U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 AM

39 posts, read 66,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Hmmmm......
wow!
Sounds like you just finished a (tier) possibly 3?
Would that sound right to you?
Then it would say exhausted and then let you certify this week and roll you into tier 4(?)
They give you the same supplemental questions while your collecting benefits in the tiers. I know from what others have said that the supplemental questions are different for EB, so apparentally your not into EB yet.
It's really horrible we can't find out what tier we're in on our benefits page.

I know I certified for my last week of tier 4 today., I would've thought I'd get the "You have 2 weeks left" notice, but nope.
I should be in EB starting next week.
I've had it last summer and it showed in my benefits payment history and I recieved a letter also, but so much has changed now.

My guess is that you may be starting tier 4 and that balance they told you included the rest of 3 and now your tier 4.
I'm sure you'll get a letter if you qualify for EB after that.
Like many others have stated on here your Benefits exhausted (may) stay on your claim while you collect EB.
weird, it shows "regular active claim" now

yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 AM

407 posts, read 600,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboss View Post
Ok, thats where i am at. THIS WEEK it just showed benefits exhausted for me.

SAME as you, my claim shows a "lesser year 2 amt" even though what i am getting PAID is the same as year 1.

what i am wondering is, where am i at now that it JUST showed "exhausted" for me? should this go away?

i certified and it said i am going to get paid...and heres what you are waiting for I HAD TO ANSWER THE SUPPLIMENTAL QUESTIONS. BUT, i have to answer these same ones every ~8 weeks ANYWAY... nothing new to me.

by my calculations, i shouldn't have hit week 79 for another 4-5 weeks.
i talked to ESC maybe 3-4 weeks ago and they said "you still have a $5995 balance"

also, i have not gotten ANY letters for Tier 3 OR 4 but i obviously was put into them...

it COULD Be that u r benefits exhausted for whatever tier u were in
BUT have not yet rolled into the next
FOR INSTANCE
one time i ended tier 1 and it said benefits exhausted, but then the next week it was fixed and i filed for the first tier 2 week just fine
BUT u need to call them to find out, b/c if its not automatic, then someone needs to manually fix it

Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 AM

193 posts, read 258,055 times
wow. Breaking News: The N.C. Employment Security Commission identified overpayments of jobless benefits in 2009, earlier than reported.

from WRAL.

this is not good.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 AM

776 posts, read 1,526,811 times
I wonder what that means, or rather, what the scope of that is. I certainly hope I'm not one of those affected...AGAIN.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 AM

656 posts, read 1,023,254 times
Quote:
weird, it shows "regular active claim" now

yay!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 AM

656 posts, read 1,023,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
wow. Breaking News: The N.C. Employment Security Commission identified overpayments of jobless benefits in 2009, earlier than reported.

from WRAL.

this is not good.
Oh GREAT!!!!

Here we go AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 AM

776 posts, read 1,526,811 times
The story:

Quote:
ESC Overpaid Benefits For Longer Than Reported
The state Employment Security Commission paid out too much in jobless benefits to thousands of unemployed people in North Carolina for much longer than previously thought, according to a report released Monday.

Preliminary findings by a team of computer experts from the state budget office say that the overpayments started in 2009 and that former ESC Chairman Moses Carey requested that the U.S. Department of Labor help the agency determine the cause of the problem.

ESC officials previously said a computer programming error led to overpayments to about 38,000 people receiving a second year of benefits. The agency said the mistakes started with checks issued in January and that an internal audit caught the problem in mid-May.

The Labor Department determined last December that the ESC wasn't performing a "requalification requirement" properly, according to the preliminary findings. The agency began working on reprogramming its computers in January and finished the job in May, the report states.

A series of extensions of unemployment benefits passed by Congress each called for further programming changes to ESC computers, according to the findings. The agency also was hampered by its limited number of programmers, a lack of documentation for handling changes to the computer system and the unprecedented volume of benefits requests that the system was receiving from unemployed North Carolinians, the findings state.

The ESC in September started issuing a series of letters to people who had been paid too much in benefits to inform them of the error and to detail how much they might owe. The agency also starting docking weekly benefit checks to recoup an estimated $28 million in overpayments.

Gov. Beverly Perdue last month ordered the agency to stop withholding money from the weekly checks and to repay people who had already lost money because of the moves. She then sent the team of outside IT experts in to resolve the computer problem.

The final report from the team of IT experts is expected in two weeks.

The ESC has started making repayments, but it's unclear how much still needs to be paid. The agency also is working with the Labor Department to determine how to repay the government for the $28 million in overpayments.

The preliminary findings said the agency should have sent one letter to recipients that covered all of the changes and should have explained the situation in understandable terms instead of the technical jargon and acronyms that were used.

The report notes that North Carolina is among four states working together to develop a new system for handling jobless benefits. A consultant's report on the project is due next August, and North Carolina can tap up to $205 million in federal economic stimulus funds to implement a new system.
I suspect the commission, along with the Governor, knew or at least suspected that there were issues in 2009, but they didn't say anything. I can't say that for sure, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying that.

It, at this point, is unknown just how large the scope of this is. Whether this went on for the whole year of 2009...or maybe they just screwed up the claims for the second half of the year??? It's mind-boggling. But bear in mind, the fact that they're making their 09 mistake public, suggests to me that this is not some minor glitch that affected a few hundred or a few thousand claims.

Quote:
The Labor Department determined last December that the ESC wasn't performing a "requalification requirement" properly, according to the preliminary findings.
Some higher ups SHOULD be given the boot over this. I'm not aware of any terminations during the first round of OP's...although Bev did say she would consider it. She can't hide from this now...she must act.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:28 PM

has everyone who is supposed to get their new EPPICARD's got them yet???

Old 11-01-2010, 12:34 PM

193 posts, read 258,055 times
Quote:
has everyone who is supposed to get their new EPPICARD's got them yet???

Yes. Last week.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
Yes. Last week.
ok, i never got it.

I used the link on my online account page to change it to direct deposit.

has anyone changed it to direct deposit via internet? It says it will take 7 days.... so i am wondering how next weeks payment will be made, via eppicard or DD since i changed it today (Monday)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or