U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 PM

776 posts, read 1,526,300 times

Advertisements

Apparently, there is a movement within the House to block Obama's tax, unemployment extension deal, in fact, they're demanding Pelosi not even bring it to debate on the floor. And apparently, it's not over the continued tax cuts to people making over $250K...it's over the estate tax. So, I think the extension is still up in the air. On a side note...I've never understood the estate tax. If I ever find an amazingly good paying job where I work for years and years, paying my share of taxes along the way, and I die and leave $5M with my children...how is it conceivably moral to then come in and take a percentage of the $5M again...taking it away from my children?

I don't know how some people manage to sleep at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:36 PM

193 posts, read 257,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
So do I have this right?
They took weeks from your benefit year to give you the underpayment that you rightfully deserved????? This is Correct!!!!
And now your state is triggered off., According to what the DOL sent them, CA was triggered off. According to CA's website, they don't trigger off til 12/11. I called and informed them of this and I was right, apparently, as I got a check this week.
(I still wonder why on that one, since they have a phenomonal UI rate!) Are you still able to file this week?
I'd call asd ask about that check and the fact that they backlogged your benefit date.....
If they OWED you money (which they did) then why did they take away your weeks after payment.
I know your worn out on calling them, but this really deserves an answer. It's sad. I know why they done it they way they done it. Just to shut me up. I called them everyday for 2 months .. finally, a higher up done it overnight.

If your back in NC and we're triggered on and 2/27 rolls around you may still have had EB to pull from. I wont. I'll be out of benefits by then. I'll be back in NC just out of money to collect..Unless.. they give me those weeks back. Then, lets see.. start 10/24.. 20 weeks.I'd have a week or 2 to collect after my 2 yr ends. .
Let me know what you find out!

Thanks KC!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:50 PM

10 posts, read 15,446 times
My second benefit year expired on 12/04 this year. I was in the middle of Tier 2 EUC when my benefit year expired. I do not qualify for benefits for my third year. I called the ESC RSC on 12/07 to file a new benefit year, and had them pull forward my remaining EUC Tier 2 benefits into my new benefit year.

The rep I spoke to did all of this without issue, and informed me that I was "good to go" and would be able to see my updated claim profile the next business day, and begin filing my weekly certs again on Sunday as usual. She informed me that I wold be receiving the same weekly benefit amount. The only hangup was that it would be going onto my state issued master card; no big deal.

So today, I received 5 (five) letters from the ESC. One was my notice of eligibility for Tier 2 EUC. Another was my notice of being ineligible for regular benefits. Another was the Direct Deposit/Withholdings form, and another gave me information about my state issued card. But the fifth and final letter stated that I was NOT eligible for Tier 2 EUC benefits.

So, I received a letter stating that I AM eligible for Tier 2 EUC, and a letter stating that I am NOT eligible for Tier 2 EUC. My profile shows all 0s for my weekly benefit amount, etc.

Has something changed, and I am no longer able to pull forward my remaining Tier 2 EUC benefits from my previous benefit year? Why did I receive two contradicting notices? Should my profile be showing all 0s? Will it update when I file my weekly certification on Sunday??

I will be calling the Remote Service Center tomorrow, first thing in the AM. If there is any information anyone here can provide, in the meantime, I would appreciate it very much.

I'm hoping this is simply a paperwork error on the part of the ESC. Otherwise, why would they send two letters, both dated 12/07, stating I AM eligible for EUC Tier 2, and one stating that I am NOT eligible for EUC Tier 2.

Sooooooo confused here...

Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 PM

542 posts, read 1,368,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Apparently, there is a movement within the House to block Obama's tax, unemployment extension deal On a side note...I've never understood the estate tax. If I ever find an amazingly good paying job where I work for years and years, paying my share of taxes along the way, and I die and leave $5M with my children...how is it conceivably moral to then come in and take a percentage of the $5M again...taking it away from my children?
Besides being a great source of revenue the estate tax keeps the country safe from the threat of being ruled by a few wealthy families. The divide between the rich and the poor is wide enough with an estate tax in place. Just imagine how much wealth the Rockefeller family would have amassed by now if there wasn't an estate tax.

Mike

Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Besides being a great source of revenue the estate tax keeps the country safe from the threat of being ruled by a few wealthy families. The divide between the rich and the poor is wide enough with an estate tax in place. Just imagine how much wealth the Rockefeller family would have amassed by now if there wasn't an estate tax.

