Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM

32 posts, read 48,640 times

Advertisements

i just found my letter saying I was eligible for the 2nd tier. it was mailed on Feb 18, 2010. It says i'm eligible for $3300 and at $291 a week. so if the 2nd tier kicked in Feb and I had to refile in March, I should still have benefits no matter how they shift it around. Tier 3,4 and EB. Everytime I call they say they are all used up. By my calculations i should be in EB with a few weeks left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 01:13 PM

83 posts, read 265,014 times
Here's my update. A few weeks or so ago, the ESC deposited more than $1,600 into my checking. I called the local ESC office and found out that I shouldn't have been qualified for a second benefit year. Lucky for me, the second benefit year had a much lower weekly benefit than the first year, which is why I received a "refund."

The local ESC rep also told me that I was put back into EUC at the year 1 higher rate, and that I was eligible for: 1 week Tier 2, Tier 3 was exhausted, 6 weeks Tier 4 and 20 weeks EB.

I've received 4 letters, none of which explain specifically how the ESC calculated the deposit I received. Today, I called again and talked to a local rep. I was told this time that I "may or may not be" eligible for 20 weeks EB!? He said I'd have to hang tight for a few weeks or so until "eveything gets sorted out." I don't follow this logic.

He also stated that under the year 2 claim, I received several thousand that I was not entitled to. Basically, I collected 25 weeks of year 2 benefits that I wasn't entitled to. However, if I hadn't been forced into a year 2 claim, I would've simply collected a higher weekly benefit amount at the year 1 EUC rate. So, why didn't the ESC multiply 25 by the weekly difference to arrive at my so-called "refund" amount? If it did, the amount would've been double that of what I actually received. Is it because the State funds, which were incorrectly paid to me for year 2 are entirely separate from the federal funds for EUC?

It seems I should be able to receive 20 weeks of EB. Upon talking to ESC the first time, I was told, yes, this is the case. Today, I was basically told- maybe. It's very unsettling. Currently, I have five weeks left of Tier 4.

Is anyone else in the same boat regarding having an original year 1 claim started around March 2009. Then, was forced into a year 2 claim, wrongly, whereby the weekly benefits were less than year 1. Only to learn now that we may or may not qualify for 20 weeks EB?

Old 10-05-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
well i just called back as well
and of course MORE PROBLEMS!
yesterday i had about 26 weeks of EB showing
NOW today
i have 12 weeks?
AND OF COURSE when i ask them
they dont show any useful info
and try to get me to be transfered to the same recovery dept that hasnt returned my calls in 10 days!!!!

so i was told for several days that the weeks they took away had been credited back to me on EB and now they are gone again? and noone can even tell me why? and the screen they have doesnt show that ever existed?
I received a major deposit a few Fridays ago, which was due to being forced into a year 2 claim, wrongly. I received 25 weeks of year 2 benefits at a lower rate vs. year 1.

Upon checking w/ESC, I was told I would positively be eligible for 20 weeks EB now that things have been "corrected." Since I have as of yet to receive a letter breaking down the ESC's calcs for the "refund" I received, I called again today.

Today, I was informed that I "may or may not" be eligible for 20 weeks EB! I was told to hang tight for a few weeks until things get sorted out. The ESC rep was very polite, though directly told me that he couldn't help right now!

Supposedly, the concern is that, yes, I was eligible for 20 weeks EB for year 1. However, in being incorrectly forced into a year 2 claim, I collected several thousand dollars wrongly for 25 weeks in year 2. This is what ESC is supposedly waiting for answers on.....

Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
I got one for ya....................................

me: peeing while on hold... and cutting my nails, brushing my teeth/hair... dressing my babies.. lol
John: ESC, this is John, whats your SSN?
me: xxx-xx-xxxx
John: Is your name ....? your dob...? your address???
me: yes sir.
john: what can i help u with?
me: im due a payment from you guys .... .
john: OH those have been taken care of.. u don't owe us anything.
me: no. im DUE A PAYMENT from YOU
john: I don't see where we owe u money.
me: I was paid 403 my 1st yr then 224 my 2nd.. for 13 weeks then pull forwarded my 403 from my 1st yr
john: huh?
me: repeat
john: SO you ran out of money on your 2nd yr so there is no more money to draw from.. you have no more benefits
me: i have a payment pending tomorrow for 403
john: huh?
me: supervisor, please?
john: yeeeaaahh, let me get you to her because she's the know all. i have no clue whats going on
me: waiting...... and listening as hes transferring me to her because he didn't mute me. haha.

the super was AWESOME!

