U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM

330 posts, read 413,964 times

Advertisements

are the cards active, with money?

not Frrrunkis!? well, dang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:59 PM

776 posts, read 1,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
are the cards active, with money?

not Frrrunkis!? well, dang.
I got tired of counting out my r's whenever I had to sign in.

Surprisingly enough, I have $5 on my card. I thought the account was drained, but I guess not.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM

193 posts, read 258,055 times
i have .20 cent on mine!

Old 10-26-2010, 04:58 PM

46 posts, read 63,532 times
Should I activate this new card? If I do, will I still get my payments by DD? I don't wanna change that. And seriously...theres small amounts of money on these things?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 PM

330 posts, read 413,964 times
something very interesting, and something you can share with those that accuse you of being on welfare.

found this today.
what do our taxes pay for?
i've paid taxes for going on 28 years. i'm sure all of you have also. but what do they pay for?

lets say you made $50,000 a couple years ago before all this happened, and filed singly.
the average tax on that amount is about $9781.
in 2008, that paid:
*$2200 to the Dept of the Treasury, for paying the INTEREST on the debt, for the Wall St Bailout (something that happened at the end of the Bush Admin), etc.
*$2122 to the Dept of Health and Human Services, primarily for Medicare and Medicaid
*$1984 to the Dept of Defense
*$1559 to Social Security

Note that the total so far is 80.4% of this example's total tax. Social Security, Defense, Medicare, Medicaid, the Wall St Bailout, Interest on the Debt.
keep in mind the bailout and TARP are basically over as far as coming out of our taxes.

paying toward unemployment insurance in 2008? $127. thats 1.3%. and, of course, we've ALL paid into unemployment through being taxed, and if it was the next guy who needed it instead of us, thats the way it wouldve gone. it is unemployment INSURANCE, after all.
now, that amount rose in 2009 and will this year and will be high next year, although lower, no doubt because there are fewer workers, and those that are unemployed will no longer receive benefits.

this is also an interesting lesson in what people complain about in a federal budget, what our taxes pay for. and where people say "someone" needs to cut programs.
what programs? social security? defense? medicare?
how's your grandmother going to feel about that? your brother with a major disability? that person at church with two kids on medicaid?
we all also pay toward military and civil servant retirements.

every arts, national parks, energy, education, space, post office, the FBI, the CIA, Homeland Security, you name it program that is in there ALL fits in 20% in this example. you could slash every single one of them to 0 and we havent solved our problems. and i think we know that isnt happening.
it isnt as easy as people make it out to be.

you might also quiz someone you know to guess the top 4 or 5 expenses. or the percentages. i have a feeling that the vast majority have no real idea.
ck out what your tax money has gone to here:

What We Pay For

plug in your numbers, look at various years, group by function or organization. the broad groupings on the left are broken down on the right, often on multiple pages.

Last edited by rlincoln; 10-26-2010 at 05:45 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 PM

193 posts, read 258,055 times
ha. I think dealing with the NCESC reps rubbed off on me, that's all.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 AM

20 posts, read 41,039 times
So anyone been to their review yet?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 AM

Good. Moving on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingonline
So anyone been to their review yet?
I know there were a few that had gotten the supplemental questions that still had to attend their reviews. As far as what I've been told, my appt is still cancelled err..."satisfied" so I'm hoping for no surprises next week.

It was pointed out in the other thread that some may have thought I was suggesting a way of "weaseling" their way out of a review by calling the main CS number and telling them you were told the appt was cancelled. I just want to be clear that wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry if people took it like that. That message is strictly for those that got the supplemental questions on the week of their review, as it was becoming obvious that those appts were cancelled and it was hard to get the ESC to confirm it. And that seemed to be the only way for them to confirm it was to phrase it like that. You MUST always keep up with your requirements and keep track. At any point in time, you can be called in for a review.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:08 AM

31 posts, read 38,577 times
Default Same thing happened to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap1 View Post
Does someone know the answer to this ? I applied for EB and was turned down because they said I did not have any money left from yr 1 . I did go thru all my tiers and finished tier 4 a few weeks ago . They said I was not eligible because I had received UI for 13 weeks in the first yr and then went on to my tiers. Doesn't eveyone use up the initial UI 13 weeks in the beginning ?
I was in the same boat and was not able to get EB from first year since from what I was told the dates changed on regular claim to make it look like I was drawing from EB when it was actually Tier 3 & 4.

All this happened during the overpayment issue so left me with no funds to pull from. And who said we would not have to pay back that $28 million!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbb View Post
All this happened during the overpayment issue so left me with no funds to pull from. And who said we would not have to pay back that $28 million!
I'm still waiting to see how they say they will recoup that $28M, and I think we all should pay close attention as well. They've already recouped a bunch of it by taking away our weeks. I don't want to hear them and Bev say one month from now, that they're receiving $28M from another source when they already took our weeks away from us. That would probably put them closer to $50M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or