U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM

330 posts, read 267,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjerliz View Post
WBTV (Charlotte) did a lead story on the ESC overpayments just a few minutes ago. They mostly related the story of a woman who went through this about 3 weeks ago and was told it was an error on ESC's part; however this round she has been told she owes $5,000. The bottom line was ESC's statement that "this is a very complicated accounting issue," but that is all they would say. And, BTW, the local ESC head was "out sick."
hehe. i emailed WBTV yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM

that is just burning me.

"once they receive all the letters (and we take 80% of what you THOUGHT you were going to get this year) most people wont owe anything."

see? what are you people worrying about?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:54 PM

5,150 posts, read 3,111,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjerliz View Post
Oops, I forgot the infamous note at the bottom of letter #3 as noted above: "Claim has indefinite/ineligible disqualification"
I got the exact three letters but mine mentioned qualified for Tier 2. I wish they would have included a time stamp on these things so we'll know which is the last one.

Still bracing for more OP letters.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iredell_Lori View Post
Yes it does. Does that mean simply "You ain't getting diddly until you repay us what you owe us?"
I think the disqualify footnote is for the 2nd fake year only. I'm basing this because for the first time I got a letter (same day as the other two) that mentioned a tier. No other of my letters spelled out a tier. So if I'm lucky that could mean that the disqual was for the fake year, 1st tier ate up most of what I "owed" and I can draw from 2nd tier at 50% until I pay back.

I got a 50% check today. Again, I've only gotten an OP for one week and that week makes no sense to me so I'm not calling anyone until I don't get a letter for a day.

Wesbsite shows an active claim and I did get 50% this week even with those three letters and footnote disqual.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboytoast View Post
i wish everyone the best here...i was laid off in March 2009 after 5 years with a company...after no luck there i moved to greensboro and am still trying....it's a shame to be penalized for things that aren't our fault...like my mom used to say..."someone isn't equal to their position"

at the moment it's just me and my cat...and i am stressed out enough ....so i can't imagine what people with families are going through...everyone is in my thoughts and prayers for what that's worth...

i feel like all of these letters and run-ins with the ESC is like the old episode of Star Trek where they fool the computer by saying..."everything i say is a lie....i'm lying"

good luck everyone...
It looks like we are in the same boat when we lost our jobs (mine was a month later) and so far our OP letters. Let's see what the mail brings tomorrow. Please post back.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo12b View Post
my update 5 letters today
1st letter wage transcript
2nd eligible for 2nd tier
3rd eligible for 4th tier
4th not eligible for EUC so I guess that cancels my 2nd and
3rd letters
5th eligible for extended benefits, so i guess thats what i'll be getting from now on

I checked the ESC website and it still says benefits exhausted, guess it's gonna take a while for them to update the site.
Did you get a payment this week though? We're hoping that the 4th letter doesn't cancel out the 2nd and 3rd that what it cancels out is the new year but you still get the tiers.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:19 PM

FYI, they blew at least $100K on postage by not combining letters. I suppose there's a general statute they had to follow but that would have went a long way to paying off some waivers.

Charlotte Observer print edition had it on the front page today.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
FYI, they blew at least $100K on postage by not combining letters. I suppose there's a general statute they had to follow but that would have went a long way to paying off some waivers.

Charlotte Observer print edition had it on the front page today.
i also emailed the Charlotte Observer yesterday.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 PM

193 posts, read 169,499 times
Hey.. has anyone gotten in touch someone from Benefit Control Dept .. and gotten your money if YOU were owed???

Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 PM

from channel 9 in Greenville.

GREENVILLE, N.C. - It's a story that has become all too common: Families relying on unemployment just to get by.
Now a mistake in funding allotments by the Employment Security Commission has turned that unemployment benefit into an unemployment burden.
A funding error by the North Carolina Employee Security Commission pays out $28 million too much.
"About 38,000 [people] had a benefit year amount that didn't seem correct and we investigated," said David Clegg, ESC Deputy Chairman.
An investigation that found those 38,000 people in North Carolina had received benefits for longer than usual.
15 percent were paid too little, while 85 percent where paid too much.
"Because of the length of time they are in benefit status, many of those overpayments are very, very small," said Clegg.
But $500 isn't small to one Greenville resident we contacted via facebook. That was the price their first letter from the ESC stated, but officials say North Carolinians could receive anywhere from one to six letters, all with different quotes and only one with the right amount.
"We're asking those individuals to make sure they receive all the letters before they call, that last letter will give them the final amount," said Clegg.
Clegg says those who have to repay, will have that money automatically deducted from their current benefit check.
"They would continue to receive some benefits but we would reduce that until those individuals were repaid," said Clegg.
Those people who receive letters from the Employment Security Commission have until October 8th to sign up for a waiver that could release them from having to pay.
Those waivers are available at your local branch.
Clegg says all the letters of overpayment will be sent out in the next few days. He says the problem with the unemployment benefits has been corrected and will not happen again.

many of the overpayments are "very very small"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina