Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 06:35 PM

108 posts, read 160,627 times

Advertisements

Hello Grace24. You should get your money as you have before as the money you get on Monday will be for last week. Did it not let you finish filing your weekly certification? Or did the message you mention come up after you finished certifying? You say your benefit year ended Jan 29. Is this your first benefit year? If so you need to go into the office Monday (or call, but it is better to go in) and file for your second benefit year. Depending on your situation you will either qualify for a 2nd benefit year or if not you will get an extension of your 1st year and they will pull forward all the tiers and EB you had left from year one. If you have not worked at all or very little during the last year then you will probably be looking at a pull forward situation. If you have worked and earned money during your first benefit year then depending on how much you earned will decide whether or not you qualify for a 2nd benefit year. If you qualify for a 2nd year then you will have to wait one week until your next check. If you do not qualify for a new year and get a pull forward then you will not have to wait a week until your next check. But you will need to go in to the office Monday either way, and then follow up a few days later to make sure it goes thru either way, especially if it is a pull forward...make sure they don't drop the ball and it gets done this week so you can continue to get your checks without having to miss a week.

You should get your check this week as long as it let you certify (and I don't know why it wouldn't have). But you have to file for a 2nd benefit year in order to continue getting benefits (go in Monday), and you will be put into one of the two scenarios above. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 PM

22 posts, read 68,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post
Hello Grace24. You should get your money as you have before as the money you get on Monday will be for last week. Did it not let you finish filing your weekly certification? Or did the message you mention come up after you finished certifying?
Hi Sacflies, I did filed today which is Sunday at afternoon, however, after I click submit, the message popped up. Below the right is the cancel button which I didn't click. I just click "x" and exited out the page. So I don't know if it went through or not?

Quote:
You say your benefit year ended Jan 29. Is this your first benefit year? If so you need to go into the office Monday (or call, but it is better to go in) and file for your second benefit year. Depending on your situation you will either qualify for a 2nd benefit year or if not you will get an extension of your 1st year and they will pull forward all the tiers and EB you had left from year one.
During the process, I'm on my second tier since the end of December 2010 when congress passed law, and I still have somewhere around 9 more weeks left. But yes, my first year ended on Jan 29. So maybe I will continue using my tier2, and hopefully I won't have to wait a week or two?

Quote:
If you have not worked at all or very little during the last year then you will probably be looking at a pull forward situation. If you have worked and earned money during your first benefit year then depending on how much you earned will decide whether or not you qualify for a 2nd benefit year. If you qualify for a 2nd year then you will have to wait one week until your next check.
I did not do any work last year. I'm using my T2 right now and it hasn't over yet, so if I qualify for my 2nd year benefit does that mean I still get 1 week hold? Or do you mean that the 1 week holding is only regarding if I work during the last year?

Quote:
If you do not qualify for a new year and get a pull forward then you will not have to wait a week until your next check. But you will need to go in to the office Monday either way, and then follow up a few days later to make sure it goes thru either way, especially if it is a pull forward...make sure they don't drop the ball and it gets done this week so you can continue to get your checks without having to miss a week.
Well, I hope I will qualify for my second year because like I said I'm already on my T2 and it hasn't ended yet. The problem is I'm hoping I don't have to wait 1 week or 2, and my weekly certification go through today (Sunday.)

Quote:
You should get your check this week as long as it let you certify (and I don't know why it wouldn't have). But you have to file for a 2nd benefit year in order to continue getting benefits (go in Monday), and you will be put into one of the two scenarios above. Good luck!
Oh OK. Thanks a lot, I'll go in tomorrow than. So either way I still have to file again in order to qualify for my second year.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 AM

Since you didn't work and earn any $$$ during your 1st benefit year you will not qualify for a 2nd benefit year. But this is not really a bad thing. Actually for you it is probably a good thing since you shouldn't miss any weeks. You will get an extension and a "pull forward" of all the weeks you had remaining from your 1st year. This is sometimes referred to as a "dummy" year. So if you were in Tier 2 when your 1st benefit year ended you will continue right on with Tier 2 and you shouldn't have to wait a week for your next check. BUT MAKE SURE YOU GO IN MONDAY AND FILE FOR A 2ND BENEFIT YEAR. And then maybe on Thursday go back and follow up with them to make sure they have sent your info thru. That way you shouldn't miss any weeks. And you should be able to file as usual next Sunday and get your check as usual next Monday. It is only if you DO qualify for a 2nd year that you would have a waiting week. But, again, since you didn't work and earn any money during your 1st benefit year you will get the "dummy" year and should not miss any weeks.

