U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,089,669 times
Reputation: 282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsmith2 View Post
Also forgot to put this in. If you have to go in for another year does the amount paid to you change, if so how much? Lastly, I think , is there a better number to call for info or should I head down to my UE office?

Thanks!
When your benefit year ends, you have to attempt a new benefit year to continue to draw benefits. Some people may qualify for a new, regular UI claim, others will not. It all depends on what wages are in your base period. If you don't qualify for a new, regular UI claim, then they normally bring forward any unused extension money from your old benefit year for you to draw out.

If you do qualify for a new, regular UI claim, your weekly benefit amount depends on what's in your base period. The weekly benefit amount is calculated by taking the high quarter of wages in your base period and dividing that number by 26. Might be lower than your previous weekly benefit amount, might be higher. It's all legislated with no exceptions, so if it's lower, or even MUCH lower, there is no appealing it. It is what it is.

I would make a trip to the local office if you could. Personalized service and if you file a new benefit year with them, THEY own your claim. Otherwise, Raleigh owns your claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
 
14 posts, read 32,759 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
When your benefit year ends, you have to attempt a new benefit year to continue to draw benefits. Some people may qualify for a new, regular UI claim, others will not. It all depends on what wages are in your base period. If you don't qualify for a new, regular UI claim, then they normally bring forward any unused extension money from your old benefit year for you to draw out.

If you do qualify for a new, regular UI claim, your weekly benefit amount depends on what's in your base period. The weekly benefit amount is calculated by taking the high quarter of wages in your base period and dividing that number by 26. Might be lower than your previous weekly benefit amount, might be higher. It's all legislated with no exceptions, so if it's lower, or even MUCH lower, there is no appealing it. It is what it is.

I would make a trip to the local office if you could. Personalized service and if you file a new benefit year with them, THEY own your claim. Otherwise, Raleigh owns your claim.

Thanks for answering!

I will hit up my office 2/1 first thing in the morning!

I'm worried about not qualifying and trying to figure out with the wife what to do. I haven't worked once since 1/2009, so i don't understand how I can qualify without having a base period. Would they base it off when I did work in 2008? Is there any way to find out beforehand what I might qualify for, if anything?

I do appreciate all the help you've given me and other folks JDL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,089,669 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsmith2 View Post
Thanks for answering!

I will hit up my office 2/1 first thing in the morning!

I'm worried about not qualifying and trying to figure out with the wife what to do. I haven't worked once since 1/2009, so i don't understand how I can qualify without having a base period. Would they base it off when I did work in 2008? Is there any way to find out beforehand what I might qualify for, if anything?

I do appreciate all the help you've given me and other folks JDL.
In February, the base period will still be 4Q2008, 1Q2009, 2Q2009 and 3Q2009. If you have at least $4,550 spanning at least two of those quarters, then you would qualify for a new, regular UI claim. Without at least $4,550 spanning at least two of those quarters, you will not qualify for a new, regular UI claim. If that's the case, then you would still need to set up a new benefit year and they would bring forward any unused extension money from your previous benefit year for you to draw out.

You can contact your local ESC office by phone and ask them to tell you what wages they show for you in the base wage file (W6 screen). This will tell you right up front, right now, what will happen in February when you file a new benefit year. If, when they give you the wage information, you don't feel it's accurate you can request a wage protest from ESC and they will contact your former employer and ask them to make sure they reported the right wages. Most of the time, though, unless it's a glaring discrepancy, the wages reported are correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 PM
 
Location: NC
2 posts, read 4,247 times
Reputation: 10
Question for jdljr: On 1/4 a super was supose to key in 5 weeks back to 11/14,still no results. I have used up all tiers and eb as of 11/4. i haven't worked since nov 07. I think they did pull monies left over and gave me a new year end of 4/19/2010.I have recieved my letter stating i looked like i was eligible for tier III. ANY CLUE AS WHY IT'S TAKING SO LONG??????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,089,669 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFL2010 View Post
Question for jdljr: On 1/4 a super was supose to key in 5 weeks back to 11/14,still no results. I have used up all tiers and eb as of 11/4. i haven't worked since nov 07. I think they did pull monies left over and gave me a new year end of 4/19/2010.I have recieved my letter stating i looked like i was eligible for tier III. ANY CLUE AS WHY IT'S TAKING SO LONG??????????????
Did you do this through the local office or by phone? If through the local office, you need to contact them and ask them to look at your claim. If they keyed in the weeks but they errored and they have not checked the claim, then they would not know that something is wrong with the claim.

If you did it by phone, contact the number again and ask.

In April of 2009 when they opened a new benefit year for you, did you have direct deposit or a debit card? If a debit card, the payment should go directly to that card you already have.

Have you started doing your weekly certifications? If the super was keying 5 back weeks, that would be the weeks ending 11/14, 11/21, 11/28, 12/5 and 12/12. That would leave the weeks ending 12/19, 12/26, 1/2 and 1/9 currently available for you to certify. It's up to you to do your weekly certifications beyond the weeks that the super was going to key to generate your payments.

For Tier 3 claims that I've taken, I've created the paperwork to have my Manager key ALL the back weeks, not just to the point that the claimant can do it themselves. My Manager usually does it that day and then I check the claim the following day to make sure none of the weeks errored. If they did, I fix the errors right then and the payments should generate that night. Not everyone does it that way though, evidently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM
 
7 posts, read 19,599 times
Reputation: 11
I started my second claim year at the end of Oct 09 and qualified for 14weeks of benefits at my prior years weekly rate. I also passed the quarters earnings test for extentions for the second year [total earnings in the 4Qtrs was >1.5x highest quarter]. Assuming that I'm still unemployed at the end of my 14week benefit which ends at the end of Jan 2010 - what extension will I progress into - start all over with EUC08 tier 1 because of a new claim year or move into tier 3? It seems a little unclear how the extenstions are applied to claim year two if a new claim is established. At this moment I would say that it is very probable that I will be working in February but I would like know what would lie a head if I fail to land the job. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,089,669 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvitek View Post
I started my second claim year at the end of Oct 09 and qualified for 14weeks of benefits at my prior years weekly rate. I also passed the quarters earnings test for extentions for the second year [total earnings in the 4Qtrs was >1.5x highest quarter]. Assuming that I'm still unemployed at the end of my 14week benefit which ends at the end of Jan 2010 - what extension will I progress into - start all over with EUC08 tier 1 because of a new claim year or move into tier 3? It seems a little unclear how the extenstions are applied to claim year two if a new claim is established. At this moment I would say that it is very probable that I will be working in February but I would like know what would lie a head if I fail to land the job. Thanks in advance.
I believe that you should start over with Tier 1 EUC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 AM
 
Location: NC
776 posts, read 1,493,464 times
Reputation: 327
Wow...absolutely no issues having the benefit year extended...

I filed online for my new benefit year on Monday, and I received my direct deposit/tax form yesterday (Wednesday). But that's all I had gotten...so I went into my account online, and sure enough my benefit year was automatically extended to 1/8/11 and I've got funds to continue drawing. I'll assume that I was denied a new regular claim (I only had income in Q408 totaling somewhere over $7K and I was laid off during week 2 of Q109). So, I guess I pick up where I left off...in the middle or so of Tier II.

Now, when I had questions back over the summer, I had only heard about Tiers I (20 weeks for me) and II (13 weeks), then EB (I'm guessing 20). Now I hear Tiers I thru IV and EB. I thought that, if I qualified for Tiers I and II and have no prior issues on my account, I should qualify for EB (20 weeks)when I exhaust Tier II in March. Then I guess Tier III and maybe IV follows after that? Worst case, and I still don't have work, would I qualify for III and IV if I got I, II, and EB and no prior issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
 
9 posts, read 17,750 times
Reputation: 10
My husband got his backpay for tier 3. He was only able to get paid for 8 weeks and his tier 3 is now exhausted. He won't get anymore bennifits till tier 4. Has anyone heard when it takes effect,also how do u know how many weeks u can actually draw on tier 4. We thought tier 3 was 13 weeks, but he got 8 weeks and no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2010, 01:28 PM
 
Location: NC
776 posts, read 1,493,464 times
Reputation: 327
I hate posting back to back like this, but I just got a Wage/Monetary Determination sheet from NCESC. Now I'm confused. I think I was approved for a new benefit year.

It says I had wages in Q408 and Q109 totaling $11,313. It then states that I now have 13 weeks of benefits at the same weekly amount as previous. Soooooo...I guess I am no longer in the middle of Tier II and I'm back on regular unemployment for 13 weeks? But more importantly, these 13 weeks would wrap up in mid-April (in Q210), therefore, I guess I don't qualify for any EUB after that since I thought I needed income in two of the previous 5 quarters (Q109/Q209/Q309/Q409/Q110) in order to shift to Tier I. Would there be anything I can do after these 13 weeks or will I have completely exhausted my benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top