U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 AM

776 posts, read 1,525,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwsjr View Post
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me understand unemployment benefits. I have been on Unemployment since the end of Dec. 2010. I started and went through my benefit year on EUC Tier 1, 2, 3, 4. I am now on EB and was told that I have 12 weeks and my benefits are exhausted completely. I have read and heard of some being able to collect unemployment for up to 99 weeks. A friend of mine has been on it for 2 years and still collecting. Just having a rough time trying to find work. I only have 5 weeks according to ESC left. How does the Federal extensions work, for example the one Obama just passed the end of last year, Dec. 2010.
No matter what, it's a max of 99 weeks for everyone. The only way it could really go over 99 weeks, is if you find temp employment here and there during those two years. But it still adds up to a max of 99 weeks.

Basically, the way it works is this...under normal economic circumstances, you're eligible for up to 26 weeks of regular UI. Some states (thankfully NC, but not all) have the Extended Benefits program, where if the unemployment rate goes over a certain percentage, all claimants could qualify for an additional 20 weeks of benefits. If NC's state unemployment rate goes below a certain percentage (I think it's 7% or 8%, I'm not sure), EB is essentially turned off and you can no longer collect (or new claimants attempting to roll into EB will be unable to do so). EB is the only program where you will be required to attend mandatory eligibility review appointments or they'll ask you a few questions online which satisfy the requirement.

So, in essence, in NC...as long at the rate is over say, 7%...you may entitled to as much as 46 weeks of benefits.

But since 2008, we've had the federal EUC program, which is set up on 4 Tiers and totals 53 additional weeks of benefits. It's a federal program, meaning Congress and the President provides the legislation to continue EUC and they figure out how much/how long the program will run. In December, an extension of one year was passed. What that means is, claimants can continue to draw up to 99 weeks of benefits through 2011.

There is this misconception that people have in thinking, since an extension was passed, ALL claimants will be able to continue drawing benefits for another year. But that's just not true. The extension is only good for those claimants who have not drawn their full 53 weeks of EUC and it allows new claimants to start drawing from those 4 Tiers of EUC. Once you exhaust those 53 weeks of EUC...that's it.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 PM

81 posts, read 156,374 times
UPDATE:

The Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2011 has been sent to the Ways and Means Committee.
The Bill is now titled HR589.
You can out more about it, and how to help support this bill here:
99ers Alert – HR 589 Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2011 is Introduced to Ways and Means Committee | _

Please call or email the Ways and Means members.

Here is more information with more contact links:
The American 99ers Union - A Coalition Of 99er Advocate Groups

Remember this affects us ALL, it is certainly to help the 99er's that are still out of work (myself included), but it also will extend everyone's Tier 1 by 14 weeks. It is retroactive, so even if you have moved out of Tier 1, you will still get the additional weeks, if you need them.

The only chance this bill will pass is to fight for it. Flood the people that can make this happen with emails and phone calls to let them know how importaint this is to our livelihood. Even if you just began UI, do your part. You may find you need this down the road and if everyone doesn't help to get it passed, if may not be there for you. It is very rough to not have any income at all, I speak from experience. I search and search as I havew been doing, but jobs are just not out there and those that are are flooded with applicates. Jobs are NOT growing as fast as promised and no one can really say for sure how much longer it might be before there is a swing in the job market.

This extension will help a lot of people that are currently suffering. This extension may help you. Don't think 'I know I can get a job before my benefits run out'. We all thought that. It isn't as easy as it seems. You know, you have been searching. So take a little bit of time and contact those representatives!
Don't think, 'well my voice isn't going to matter', it does matter.
Please ask friends and family to help support this bill.

Thank you and God Bless everyone one.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM

81 posts, read 156,374 times
Please pardon my typos in the above post. I was running late for an online race (a hobby of mine) and my fingers couldn't keep up with my typing, lol.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM

83 posts, read 246,014 times
My weekly EB amount was in my account this morning. Typically, when I certify on Sunday, it's deposited on a Tues. Did this happen to anyone else? Wonder why... Wonder if the system's been "changed" or "upgraded," or if it's a one-time thing.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:35 PM

33 posts, read 41,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoletteW View Post
My weekly EB amount was in my account this morning. Typically, when I certify on Sunday, it's deposited on a Tues. Did this happen to anyone else? Wonder why... Wonder if the system's been "changed" or "upgraded," or if it's a one-time thing.

Yep mine is there too and I usually get mine on tuesday too

Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,944 times
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me....I was terminated within my first 90 days. Actually I was there for 62 days. They got a recruiter to call me at home on my day off to say that I wasn't a good fit. The employer didn't even have the guts to call me. I wasn't given a good reason other than it just wasn't working out. Two days prior to this I had an evaluation and was told I was doing fine. I wasn't given any warning, no verbals, nothing written other than my eval and that had nothing negative in it. I have applied for benefits and the employer has turned in the requested paperwork. I don't know what their response was though. When I called today ESC said that my claim had not been sent to an adjuticator yet. Prior to this job I was working for 7 years at my old job. I thought I had left for a better job but I was wrong. I was very surprised to be terminated from this position. Will I be approved and if so how long before I see a check?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 PM

11 posts, read 28,917 times
I have not posted on here in over a year. But back when I posted before, "jdljr" was so kind to answer most of our questions, and I know that everything told to me by "jdljr" ended up being correct, and I so appreciated the answers and the help. I don't know if jdljr is still on here, but I hope so. But for anyone who can answer my questions (and I hope someone can)...here goes!

This is a question for a good friend of mine who became unemployed last year and started drawing unemployment benefits in October 2010. My friend is worried about how to handle a particular situation that is coming up later this year, so she asked me to bring her question to this website and see what I can find out.

I will refer to my friend from here on out as "M". "M" will be 60 years old later this year. "M" lost her job from a company where she had worked for 25 years (the company closed in 2010). Prior to working for this company, "M" worked for about 9 years as a Teacher Assistant in the local school system. "M" left her retirement with the State of N.C. and when she turns 60, she can apply to start drawing her retirement, as well as she will have her health insurance paid by the State of NC. (Back she "M" was employed, a person was only required to work for the State of N.C. for five years to receive the insurance benefit--now it is 20 years)!

I have given you the background, but now here's the question. When doing the weekly certification, one of the questions asked is: Did you begin receiving or change a retirement pension during the week? When "M" starts drawing her monthly retirement check from the state of N.C., she assumes that she must answer "YES" to this question...is that correct? Also, is this going to affect her unemployment? Specifically, is this going to stop her from drawing any more unemployment benefits?

One more thing I should add is that "M"' estimates that her monthly retirement check will be somewhere around $350 to $400/month (possibly less). This was many years ago that she worked for the State and her pay was very low as a teacher assistant...plus the fact that she only worked for the State for 9 years.

Would "M" be better off not to even apply for her retirement benefits yet (so as not to cause a problem with her unemployment compensation)? The main reason is considering applying now is that she would like to start receiving the health insurance benefit because she is now paying VERY high COBRA premiums each month.

Any help will be appreciated from anyone knowledgeable about this particular issue. Thanks so much!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:07 PM

46 posts, read 63,440 times
I knew that my time was running short with benefits so I called this morning. I was told that I'm done, thats it...not to even bother filing this week. WHAT?? No notice? No popup when I do my weekly cert saying I'm down to 2 weeks?? He said "well, sometimes it tells you and sometimes it doesn't"
What is that? Imagine we said "well, sometimes I look for work and sometimes I don't"??
I have been frantic today looking for any job of any kind. I am hoping on a prospect phone call tomorrow where I could get an interview. I'm praying. This is awful. I feel like I'm being thrown to the wolves.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 PM

55 posts, read 59,177 times
did anyone get paid from eppi today?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 11,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettoize View Post
did anyone get paid from eppi today?
I haven't received mine from eppi yet either. I check the NCESC site and it says it was processed yesterday and it gave me the amount paid. Let me know if you get yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or