U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 03:44 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,978,664 times

Advertisements

so... (forgive me for sounding stupid)

do those who have used up their 99 weeks - are they still eligible for more? i have a friend who says they cant get it anymore (used all 99 weeks), but sometimes i hear things like this that make me think maybe he can get it for a little longer???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM

776 posts, read 1,523,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post

do those who have used up their 99 weeks - are they still eligible for more? i have a friend who says they cant get it anymore (used all 99 weeks), but sometimes i hear things like this that make me think maybe he can get it for a little longer???
99 weeks of benefits is the max. The only thing I could say is that there may be a few of the NC unemployed who had their claims so screwed up (due to the overpayment debacle and other general mishaps from the agency) that they somehow made out with over 99 weeks of benefits. But it's probably very rare. I know it screwed up my claim, but I worked out to somewhere between 98-101 weeks.

But yeah, 99 weeks is the max for all states that have EB triggered, like NC.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,360 times
When I filed my certification on Sunday it said, you have two weeks or less on your benefits. Today when I went to pay my house payment, to my confusion, my card read error IF. I checked my card and I had only received half of the amount that I had been getting. Does anyone know why this would have happened?? I have searched all over the internet and was on hold all day, with no avail. I did email ncesc. This seems like a nice and open forum, I would appreciate any comments you might have.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manifestlife View Post
When I filed my certification on Sunday it said, you have two weeks or less on your benefits. Today when I went to pay my house payment, to my confusion, my card read error IF. I checked my card and I had only received half of the amount that I had been getting. Does anyone know why this would have happened?? I have searched all over the internet and was on hold all day, with no avail. I did email ncesc. This seems like a nice and open forum, I would appreciate any comments you might have.
Yeah, you're best bet may be to hang in there over the phone and talk to someone with eyes on your claim.

It almost sounds to me like your final week didn't have the full benefit amount, and so they just gave you whatever was left. I know that has happened to some people. Depending on where you are, you'll just roll into the next tier/program at the full amount (unless you're at the end).

You will likely need to speak with someone down there if u want to find out why you didn't get the full amount this week though...and even find out where to go from here.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,360 times
Im in NC and on T2, I worked January of last year, then was laid off. I still haven't heard from the ESC as to what is happening and can't get someone to call me back yet. I hope that I'm not at the end, I haven't received any information from them. Do you know if I just keep filing like I did from T1 to T2? Thank you for your help!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 PM

656 posts, read 1,020,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post

If they still have funds on their claim at 99 weeks, then yes they can go over.
I was at 104 weeks when I went back to work with 7 weeks of EB left on my claim when I became employed.
ESC had told me that if I opened a new 3rd year I could pullforward those 7 weeks of EB.
I think I'm a rare case, I was underpayed on a 2nd year that should've never been setup.
In the end this more than likely kept my benefits going on for the over 99 week mark
However I'm more than happy that I'm finally back to work.
Your friend needs to call esc and see what's left on their claim

Last edited by KC~Carolina; 02-08-2011 at 07:44 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manifestlife View Post
Im in NC and on T2, I worked January of last year, then was laid off. I still haven't heard from the ESC as to what is happening and can't get someone to call me back yet. I hope that I'm not at the end, I haven't received any information from them. Do you know if I just keep filing like I did from T1 to T2? Thank you for your help!
If you claimed your income while you collected benefits last year then you extended the duration of your unemployment benefits.
You didn't say if you were in your first or 2nd benefit year.
However just keep filing until you get an online message that your year is up .
When your benefit year is up, you'll need to file for another benefit year .
If you don't have enough qualifying wages in the correct quarters to setup a new benefit year they'll pullforward your remaining benefits.

If you ended at tier 2, you'd start up right there and then go into tier 3, then 4 then up to 20 weeks of EB.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
99 weeks of benefits is the max. The only thing I could say is that there may be a few of the NC unemployed who had their claims so screwed up (due to the overpayment debacle and other general mishaps from the agency) that they somehow made out with over 99 weeks of benefits. But it's probably very rare. I know it screwed up my claim, but I worked out to somewhere between 98-101 weeks.

But yeah, 99 weeks is the max for all states that have EB triggered, like NC.
Hey there mister!
Did you ever find employment ?
Hope you and the family are all doing well!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
If you claimed your income while you collected benefits last year then you extended the duration of your unemployment benefits.
You didn't say if you were in your first or 2nd benefit year.
However just keep filing until you get an online message that your year is up .
When your benefit year is up, you'll need to file for another benefit year .
If you don't have enough qualifying wages in the correct quarters to setup a new benefit year they'll pullforward your remaining benefits.

If you ended at tier 2, you'd start up right there and then go into tier 3, then 4 then up to 20 weeks of EB.
But yeah, keep filing. If you're benefit year ends, immediately file a new claim because it will take a few weeks to start drawing benefits. If you don't qualify for a new year, you'll be able to pull forward whatever benefits you have left from the previous year. If you were in Tier 2...I'd be pretty confident that you'll get Tier 3 and 4...and possibly EB after that.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Hey there mister!
Did you ever find employment ?
Hope you and the family are all doing well!
Hey! Well, I'm now a Senior Technical Consultant in a company with my Dad and my brother. I'm also the Vice President and I own a 33% stake in the company. Sounds pretty neat, huh? Well, it means jack squat when the company still doesn't have any clients and therefore has no money coming in quite yet. But we're working on it. Alot of the work being done right now is just trying to get this whole thing set up and started. I'd tell any of you hopeless unemployed to be an entrepreneur and start your own business, but I can't believe how much goes into it. And this technically isn't even a new company, per se...we've just branched off of my Dad's 25 year old NJ company. I'm learning alot about VoIP and telecommunications though. I haven't exactly gotten paid yet though...that's also a work in progress.

Oh, and while attempting to send faxes out and call potential customers, I'm still a full time stay at home Dad to my two boys, while my wife continues to (thankfully) have a solid position at the bank. So, with all of that on my plate, I get about 4 hours of sleep at night...yuck.

But ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I gotta make this work or I'm screeeeewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or