U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 07:01 AM

193 posts, read 257,831 times

Advertisements

wow. that sucks. i hope the best for ya. i hope they can. it's crazy. i just resorted to emailing them. i hope they at least email me back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:08 AM

16 posts, read 18,867 times
The Associated Press: Thousands may owe NC for unemployment overpayments

Thousands may owe NC for unemployment overpayments
(AP) – 1 hour ago
RALEIGH, N.C. — A North Carolina agency says thousands of long-term unemployed people could owe the state money because the agency mistakenly overpaid them.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reports Tuesday that the Employment Security Commission made about $28 million in overpayments to jobless North Carolinians over the last two years.
The agency last week began sending letters to about 38,000 people who it says were either overpaid or underpaid through no fault of their own.
The agency estimates about 15 percent of recipients were underpaid and will be eligible for additional benefits.
Overpayments could be forgiven if people apply for a waiver, but the commission wasn't able to say how those requests would be evaluated.
Information from: The News & Observer, News, Sports, Business, Politics - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill | The News & Observer

Old 09-28-2010, 07:13 AM

16 posts, read 18,867 times
Jobless told they owe money to the ESC - Economy - NewsObserver.com

EmailPrintOrder Reprint Share: Yahoo! Buzz Text
TOOL NAME
close x
tool goes here
BY DAVID BRACKEN - STAFF WRITER
Thousands of long-term unemployed North Carolinians could soon owe the state money because the Employment Security Commission improperly made about $28 million in payments over the last two years.

Last week, the ESC began sending out letters to about 38,000 people who it has determined were either overpaid or underpaid through no fault of their own.

Recipients, all of whom received unemployment benefits for a year or longer, are getting anywhere from one to six letters depending on the number of times their benefits have been extended.

The final letter has the correct amount due, but the letters often aren't arriving in the right order. The letters also tell people they can apply for a waiver to have the overpayment forgiven. But the ESC can provide no details on how each wavier will be evaluated.

Despite sending out the letters, the ESC was unable on Monday to provide an estimate of how many people will owe the state money.

"We are hoping a majority of these [final letters] will say zero," said Larry Parker, an ESC spokesman.

The ESC estimates about 15 percent of recipients were underpaid and will be eligible for additional benefits.

People who do owe money have until Oct. 8 to file the waiver.

"If their waiver's not approved they would have to owe money back," Parker said. "But we don't know how many that's going to be."

How did it happen?

Parker said the improper payments are the result of the ESC paying people from the wrong funding sources and thus overdrawing some accounts and aren't the result of incorrectly calculating individuals' benefits. But he was unable to explain how the accounting problems might result in some people owing the state money.

"It's really very hard to explain," he said. "It gets really tricky just because of how the program evolved since July of 2008."

Since July 2008, the federal government has approved a series of unemployment benefit extensions and North Carolina has qualified for an additional extension because of its high unemployment rate.

The ESC has been criticized at times during the economic downturn for being slow to verify unemployment claims and frustrating job seekers with delays. The ESC paid out about $42 million in unemployment benefits last week alone.

Parker said all of the 38,000 people who received letters still have active unemployment claims.

A bemused recipient

But Nikki Winterholler, 35, of Raleigh, who stopped collecting benefits Aug. 1, said she has received two letters since Saturday. The first said she was overpaid $390 for the period April 24 to May 29.

The second, which arrived Monday, said she owed $569 for the period from March 6 to April 17.

Winterholler said she has tried in vain to make sense of the numbers and plans to apply for a waiver. Having just found a job after being unemployed for 18 months, she said this was the last thing she needs.

"Now I've got these people, who are supposed to help us, wanting more money back," Winterholler said. "It's like, 'What on earth?'"

In addition to the letters, the ESC posted a message on its website that said "the improper payments are being corrected with little impact on individuals in most cases."

Those with questions were told to contact the commission by e-mail.

Winterholler said the ESC's handling of the issue made her wonder whether it's being swamped by all the unemployed people in the state.

"It think they are so overwhelmed over there that they don't know what's going on," she said.

david.bracken@newsobserver.com or 919-829-4548

Read more: Jobless told they owe money to the ESC - Economy - NewsObserver.com

Old 09-28-2010, 07:19 AM

36 posts, read 51,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
WELL at this point all i can think to do, is wait until the EB kicks in and call back and see if someone can manually move those weeks up instead of taking 50% away...
Did they give you any idea when you would start receiving benefits again?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 AM

407 posts, read 600,250 times
IN THEORY, next monday i should be able to certify and get paid from EB
a 50% payment
BUT i will need to call back and have them MANUALLY re-enter the payment from this week that didnt go through (since it tried to pay me from TIER 4 which is exhausted)
so i would at least get 2 50% payments next week to equal one whole

AND of course the 2nd year "1 week waiting period" will be credited back to me... TOWARDS THE OVERPAYMENT, so whoop-di-doo!

I DID JUST CALL BACK and spoke to another lady --- who gave me different info! she told me
1. the waivers will 99% NOT be approved--- that only those who are benefits exhausted can expect a waiver to pass, the rest of us NO WAY JOSE!
and
2. she thinks they are trying to offset the overpayments with EB weeks, BUT since people like me were NOT YET IN EB when the program ran, a second program might have to be run to fix us... BUT SHE ISNT SURE if and when that will happen

so here we are..... screwed and broke!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 AM

330 posts, read 413,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
OK Well I just got off the phone with Remote Services, Lady was nice and helpful BUT still a mess!

OK She had to MANUALLY move me into EB
which she did
HOWEVER she told me that at this point they WILL be taking 50% out every week for 12 -13 weeks or so until the overpayment balance is paid off!!!!!!

she said to request the WAIVER any way,even though its a long shot. BUT at this point they wont be moving those weeks up / swapping them out b/c of the way the program is set up!
so HOW in the hell can i live on $110 a week for 3 months?????
i had a feeling that it would shake out that way. sorry.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 AM

which in a way COULD make sense (or maybe im so stressed out that Im grasping at straws here!)
i can see that maybe if they re-run the program that replaced my tier 2/4 weeks into the overpaid weeks
that MAYBE it might do the same thing for my EB weeks, but who knows

Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
i had a feeling that it would shake out that way. sorry.
well it is BS but im trying to be positive and HOPE they can fix it next week or so
b/c a lot of us are in the same boat here, and i think the IT people MIGHT be smart enough to say, "lets rerun this and move these new EB folks back to where they should be!"

AT LEAST right now i owe
ONCE they credit back the "one week waiting period" week to me for the WRONG year 2, thatll take it down to $1200 even
AND then monday when i get my first EB week (and call back to have them manually re key the week from this week that didnt go through)
thatll knock off another $223
taking me down to $977
which is STILL a lot! almost 9 weeks left at 50% payments!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:43 AM

330 posts, read 413,644 times
The final letter has the correct amount due, but the letters often aren't arriving in the right order. The letters also tell people they can apply for a waiver to have the overpayment forgiven. But the ESC can provide no details on how each wavier will be evaluated.
final letter? what final letter? every letter i have received covers a different time period. there was no final letter. why would reps be telling us how much we owe, why would money be taken out if there was a final determination yet to come?
Despite sending out the letters, the ESC was unable on Monday to provide an estimate of how many people will owe the state money.

"We are hoping a majority of these [final letters] will say zero," said Larry Parker, an ESC spokesman.

Parker said the improper payments are the result of the ESC paying people from the wrong funding sources and thus overdrawing some accounts and aren't the result of incorrectly calculating individuals' benefits. But he was unable to explain how the accounting problems might result in some people owing the state money.
wrong funding source? not what we've heard. two different reps told me that ESC had not been complying with Federal Law. and someone here, as we know, said it WAS about calculating. the 6x rule.
"It's really very hard to explain," he said. "It gets really tricky just because of how the program evolved since July of 2008."

In addition to the letters, the ESC posted a message on its website that said "the improper payments are being corrected with little impact on individuals in most cases." um, really?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 AM

193 posts, read 257,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSU_madman View Post
Jobless told they owe money to the ESC - Economy - NewsObserver.com

Last week, the ESC began sending out letters to about 38,000 people who it has determined were either overpaid or underpaid through no fault of their own.

The ESC estimates about 15 percent of recipients were underpaid and will be eligible for additional benefits.---HUH? I just want my money. That's all.

What kind of additional benefits because I haven't heard of any?
wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or