regular UI claim at that time, or did they just bring forward any unused extension money from your old claim??

I was of the belief that you weren't limited to just one round of EUC. In other words, I thought that if you met the qualifications for EUC in your new benefit year you would get it, even if you also got EUC in your old benefit year.

I really don't know what to say, other than I'll have to try and remember to check it out Monday, and ask my colleagues if they've heard of such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 04:48 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,281 times
Reputation: 10
jdljr,

Hi. I am new to this forum. I hate to come in asking questions, but I am at wit's end based on information i received today and hoping you can provide a bit of needed information.

I have been receiving benefits since August/September 2007 (I think August, though). I have received Tier 1, Tier 2, and EB. My EB ran out the second week of October 2009 and my status said, Benefits Exhausted. I called ESC after this happened and a rep told me to to wait until after Oct. 26 and open a new claim. I waited and tried to open a new claim online, but nothing. It wouldn't let me...and gave a number to call.
I called the number (different than the first number), and this ESC lady said that I was out of benefits and couldn't file anymore or open a new claim. She said the first lady shouldn't told me to file a new claim because I couldn't do it, anyway. She told me that I would have to wait until after my BYE 12/26/2009 to open a new claim.

Fast forward to after the extension was passed. Worried, I called ESC (online) because I was worried that I may have messed up by trying to file. They person I spoke with told me everything was fine, and also said that they didn't have any information about who qualifies at that time.

I called two weeks later to ask questions about BYE to see if there was anything that I needed to do.

OK...now, fast forward to a few weeks ago. I spoke to Larry Parker-information officer, as well as the manager at local office and both said I was a good candidate for new extension based on fact that I had received all previous extensions...but couldn't say for sure. Both told me to wait until after 12/26/2009 to open a new claim.
I did as instructed and on Sunday, 12/27/2009...I opened a new claim. I called the remote services center, Monday. 12/28/2009 to follow up with a rep, because I knew someone would have to make it active, as I had experienced last year. This person told me that I was a good candidate for new extension, but said at that time...just couldn't say for sure if I would get it. Said, I would see monetarily ineligible...but not to worry.

Yesterday, i received 6 different letters. I didn't worry about them, but today decided to check anyway...just in case because they also said monetarily ineligible (which I had received also when on EB).

Today, the lady at remote services center said I was monetarily ineligible because I didn't have enough wages in the base period. I said, yes...as before, but I received all Tiers and EB. She said that I earned $900 in 2008 and I explained that it was from a temporary, seasonal, part time job that ony lasted 2 1/2 weeks. She said it wasn't enough to qualify for Tier 3 because it's not enough wages. I asked why I qualified before...and said it didn't make sense.

So, my question if you can answer it is:
Will those earnings from a temp., seasonal job really disqualify me when I have received all Tiers and EB? ...also, was I given the wrong instructions as far as opening a new claim after my BYE ended Saturday?...or did the lady open a regular claim when it should have been handled by extended benefits department or something like that?

This information has been very upsetting, so if you know anything I will appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cissy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 04:52 PM
 
7 posts, read 22,474 times
Reputation: 10
My EB starts this coming week and year end ends on the 9th. Will I still receive EB if I do not qualify for a new Benefit or will my year end be extended or replaced with Tier 3 and after that roll back into EB's that are left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,150,216 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cissy_2 View Post
jdljr,

Hi. I am new to this forum. I hate to come in asking questions, but I am at wit's end based on information i received today and hoping you can provide a bit of needed information.

I have been receiving benefits since August/September 2007 (I think August, though). I have received Tier 1, Tier 2, and EB. My EB ran out the second week of October 2009 and my status said, Benefits Exhausted. I called ESC after this happened and a rep told me to to wait until after Oct. 26 and open a new claim. I waited and tried to open a new claim online, but nothing. It wouldn't let me...and gave a number to call.
I called the number (different than the first number), and this ESC lady said that I was out of benefits and couldn't file anymore or open a new claim. She said the first lady shouldn't told me to file a new claim because I couldn't do it, anyway. She told me that I would have to wait until after my BYE 12/26/2009 to open a new claim.

