U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 AM
 
264 posts, read 329,316 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelp View Post
As I previously mentioned, when you contact the NC General Assembly you need to focus on the financial benefit: e.g. state taxes paid on the federal dollars the 37k receive, economic impact of all of those households staying in NC to look for a job while they have EB instead of moving, etc. Heart-wrenching stories just aren't going to cut it.
I agree that a reauthorization of EB Benefits is a win-win for everybody in the state. They will eventually see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 AM
 
169 posts, read 287,492 times
Reputation: 59
Default Tensions high

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth2816 View Post
Dear Prof

Nowhere in anything I wrote was about a "scam". Nothing I said was about a rip-off. What I DID say was there are alternatives dude.

Anyway, you cannot really rip off the "food stamp people". You either qualify or you do not.

I think you took great liberties with what I wrote.
Maybe you are right,

tensions are VERY high right now. I hate my benefits used as a bargaining chips!, and I don't know where to put this anger. I have written official after official. I have written the local media, which has actually done a fairly good job at exposing the situation for what it is(some of the stories seek to humanize the unemployed by providing stories about their struggle.

I am happy that H 676 is still a possibility. This week is a big week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 AM
 
244 posts, read 280,826 times
Reputation: 35
YouTube - Real people, real consequences


Interview with 2 of NC unemployed - (Governor Beverly Perdue YouTube Channel)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
 
169 posts, read 287,492 times
Reputation: 59
Default Just got an email from Rep. Susan Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post

YouTube - Real people, real consequences


Interview with 2 of NC unemployed - (Governor Beverly Perdue YouTube Channel)
This was a particularly effective political tool that Gov Purdue is using. It is of course showing her solidarity in supporting the unemployed, and also by default, slinging mud at Republicans for their selfishness and low-life extortion tactics.

It amazes me that this is going on in 2011, with the unemployment crisis so very REAL and prevalent in American society. I am growing scared for the government foundations of this country. I am not a conspiracy theorist, and I'm not interested in unfounded gloom and doom predictions, but what is happening in our country from the top to the bottom is terrifying.

I just got a detailed email from Rep. Fischer. She was informative, polite, and honest. She said that she believes in H 676, and hopes that something will be done by the end of the week. She commended the Governor for her astute and strong resolution, and she hoped that EB will be extended as it should be. She mentioned that their were quite a bit of people in Raleigh yesterday protesting and concerned.

Shame on the Republican party for intertwining state and federal interests, and playing with lives of struggling Americans. Things will work out, they have to...right? It wouldn't be dragging on as long as it has if it was just going to be a dead issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
 
264 posts, read 329,316 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post
This was a particularly effective political tool that Gov Purdue is using. It is of course showing her solidarity in supporting the unemployed, and also by default, slinging mud at Republicans for their selfishness and low-life extortion tactics.

It amazes me that this is going on in 2011, with the unemployment crisis so very REAL and prevalent in American society. I am growing scared for the government foundations of this country. I am not a conspiracy theorist, and I'm not interested in unfounded gloom and doom predictions, but what is happening in our country from the top to the bottom is terrifying.

I just got a detailed email from Rep. Fischer. She was informative, polite, and honest. She said that she believes in H 676, and hopes that something will be done by the end of the week. She commended the Governor for her astute and strong resolution, and she hoped that EB will be extended as it should be. She mentioned that their were quite a bit of people in Raleigh yesterday protesting and concerned.

Shame on the Republican party for intertwining state and federal interests, and playing with lives of struggling Americans. Things will work out, they have to...right? It wouldn't be dragging on as long as it has if it was just going to be a dead issue?
For the couple of weeks or so that we've been aware of the EB trigger issue, I've never for a moment believed that this would not turn out fine at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 11:05 AM
 
244 posts, read 280,826 times
Reputation: 35
"In the wake of Saturday’s storms, in this moment of sobriety, legislature needs to put away the childish reasoning and prove that they are capable of governing."

The Daily Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM
 
24 posts, read 28,859 times
Reputation: 16
Has any one heard of Senate Bill (SB737). What is it. I know it has something to do with Unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 AM
 
264 posts, read 329,316 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicntrd View Post
Has any one heard of Senate Bill (SB737). What is it. I know it has something to do with Unemployment.
This is a new one. A new bill and a new trick by the Republicans. They're trying to rewrite some of the basic eligibility requirements for receiving unemployment benefits to include at least 5 hours a week of volunteer service and drug testing in certain situations (among other things).

I don't know if this violates the federal laws on unemployment benefits. Recently, within the past year, the federal government has offered the states large monetary incentives to expand eligibility. Most states, including North Carolina, willingly updated their eligibility requirements and took the federal incentives.

A few more bumps on the road . . .

Who knows . . . if Republicans stick by the new requirements they want to impose . . . could this wind up in court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM
 
187 posts, read 235,212 times
Reputation: 32
It doesn't have to do with our EB issue here, but what it is is a stipulation introduced by the republicans that says that effective July of 2011, in order to receive your unemployment compensation, you have to sign in to at least 5 weekly hours of volunteer work. This was apparently filed by the republicans yesterday. It brings my nerves to an edge knowing that they focus on such issues rather than trying to amend the situation with the EB....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 PM
 
14 posts, read 19,463 times
Reputation: 12
Check the end, 10 hours a week after 52 weeks, and an acceptable place to volunteer is with religious organizations. Wonderful to have the privileged always trying to make it just a little harder for those of us who are struggling, and even the harder to read that they're arguing it on moral grounds of it being "good for us". The sheer hubris...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:57 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top