TO ANYONE WHO IS DUE AN UNDERPAYMENT FROM THEM... IT WILL BE DONE BUT AT A UNDATED FUTURE DATE!

I asked her to note my account that I'm due because when I call in, the reps still think I'm in my 2nd yr, collecting 224 or nothing at all, apparently. She said ok.. no worries.. you'll get your money.

Sucks they don't have a date.. but it is what it is and thats all it is
I received more than $1,600 from ESC a few Fridays ago, right before TSHTF and everyone started receiving letters. Originally, the local ESC rep told me I was one of the "lucky ones" in not owing the State. She also said I'd qualify for 20 weeks EB, seeing as how I'd been "put back on the year 1 claim" and had EUC re-instated at the higher weekly rate. As of today, however, I was told by a local rep that, maybe, I'll receive EB. It's pending, and we'll know something more w/in the next few weeks. This is based on the fact that I collected regular UI via an incorrect year 2 claim. But, even if the State wants to take out what I "owe" in year 2 UI payments from 20 weeks EB, I'd still be left with about 8 weeks of EB to collect. Currently, I have 5 weeks of Tier 4 left.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
i agree with everyone that the FAQ is wrong and not helpful.

this isnt about getting the wrong $ amount in an otherwise OK claim to have a 2nd year. its about we werent supposed to have a 2nd year.

thats WHY we're getting letters saying ineligible. and thats WHY we're getting letters that say we qualify for Tier 3 or 4 or EB or whatever for Year 1.

i think CA11 is right. they just pulled some examples out of a pamphlet somewhere because of course they have no written FAQs for "we F'd up" situations.

take the Year 2 UI off the board, slide everyone's Year 1 into that position, count down the calendar, and where we are, we are.

that is going to offset most of the $28 million anyway.
if there are any overages, oh well, they get written off.
if they owe YOU because you got more per week last year, then you should get the $.
they dont need to do any math comparing this year to last, just slide it up and continue with full payments.
Well said. This is precisely what I'm thinking, yet the State is making it overly-complicated!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
im hoping that they do that
i mean LEGALLY i dont see how they can disqualify you for EB based on the 2nd year claim, which they ADMIT was incorrect!!!!!
i mean either way, they have no leg to stand on
IF they say OK THE CLAIM WAS WRONG, then LEGALLY they HAVE to fix it, thus erasing it for people like me AND making us eligible for EB

they cant just write the laws to suit their own needs and ignore ones that dont!
Right. After all of this came out a few weeks or so ago, I was originally told that I'd qualify for 20 weeks EB since my year 2 claim was incorrect. Today, however, I was told this may or may not happen. The local ESC man stated nicely that he simply doesn't know anything at this point, and we'll have to wait a few weeks for answers. I have 5 weeks of Tier 4 left, which is not a long time. I'd really like to know what's going to happen with EB for people like me who were incorrectly forced into a year 2 claim.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 PM

193 posts, read 285,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoletteW View Post
Here's my update. A few weeks or so ago, the ESC deposited more than $1,600 into my checking. I called the local ESC office and found out that I shouldn't have been qualified for a second benefit year. Lucky for me, the second benefit year had a much lower weekly benefit than the first year, which is why I received a "refund."

The local ESC rep also told me that I was put back into EUC at the year 1 higher rate, and that I was eligible for: 1 week Tier 2, Tier 3 was exhausted, 6 weeks Tier 4 and 20 weeks EB.

I've received 4 letters, none of which explain specifically how the ESC calculated the deposit I received. Today, I called again and talked to a local rep. I was told this time that I "may or may not be" eligible for 20 weeks EB!? He said I'd have to hang tight for a few weeks or so until "eveything gets sorted out." I don't follow this logic.

