Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 AM

20 posts, read 26,892 times

Advertisements

My forecast is that there will be a compromise. Remember, negotiation means nobody gets everything they want, but everybody gets something they want. the republicans REALLY want their budget issue passed. How this stacks up against EB for such a minority, I cannot say. Maybe there will be more needed to sweeten the pot for Perdue to settle.

In other words, I've not heard any "final" language, just mutual mudlsinging, which is GOOD because as long as either side can make some political currency from it, it ain't dead you know? I DO believe Perdue is "talking to the GA". I DO believe the issue has gotten adequate media coverage so that it will not just die off peacfully.

Every e-mail from the Repubs I read urges us to call the Governor. if this were a done deal to them, why would they not just say so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 PM

174 posts, read 313,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Remember, last year at the federal level, when Republicans over and over again balked at extending unemployment benefits. But they eventually agreed to it.

It's the same now on the state level. Don't get tied up with what they say on a day by day level.

It will happen. They will change the EB trigger rules to allow a 3-year look back. It might or might not happen next week. It might or might not happen the week after. But It Will Happen.

Just stay calm, everybody. It Will Happen.
thanks for the positive reinforcement. They did eventually agree but not all of them especially BURR. He voted against it even when some of the republicans changed their minds. I'm just afraid that the GA is more like Burr. Sorry for the negativity but I'm seeing the affects of them not having something in place personally. It's hard seeing people you care about being forced to do desparate things.

I guess I should put my chips on the stories that they ARE talking and negotiating.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:07 PM

169 posts, read 314,854 times
Default Gas prices!! ahahhaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
Here's the latest email response from Bob Rucho...obviously doesn't care:
>
> The Governor chose not to continue the unemployment payments to the needy
> families.
>
> The General Assembly responded quickly to the UI problem and also acted to
> protect the vitality of the NC economy and all working families.
>
> The economy is fragile and is being hurt by the rising gas prices which
> could lead to a more severe recession. We are taking the necessary action to
> add certainty to the government policy and prevent the loss of many other
> jobs. The Governor either doesn't understand or just doesn't care about the
> $3B budget shortfall and severity of our economic problems.
>
> Making the right decision now is critical to our future prosperity.
>
> Contact the Governor today and tell her to do the right thing for all the
> people.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bob

My response below:

I have already contacted the governor. I am disturbed by the actions of both sides in this issue.
I don't appreciate that my son and I are being used as bargaining chips on an issue that is completely non related.
By combining these two issues you are not only damaging the lives of North Carolinian families, you are stopping the flow of over $16 million into the NC economy to help support our businesses as well.
I am an Independent swing voter and this game playing will be remembered at election time by myself and thousands of others.
Please use your human compassion and logic and push this clean bill through to extend EB benefits. You can work out the budget with the governor without holding us hostage in the process.
The rising gas prices....really?!

Is that all this BOB could think of?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:20 PM

169 posts, read 314,854 times
Default This is the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth2816 View Post
My forecast is that there will be a compromise. Remember, negotiation means nobody gets everything they want, but everybody gets something they want. the republicans REALLY want their budget issue passed. How this stacks up against EB for such a minority, I cannot say. Maybe there will be more needed to sweeten the pot for Perdue to settle.

In other words, I've not heard any "final" language, just mutual mudlsinging, which is GOOD because as long as either side can make some political currency from it, it ain't dead you know? I DO believe Perdue is "talking to the GA". I DO believe the issue has gotten adequate media coverage so that it will not just die off peacfully.

Every e-mail from the Repubs I read urges us to call the Governor. if this were a done deal to them, why would they not just say so?

As ABCDE and Greg have also said. This is reminiscent of last years federal unemployment extension battle(it mirrors it exactly to be honest). They waited until the last minute, and then even a bit longer before a compromise was reached. Their has not been any "final" language, because the situation is obviously going to be rectified. This case appeals to some sort of logic. The governor does not want to lose a voting base who sympathize with the unemployed(any intelligent denizen of North Carolina).

We cannot help that we were laid off, many of us have been forced to take different directions in our lives because of this. Personally, I used this opportunity to educate myself about my government, my voice within my government, and the consequences of the negligence paid towards the infrastructure of our country. I am fascinated that people are even surprised at the predicament our legislative history has gotten us into. Although many Americans have jobs, where has that stereotypical preconceived notion of the American dream gone?! To working overseas? To ingenuity..who is going to invent the next rubber-band, or velcro?! I believe it is a bit of both. We all have to think outside the box to facilitate our dreams.