Fast forward to after the extension was passed. Worried, I called ESC (online) because I was worried that I may have messed up by trying to file. They person I spoke with told me everything was fine, and also said that they didn't have any information about who qualifies at that time.

I called two weeks later to ask questions about BYE to see if there was anything that I needed to do.

OK...now, fast forward to a few weeks ago. I spoke to Larry Parker-information officer, as well as the manager at local office and both said I was a good candidate for new extension based on fact that I had received all previous extensions...but couldn't say for sure. Both told me to wait until after 12/26/2009 to open a new claim.
I did as instructed and on Sunday, 12/27/2009...I opened a new claim. I called the remote services center, Monday. 12/28/2009 to follow up with a rep, because I knew someone would have to make it active, as I had experienced last year. This person told me that I was a good candidate for new extension, but said at that time...just couldn't say for sure if I would get it. Said, I would see monetarily ineligible...but not to worry.

Yesterday, i received 6 different letters. I didn't worry about them, but today decided to check anyway...just in case because they also said monetarily ineligible (which I had received also when on EB).

Today, the lady at remote services center said I was monetarily ineligible because I didn't have enough wages in the base period. I said, yes...as before, but I received all Tiers and EB. She said that I earned $900 in 2008 and I explained that it was from a temporary, seasonal, part time job that ony lasted 2 1/2 weeks. She said it wasn't enough to qualify for Tier 3 because it's not enough wages. I asked why I qualified before...and said it didn't make sense.

So, my question if you can answer it is:
Will those earnings from a temp., seasonal job really disqualify me when I have received all Tiers and EB? ...also, was I given the wrong instructions as far as opening a new claim after my BYE ended Saturday?...or did the lady open a regular claim when it should have been handled by extended benefits department or something like that?

This information has been very upsetting, so if you know anything I will appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cissy
To me, having enough wages in the base period has nothing to do with qualifying for Tier 3 at this point. At this point, from what we've heard, if you've exhausted Tier 1 and Tier 2, you should be eligible for Tier 3. Opening a new benefit year on Dec 27 may cause a delay in your Tier 3, if you're eligible. You will likely have to visit a local office and get a manager involved, who may in turn get a regional claims specialist involved. Hopefully it's true that you are indeed eligible for Tier 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,150,216 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by clog View Post
My EB starts this coming week and year end ends on the 9th. Will I still receive EB if I do not qualify for a new Benefit or will my year end be extended or replaced with Tier 3 and after that roll back into EB's that are left.
You will receive Tier 3 before EB, until your benefit year ends. When your benefit year ends you will have to attempt a new benefit year. If you don't have enough wages for a new, regular UI claim when you file that new benefit year, then remaining extension money from your old benefit year will be brought forward into the new benefit year for you to draw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 05:25 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,281 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
To me, having enough wages in the base period has nothing to do with qualifying for Tier 3 at this point. At this point, from what we've heard, if you've exhausted Tier 1 and Tier 2, you should be eligible for Tier 3. Opening a new benefit year on Dec 27 may cause a delay in your Tier 3, if you're eligible. You will likely have to visit a local office and get a manager involved, who may in turn get a regional claims specialist involved. Hopefully it's true that you are indeed eligible for Tier 3.

Thanks Jdljr. I know that was quite a bit to read through...and maybe a bit confusing...wrote it while still upset.
After reading a few posts and "talking" to another fellow unemployed person, I think I may be eligible and that the rep I spoke to today is wrong...I hope this is the case, anyway.

I am going to go to my local office Monday and see what can be done to undo what has been done already. I think I was given the wrong set of instructions, as far as opening a new claim. I did check with several, but obviously not enough were trained with correct information. I don't blame the reps. because I would hate to be in their shoes. I just think whoever decided how to implement this, didn't do a good job. Too many reps. working with limited, if any information, trying to help a worried and anxious public is NOT a good thing.

I appreciate your help and all you have done for everyone on this forum.

Last edited by cissy_2; 12-31-2009 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top