Don't know your case but it sounds like you had the full 26 weeks of UI, then 20 weeks of Tier 1, and then you had used say four weeks of Tier 2 to get you thru the end of your 1st benefit year (Tier 2 being 13 or 14 weeks). If you qualify for EB (20 weeks, as long as the NC unemployment rate stays at 8.5% or higher)...then you should have around 48 weeks left to "pull forward" in your 2nd year, which in your case will be the "dummy" year. So 9 weeks left in Tier 2, 13 weeks Tier 3, 6 weeks Tier 4, and (if you qualify for EB AND the NC unemployment rate stays at 8.5% or above) 20 weeks EB = 48 weeks. If you don't qualify for EB for some reason then you should at least have 28 weeks left to pull forward.

Just looking at it with what little I know of your situation that is how it looks to me. But not all cases are the same, so there is no guarantee this is how it will play out for you. I know it all sounds pretty complicated, but this is my best estimate of how your situation looks.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 PM

23 posts, read 35,927 times
What happens after Tier 4?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,831 times
I am going to exhaust my 26 weeks of regular benefits in 3 weeks. I understand that to receive tier 1 benefits I am to keep filing my weekly certifications but will I receive anything notifying me if I am eligible for this or not? I asked a rep in Raleigh and was told I may or I may not be getting a letter stating my eligibility. Seems like there is some way they could tell me what my status is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:04 PM

Yeah you should just keep filing as usual and you should move right into tier 1, which will be 20 weeks (80% of regular UI) since you qualified for the full 26 weeks of UI. You may be asked 3 additional questions when you certify (I think this happens when you move into a new tier) and you should receive a letter concerning this. If you certify online you can do it all there as usual. I am not sure if you will get a letter stating you qualify for tier 1 but as long as your certification goes thru as normal after your UI is up in three weeks then you are good. If you qualified for 26 weeks of regular UI then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't qualify for all the tiers as well. I only remember getting a letter that I qualified for tier 2 as I moved into that. Don't remember getting a letter saying I qualified for tier 1. I just moved right into it after my regular UI.

You will learn that it is very hard to get info out of the ESC. And you will hear different things from different reps. This is a monster thread but it is full of great info that can help you understand it all. So I would suggest reading thru much of this if you want to understand it all better. Especially the sections when jdjr was posting here. He works(ed) for the ESC and was a HUGE help to many of us on unemployment benefits over the last year or so. But he stopped posting back in the late summer but he pretty much answered every question you could think of while he was around.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 PM

22 posts, read 50,253 times
I got a notice in the mail telling me I'm to attend a meeting on the 2nd for the Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment Program. It say's to bring my work search record with me and all and I've been keeping track of it on my Netbook so I'm wondering if they will say anything about me bringing it in printed or if I need to do something else? I live quite a way's away from the office so I wasn't able to make the weekly trip to get the papers. I also would like to know what I can expect from this meeting. It sound's like I'm just going to fill out paper work and that's going to be it.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekken3000 View Post
What happens after Tier 4?
If you qualify for EB (Extended Benefits) you will move into that after Tier 4. It depends on your case if you qualify for EB (if you had any disqualifications or not when you filed, etc). The number of weeks of EB depends on how many weeks of regular UI you qualified for. For example if you qualified for the full 26 weeks of UI, then tier 1 would have been 80% of that, or 20 weeks, and so on. In that case you would get 20 weeks of EB (also 80% of your regular UI amount) IF you qualifiy for it AND as long as the NC unemployment rate stays at or above 8.5%.

Your best bet is to TRY and get an answer from someone at the ESC whether or not you would qualify for EB.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 12,831 times
Thanks sacflies for the help. It is not easy to get an answer out of esc sometimes.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM

83 posts, read 265,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
Update.

and this is for you KC.

The rep I spoke to today on the phone.. yeah I took a few weeks break on the calling them on my issue. I was about to go insane. Anyhow, the rep I spoke to today said that I have one more week left to claim. I began to file March 14th of 2009. She said "count the weeks... you are 99'er. You cannot claim more than 99 weeks." SO. Regardless, if I hadn't been paid my underpayment, I wonder if they would have continued to pay me? Because if they didn't pay me the underpayment, I would still have 6 weeks worth of money in my claim.

The rep, for once, did sound very knowledgeable. The only reason I doubt her is because of the 100 other reps I have spoken to that are clueless.
You and I basically started right around the same time, although I was advised by a local rep that the whole 99 week thing is more for mainstream media, and it's hype. I was told to disregard it, and I'll get my full 20 weeks EB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina