U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 08:23 PM

407 posts, read 600,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
i dont know that i would take that route.
the letters say they can take up to 50% of your weekly benefit away to pay off the the overpayment. are there weeks of payments to "swap out"? in most cases. but, if it takes them time to make all that happen, you risk getting half unemployment checks in the meantime. and who says the ESC is going to be efficient and commonsensical with all this, anyway?
KC is wondering if theres a conflict with the appeal and her EB, and would the appeal put a hold on ANY benefit money until the appeal is heard and determined. that would be a question to ask a rep. i think we can assure the ESC, that if 40,000 do the waiver(an appeal), and they hold 40,000 accounts, thats only going to make everything even more pressure packed for all parties.
IF u check the NC ESC main page, on the right hand column they have added a blurb saying SOME PEOPLE WERE INCORRECTLY PAID, and that they are replacing those wrong weeks with Tier or EB weeks instead--- meaning if u got paid 13 weeks of a 2nd year that was in error, they will replace it-retroactively with tier 3 or 4 weeks or EB weeks instead-- THUS balancing it all out-- except any difference (for me, $7 a week for 13 weeks)
i cannot say 100% this will happen
BUT i have emailed 4 people who were OWED $$$$ from NC (they got a year 2 that was LESS, so NC owed them $ back) and all 4 of those ALLREADY HAVE GOTTEN direct deposits for $200-1600 from the state!
MY GUESS IS that if they are allready paying back people THEY owe, then they are on the ball this time around (AS USUALLY NC paying people is the last thing to get fixed!) BUTTTT we wont know til payments start to hit in the morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 PM

330 posts, read 413,815 times
i like how my letters conveniently avoid the week i got a 4/10ths amount.
yeah, dont send a letter explaining that or what the $160 you put in my account Thursday is for.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 PM

330 posts, read 413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
IF u check the NC ESC main page, on the right hand column they have added a blurb saying SOME PEOPLE WERE INCORRECTLY PAID, and that they are replacing those wrong weeks with Tier or EB weeks instead--- meaning if u got paid 13 weeks of a 2nd year that was in error, they will replace it-retroactively with tier 3 or 4 weeks or EB weeks instead-- THUS balancing it all out-- except any difference (for me, $7 a week for 13 weeks)
i cannot say 100% this will happen
BUT i have emailed 4 people who were OWED $$$$ from NC (they got a year 2 that was LESS, so NC owed them $ back) and all 4 of those ALLREADY HAVE GOTTEN direct deposits for $200-1600 from the state!
MY GUESS IS that if they are allready paying back people THEY owe, then they are on the ball this time around (AS USUALLY NC paying people is the last thing to get fixed!) BUTTTT we wont know til payments start to hit in the morning!
i dont think we're as concerned with people that got money as we are with people that got letters totaling $16,000 in "overpayments".
most people cant wait more than a week for a benefit, so to wait a month while an appeal is being figured out could be detrimental. if thats even how it would go. people should ask.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:31 PM

656 posts, read 1,022,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHA12 View Post
First thank you guys so much for your help. here is some extra info.

I was approved for Unemployment Insurance, my benefit year began on 03/28/2010 and it says it will end on 3/26/2011 for 26 weeks.

So from what I am reading on here I should get a letter soon, so I am going to wait yo see what is next.....Will I be have any weeks without payment?? (Just so that I can prepare myself)

I've also received Eligibility Review Notice's that I fill out and mail/fax in about every 3 months
Thanks!!!
If you qualify for your tiers 1-4, they will send you a letter and no, you shouldn't have any weeks without pay.
If you don't qualify for any tiers then there's a chance that you'll be finished., but since you've earned enough for the max of 26 weeks, I'd say its a safe bet you'll be fine.
Now the tricky part is this, since the senate vote this past July.
The EUC08 (tiers) program is set to end for everyone Nov 27th., that would mean whatever tier your in, you could finish that out and then NOT roll onto the next one
However, at that time you may qualify to go into 20 weeks of EB which is state money at the same weekly rate until your year end date or close to it.
Now this is all a guess from what (I) seem to understand your situation is

Also, of course there could be a miracle and the senate would vote to extend the Nov 27th ending date...... I somehow doubt this will happen though.
To qualify for EB at the end of your tiers you need to have NO previous diqualifications(appeals) even though won ect..... if you qualified for the tiers you should also be eligible for EB., they would enroll you straight into those funds at the end of tier 4, or if the tiers end in Nov

Kinda confusing, but you could be in our situation right now and trust me it's a mess, (lol)
Just keep filing and relax, sounds like it's all going to be fine for you
Goodluck!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,272 times
Thank you all very much for all your help, I will continue to file online and pray for a miracle to happen come Nov 27

Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 PM

776 posts, read 1,526,463 times
Don't be too discouraged over Nov 27. The reason why the republicans held their ground against the extension of EUC earlier in the summer, was because the bill was a) tied to a much larger bill with some wasteful spending measures, and b) was not paid for. The whole theory that ALL republicans want to cut the unemployed off and throw them out onto the streets is just plain silly. But people will say anything in an ever important election year, I guess.

If you recall, Scott Brown (R-MA) and a team of republicans had pushed a bill forward that would've used existing unspent stimulus dollars to pay for the latest extension. In fact, at the time, the republicans argued that since the stimulus was failing to do much of anything, why don't we just direct the remaining balance (at the time was well over $400B) and split it between extending unemployment thru much of 2011 and injecting it into the private sector in the hopes that it can lead to job creation. It was the most sensible idea I had heard, yet it wasn't technically "heard", because Reid and the democrats squashed it pretty quickly, in favor of their "print and spend" politics. God forbid we should sacrifice the creation of a few thousand green jobs, whatever the heck they are, and put it towards unemployment and trying to figure out why the private sector isn't hiring.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 PM

193 posts, read 257,947 times
I'm owed $2357.. haven't gotten a deposit yet but we'll see in the AM.

I hope I do but who knows... with my luck.. i'll get 10 billion OP letters. haha.

Good luck everyone. This is a big mess

Old 09-27-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
i dont think we're as concerned with people that got money as we are with people that got letters totaling $16,000 in "overpayments".
most people cant wait more than a week for a benefit, so to wait a month while an appeal is being figured out could be detrimental. if thats even how it would go. people should ask.
i understand the concern 100% as im in the same boat
i should "owe" over $3000
BUT if they do as the site says and simply swap out those weeks with my tier 4 and eb weeks--- then it balances out

Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 AM

and since our deposits hit at different times and some of us will have better phone luck than others
PLEASE lets all post once we hear or see ANYTHING to help out the others

Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 AM

31 posts, read 38,564 times
Well looks like they are not kidding on the 50% part. Have not even had time to call or anything since receiving letters Saturday and already payment showing is half of what I should receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or