U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 PM

264 posts, read 329,316 times

Advertisements

Cemmy, as it currently stands without EB, maximum number of weeks is 79. If EB trigger update passes, it might increase maximum number of weeks to 99. The only exception to these maximum weeks is if, say, one currently has a part-time job and is therefore not drawing the full weekly amount of benefits. By drawing a lesser amount per week, it would stretch out to give you more weeks of benefits available.

All the Year 2 status means is that you've passed the anniversary date of when you first filed for unemployment benefits. Since EB is only available after you've gone through up to 26 weeks of regular benefits, and up to 53 weeks of EUC benefits, most people on EB benefits are on their Year 2 (or even Year 3 if they had some part-time wages in there that stretched out their benefits).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 13,582 times
I have worked part time since I lost my teaching job (waitressing and substitute teaching). I of course always claim these wages, so when my 79 weeks come up in July, I am done, or maybe get one check with a dump-over amount?
For me this is especially hard because even if I get a teaching job for the fall, I will go without any income for all of July and August.
I have remained ignorant on all of this for a year because it caused me such much anxiety I just couldn't face it. Every week when I file online I get sick to the point of almost throwing up in waiting for a message that my benefits were done.
I honestly just need benefits through the summer. After that I guess at 42 I will move home with my elderly mom so I won't be homeless. I am just glad I have that option. Though not thrilled with having to actually do it.
Really crap time to be anyone looking for a job- even worse for a teacher in a state ruled by Bev Perdue.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 PM

86 posts, read 141,383 times
Default Larry Browns response to me.

"This is out of our control. I understand there are some jobs being advertised at Lowe's Home & Garden,Walgreens,Rite Aid, for a few. Also, do you have health insurance? If not I can get you a card that discounts certain medicines. Larry"

I guess we know how he will vote. I also like how he only read half of my email and told me I should apply to Lowes.

Half way in my email I actually said that I had an interview with lowes.

But enough about the negative.
Anyone knows when they will actually look at the bill and vote? Hopefully before the 16th.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 PM

187 posts, read 235,212 times
LanahB, I understand how you feel after receiving that repuking message from this "character." I will be following tomorrow's house session starting at 11:00 a.m. The bill is scheduled to be announced tomorrow, and you can see this information on the North Carolina General Assembly Home Page, as well as to listen to the session. It really urks me when instead of actually creating "SENSIBLE" paying jobs, someone is referred to a teenager's 7:50 an hour job to try to support a family. No wonder you see so much violence, recent break-ins in fast food restaurant chains and so on. At 7.50 an hour, gas at almost 4.00 a gallon, rent, utilities, care of your family and so on...... it's only a matter of time that people will go postal! ! God help us all, and as I always mention, DON'T LOSE HOPE! I believe that The Almighty will give us at least a few more months of hope here, and in the meantime, He Will also find each of us a decent job that we will appreciate and be able to live upon as proud citizens. In the mean time, I, as well as LanahB, would appreciate any more input from anyone as to when the consideration of this bill may take place. Thank you and God bless you all.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 PM

By the way, this is the home page for the North Carolina General Assembly, Both House Of Representatives and Senate. My previous 2 links for some reason don't come up.

North Carolina General Assembly - Home Page

Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 PM

Below is The House Of Representatives Members' Page

North Carolina General Assembly - NC House of Representatives Members (2011-2012 Session)

Below is The Senate Members' Page

North Carolina General Assembly - NC Senators (2011-2012 Session)

Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 PM

23 posts, read 32,760 times
What Happens after 4th Tier

Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 PM

Tekkan3000, as it stands now without the passage of the upcoming bill, we will loose EB as of the 16th of April, so after Tier 4, we're on our own. That's why I urge you and everyone else to use my list above and contact these representatives and senators and urge support of House Bill H676.

A quick memo: Today Missouri, which was the only state to willfully renounce their EB benefits due to a lone senator's filibuster, changed their position and will be restoring the benefits. Indiana's General Assembly is also working to change their law from a 2 to 3 year TUR lookback. I urge everyone to write to every senator and representative from my list above. By voicing our opinion, we have nothing to lose and possibly a lot to gain....

Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 AM

"Too many misguided and/or uninformed state legislators are either choosing to deny their state's unemployed workers UI benefits they so desperately need, or are simply neglecting to deal with the issue that will come into play after they adjourn," Judy Conti, a lobbyist for the National Employment Law Project, wrote in an email. "There is an easy legislative fix for all of this, the money has been appropriated, and it is of the utmost importance to very vulnerable citizens in their states."

This is a quote from a Huffington Post News Article on April 6.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 AM

264 posts, read 329,316 times
Cemmy, if you have been working part-time since you were laid off from your teaching job and therefore drawing less than the full weekly unemployment benefit amount, you will be able to draw more weeks of benefits. So ignore the 79 week thing. Go by the dollar amount you're allowed on each tier. Divide this amount by whatever you actually are drawing each week and this will give you the number of weeks for that tier. Any remainder will be given as a small amount at the end of that tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or