He also stated that under the year 2 claim, I received several thousand that I was not entitled to. Basically, I collected 25 weeks of year 2 benefits that I wasn't entitled to. However, if I hadn't been forced into a year 2 claim, I would've simply collected a higher weekly benefit amount at the year 1 EUC rate. So, why didn't the ESC multiply 25 by the weekly difference to arrive at my so-called "refund" amount? If it did, the amount would've been double that of what I actually received. Is it because the State funds, which were incorrectly paid to me for year 2 are entirely separate from the federal funds for EUC?

It seems I should be able to receive 20 weeks of EB. Upon talking to ESC the first time, I was told, yes, this is the case. Today, I was basically told- maybe. It's very unsettling. Currently, I have five weeks left of Tier 4.

Is anyone else in the same boat regarding having an original year 1 claim started around March 2009. Then, was forced into a year 2 claim, wrongly, whereby the weekly benefits were less than year 1. Only to learn now that we may or may not qualify for 20 weeks EB?

I'm in the same boat as you. Kinda. I'm due a refund. I didn't get it YET because my claim is a "dummy yr" since I ran out of UI on my 2nd yr, which LIKE YOU, i didn't qualify for.. and was paid $179 less a week than what I was getting.

I was told yesterday, I'll be getting my refund soon. But My question was since they gave me 13 weeks of UI which I didn't qualify for and they under paid me, what will happen? I'm in the beginning of Tier 4. Technically, they could take away 8 weeks of benefits from me which will total the 13 weeks that they gave me.. since I technically wasn't supposed to get it. The lady told me yesterday that it's VERY possible that I'll continue as normal.. with Tier 4 and then my EB. Since they're not making people pay back the money that can't screw the people like us either.

I hope that helps

Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM

193 posts, read 285,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renniegirl View Post
In response to:
"My high quarter was $5841.80.. Total was 6459.80...... if you divide that by 26, that's 224--- which is what I got.. but I only got that for 13 weeks. They said thats all i'd get out of my 2nd yr, hence why I did a pull forward.

BUTTTTTTT...... if you divide 5841.80 by 13 weeks, it is 449.30.. which is NOT what i got.

SO .. i did qualify for my 2nd year, they only paid me for 13 weeks at the 26 week rate.. PLEASE someone correct me if I'm wrong. "

Actually, when you take your high quarter and divide by 26, that has nothing to do with how long you receive your benefits. It's not that you get $$$ for 26 weeks. 26 is just the number you divide into your high quarter to determine how much per week you get. It's the same for everyone.

The calculation to determine how long you get your original benefits is different. Essentially, if your income was evenly distributed among the 4 quarters then you'll get 26 weeks. If you had one quarter that was substantially higher due to a bonus or something, you'll get more money than someone who had a similar income but no bonus, but you'll get fewer weeks that someone who had that same high amt in every quarter. That's how it works.

This is where I got this.. it's from the 1st page of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post

You can figure your claim duration for regular UI by adding the total wages in your base period, then divide that number by the high quarter in the base period, and multiply that result by 8.66. Minimum is 13 weeks, maximum is 26 weeks.

Good luck to you!
My point was that they said I only qualified for 13 weeks.. if u take my wages and do the math, I got the 26 wk amount for only 13 wks.

Last edited by jdmchic00; 10-05-2010 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: stuck on stupid

Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM

407 posts, read 660,884 times
well the latest i am being told (and others i know too) is that if u r in EB now b/c a 2nd year claim was taken back, u will keep it
BUT that isnt carved in stone and who knows

i was told that i will be staying in EB with about 12 weeks left
i SHOULD get a refund for the cash they took from my deposit for the OP, BUTTTTT i wont be getting those weeks they took from me back? which makes no sense but who knows!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,445 times
It makes zero sense, and if they are taking those weeks away from us...I (and I hope all of us) will DEMAND to know how they recouped that $28M. I don't want to hear that they took the money from our weeks away from us AND found a way to get that $28M they were down. I just don't trust government, especially an agency that is run as shoddy as this one.

Also, whatever happened to the SPECIAL hours that they were going to be open during this mess? I thought they had said reps would be available by phone til 8pm? As of 4:45 today, they're closed. They even mention "extended hours" til 5:30pm...yet, they're closed. And that goes for Remote Services and the main customer service number. They did that last time when Congress finally passed the extension. Oh yeah, you'll be able to call us up til 6 pm...yet no, they closed at like 3:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina