U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,145,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Pardon me for jumping in here, but some of you seem pretty knowledgeable about NC unemployment stuff, and maybe you can answer this. I haven't really found anything online about this....
Say someone in NC has been getting unemployment. But during this time they were diagnosed with cancer. Can they apply for disability instead? Because there is a high possibility this person will never be able to work again. And they are scared to ask in fear of losing what little they are drawing for unemployment. Anyone have any ideas I can share with them???
Thank you
Sure, someone can apply for DI at any time they feel necessary. Having applied for disability does not necessarily automatically mean the UI benefits would end. However, having said that, one must still be able and available for work and seeking work in order to receive UI.

The point at which the disability is approved is the point at which one needs to stop filing UI, even if no DI payment is received for months after that. The reason is because much of the time when you do start receiving DI payments, it would be retroactive to the approval date, and if you've continued receiving UI all along, you would have been double-paid for those weeks. Can't have both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdrt185 View Post
jd;jr Any word on tier 4 yet??
Not a peep. Sorry.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,233,977 times
Thank you. I just didn't know if it were possible to go from one to the other in this circumstance.This person is willing, and I guess able for the most part...still breathing should be a qualification I suppose. Still hunting jobs but so hard for find ANYthing in their area. They didn't know if cancer would automatically discount them from their unemployment, or if would even be something that could eventually qualify them for disability. I will suggest an attorney ...again.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 PM

8 posts, read 20,741 times
Default jdljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Not a peep. Sorry.
thank u for the info, i notice my claim status went from unknown to regular active claim and my euc still says yes for eligibility and no active issues. i also noticed that my benefit amount went from 202 down to 137 again. my question is will tier 3 benefits kick in this week, i usually receive a determination letter by now but i havent so far this week. another question i have is why my benefit amount was 202 all 52 weeks for last benefit year and 137 for first 27 weeks of 2nd benefit year, then jumped back up to 202 for 6.5 weeks of 2nd tier and now back to 137. any info would be appreciated. thanks, ritchie.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 PM

763 posts, read 1,638,223 times
So jdljr, are you saying no one has received tier 4...is it because more programming is not complete? My DH called today because I guess his tier 3 is exhausted...and they told him he was eligible for no more at all. My understanding is that he still gets tier 4...whenever its ready.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchie09 View Post
thank u for the info, i notice my claim status went from unknown to regular active claim and my euc still says yes for eligibility and no active issues. i also noticed that my benefit amount went from 202 down to 137 again. my question is will tier 3 benefits kick in this week, i usually receive a determination letter by now but i havent so far this week. another question i have is why my benefit amount was 202 all 52 weeks for last benefit year and 137 for first 27 weeks of 2nd benefit year, then jumped back up to 202 for 6.5 weeks of 2nd tier and now back to 137. any info would be appreciated. thanks, ritchie.
Ritchie, Unfortunately, I really need to see the claim before making any guesses. I think I know why your claim was $202 and went down to $137, though, that's because your high quarter in the base period of this benefit year was less than the high quarter in the base period of the previous benefit year. To calculate weekly benefit amount of regular UI, you need to take the high quarter in the base period and divide by 26. It's not uncommon for the weekly benefit amount in the 2nd benefit year to be less than that of the first benefit year.

Can't really answer anything else without actually seeing your claim. Your best bet is to visit your local office and sit down with someone that can explain it to you firsthand.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
So jdljr, are you saying no one has received tier 4...is it because more programming is not complete? My DH called today because I guess his tier 3 is exhausted...and they told him he was eligible for no more at all. My understanding is that he still gets tier 4...whenever its ready.
Yes, there is still a Tier 4 out there, which is UP TO 6 additional weeks of EUC for those states whose unemployment is above 8.5%, which North Carolina's is. No one has received Tier 4 yet. I asked my Manager in a staff meeting today if there was any word on Tier 4 programming or the "pull forward" programming and she shook her head and simply said NO. There is also an additional week of Tier 2 for which the programming is not yet complete. At this point because the programming is not complete on either, your husband's benefits are exhausted. When the Tier 4 programming is complete and he gets his Tier 4 and one week Tier 2 benefits, then benefits will be officially exhausted until or unless there are more extensions.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 AM

72 posts, read 233,065 times
Quick questions:

a) I would have asked the unemployment office these questions, but they don't pick up the phone or I get some automated response. What is the best number to use to call the unemployment office?

b) I have accepted a job offer, but don't start for another week. Do I still continue to file certifications for the weeks I am unemployed (up until my first day working)?

c) How do I alert the unemployment office that I have found employment?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
Quick questions:

a) I would have asked the unemployment office these questions, but they don't pick up the phone or I get some automated response. What is the best number to use to call the unemployment office?

b) I have accepted a job offer, but don't start for another week. Do I still continue to file certifications for the weeks I am unemployed (up until my first day working)?

c) How do I alert the unemployment office that I have found employment?

Thanks!
a) The best number is your local office number. Eventually you WILL get through. I know my small office has FIVE phone lines, and while they're sometimes all being used, it's rare. I don't know if larger offices have more lines or not, or if we have an unusual number of lines. I'm just sayin.

b) Yes, for any weeks that you are unemployed, up until you begin accepted employment, you can collect UI as long as you're still looking for employment. So make two contacts the last week you're unemployed and certify for the week.

c) Just let whomever you speak to know that you've accepted a job. They should get some basic information from you such as employer name and start date and then make a note on your claim profile. They should also instruct you to stop filing after the start date, which I'm sure you're already aware of.

Most importantly, congratulations on your new job!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 AM

72 posts, read 233,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
a) The best number is your local office number. Eventually you WILL get through. I know my small office has FIVE phone lines, and while they're sometimes all being used, it's rare. I don't know if larger offices have more lines or not, or if we have an unusual number of lines. I'm just sayin.

b) Yes, for any weeks that you are unemployed, up until you begin accepted employment, you can collect UI as long as you're still looking for employment. So make two contacts the last week you're unemployed and certify for the week.

c) Just let whomever you speak to know that you've accepted a job. They should get some basic information from you such as employer name and start date and then make a note on your claim profile. They should also instruct you to stop filing after the start date, which I'm sure you're already aware of.

Most importantly, congratulations on your new job!
Thanks for the answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or