Mike
Yeah, and wasn't Rockefeller's estate taxed like 70%?! No wonder it's a great source of revenue. But I'm not talking about the billionaires...I'm talking about a $5M estate (I think a min of $3.5M at 45% was the 2009 standard). If I'm paying my share in taxes to the government my entire life...they shouldn't be shoving my kids out of the way to hold their hand out and gunning for around 45% of my estate. Just my firm belief.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowas View Post
Has something changed, and I am no longer able to pull forward my remaining Tier 2 EUC benefits from my previous benefit year? Why did I receive two contradicting notices? Should my profile be showing all 0s? Will it update when I file my weekly certification on Sunday??
I once got a letter saying I was approved for Tier 4 benefits, then one saying I was not approved for Tier 4 benefits....all when I was receiving Tier 1 benefits. Yeah, try and figure that one out...I still haven't and neither has the NCESC.

In short, this is the ESC we're talking about...there doesn't seem to be any solid, foolproof protocol that they follow.

Bottom line though, you should be entitled to whatever benefits you have not used up, no matter what year you're in and as long as you continue to look for work. So, there shouldn't be any problems with them opening a claim so you can get your benefits. But since this is the ESC we're talking about...you'll either get one rep that says you are not eligible to get those benefits, one that says you instead owe thousands in overpayments, one that says you are set up to draw those benefits, and another that is hungry and wants to hit up the Wendy's before the lunch rush....just make sure you get the rep that can set you up. Shouldn't be too hard.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM

656 posts, read 1,022,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowas View Post
My second benefit year expired on 12/04 this year. I was in the middle of Tier 2 EUC when my benefit year expired. I do not qualify for benefits for my third year. I called the ESC RSC on 12/07 to file a new benefit year, and had them pull forward my remaining EUC Tier 2 benefits into my new benefit year.

The rep I spoke to did all of this without issue, and informed me that I was "good to go" and would be able to see my updated claim profile the next business day, and begin filing my weekly certs again on Sunday as usual. She informed me that I wold be receiving the same weekly benefit amount. The only hangup was that it would be going onto my state issued master card; no big deal.

So today, I received 5 (five) letters from the ESC. One was my notice of eligibility for Tier 2 EUC. Another was my notice of being ineligible for regular benefits. Another was the Direct Deposit/Withholdings form, and another gave me information about my state issued card. But the fifth and final letter stated that I was NOT eligible for Tier 2 EUC benefits.

So, I received a letter stating that I AM eligible for Tier 2 EUC, and a letter stating that I am NOT eligible for Tier 2 EUC. My profile shows all 0s for my weekly benefit amount, etc.

I will be calling the Remote Service Center tomorrow, first thing in the AM. If there is any information anyone here can provide, in the meantime, I would appreciate it very much.

I'm hoping this is simply a paperwork error on the part of the ESC. Otherwise, why would they send two letters, both dated 12/07, stating I AM eligible for EUC Tier 2, and one stating that I am NOT eligible for EUC Tier 2.

Sooooooo confused here...

This is new territory for me.
I know there are many of us that post here that will be in your situation in the upcoming weeks with our 2nd year ending and having some benefits leftover.
I'm not sure if anyone as ever posted here on this thread that has been able to pull fowrard leftover benefits into a new 3rd year.
However our esc rep Jdljr that previously posted here for a long time ago., did make mention that you could be able to do this.
Things have changed so much with the senate vote and rules seem to change daily at the esc.
Your best bet is to call and find out what's going on with that contradictory letter stating your inability to collect tier 2 in a 3rd year. Please post an update here when you get some info.
This will help many of us and also allow us to answer questions to other posters as they come upon this same situation.

Goodluck and "Thanks"
(KC)

Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 PM

572 posts, read 1,408,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post

Mike
The United States is a republic with the power split among 50 states and three branches of federal government. I think we're safe from the "wealthy family rulers". lol. Money will get you some political influence but it won't make you king.

The estate tax is a revenue vehicle for the federal government. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Guess I found out tomorrow if I get those supplemental questions or not. And if I do...I'll have to give them a call to confirm again. Sigh...

Old 12-11-2010, 09:49 PM

656 posts, read 1,022,768 times
[quote=OpAck;16973986]Guess I found out tomorrow if I get those supplemental questions or not. And if I do...I'll have to give them a call to confirm again. Sigh...[/quote
It's their little game with the little hoop to jump though....ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or