Keep hope up, hopefully we will get an extension to allow us to survive a bit longer.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:30 PM

264 posts, read 363,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
thanks for the positive reinforcement. They did eventually agree but not all of them especially BURR. He voted against it even when some of the republicans changed their minds. I'm just afraid that the GA is more like Burr. Sorry for the negativity but I'm seeing the affects of them not having something in place personally. It's hard seeing people you care about being forced to do desparate things.

I guess I should put my chips on the stories that they ARE talking and negotiating.
The NC situation is even more of a no-brainer for legislators to vote for extended benefits because:

1) Our unemployment rate -- at 9.7% -- is higher than national average.

2) Funds for EB are not coming out of NC's pocket. Through 2011, it's 100% federally funded.

It doesn't surprise me at all that there's been bumps in the road. Republicans wouldn't be Republicans if they didn't balk at: 1) Democratic bills 2) commonsense solutions.

Republicans had expected Governor Perdue to immediately give in to their budget demands on their alternative bill because isn't that what Democrats usually do -- cave? And after Governor Perdue's veto, of course they couldn't immediately reach agreement with her on H676 because that would make them look stupid and weak. So now they're letting some time go by, floating alternative bills, before they do the inevitable: re-authorize EB benefits in North Carolina.

For those who are needing to file an initial EB claim and are unable to do so at the present time, this is rough. But if federal bill 589(?) passes, that is expected to be retroactive, so if you can hang on, it will be okay.

While we wait for all this to play out: Stay calm. Enjoy today. Be happy.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:40 PM

249 posts, read 304,845 times
Default If you can make it to Raleigh on Wednesday...

My name is Jeff Giertz, and I am an aide to North Carolina state Senator Martin Nesbitt (D-Buncombe).

I am contacting you today because recently, you contacted Senator Nesbitt’s colleague, Sen. Charlie Dannelly, to share your concerns about the expiration of Unemployment Insurance Extended Benefits.

As I’m sure you’ve seen in the news, partisan politics have so far poisoned the debate over fixing the Extended Benefits problem. So, last week, in an effort to rise above politics, Senator Nesbitt was joined by Republican Senator Fletcher Hartsell to introduce a bipartisan bill (Senate Bill 584) that would make a simple change the state’s unemployment formula to allow the 37,000 North Carolinians (including yourself) who have now gone without Extended Benefits to (1) continue receiving unemployment benefits and (2) receive the benefits retroactively to the day they were lost. This bill is a simple, standalone bill to fix the Extended Benefits problem you are experiencing.

Sadly, the General Assembly’s Republican leadership still seems intent on using the unemployment issue as political leverage in an ongoing feud with the Governor. Despite bipartisan support for Senate Bill 584, Republican leaders have not agreed to hear this bill, nor have they given any indication that they will ever allow it to be heard.

So, next Wednesday, April 27th, at 2:00pm in Room 1124 of the North Carolina Legislative Building, the North Carolina Senate Democratic Caucus is organizing an informal public hearing on Senate Bill 584 in an effort to draw greater public attention to the hardships faced by the long-term unemployed and the bipartisan bill that can fix this problem.

I want to invite you to attend this hearing if you are able. We are planning to open the discussion to the public to allow unemployed individuals directly affected by the Extended Benefits crisis to speak on how this issue is affecting them.

To comply with Senate rules, this hearing must remain informal in nature; and since it is an informal hearing, we will be unable vote on the legislation or move it forward in the legislative process. However, our hope is that the public attention attracted by this hearing will go a long way towards breaking the political stalemate over fixing the Extended Benefits problem.

Again, here are the details:

Informal Hearing on Unemployment Extended Benefits
Wednesday April 27th, 2011
2:00pm
North Carolina Legislative Building, Room 1124
16 W. Jones St.
Raleigh, NC

If you are able to attend, please RSVP to me at jeff.giertz@ncleg.net or call me at (919) 408-7476.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email or call.

Thank you, and Happy Easter.

-Jeff

PS – Here’s a little more information about Senate Bill 584 from WRAL-TV: Dems, jobless call for benefits vote :: WRAL.com

Old 04-22-2011, 09:20 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Funds for EB are not coming out of NC's pocket. Through 2011, it's 100% federally funded.
Federal funds are generated by federal taxes which are paid by citizens of all 50 states including N.C. People like me. EB isn't free. Somebody is paying for it. That's why there is a budget issue.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:50 PM

187 posts, read 259,101 times
A big thanks to all members here for your continued support on the EB issue, as well as the new information and articles posted. We are all hoping for some positive results on the issue come next week. Happy Easter to all...

Old 04-23-2011, 05:15 AM

3 posts, read 3,811 times
Default Money Due

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Federal funds are generated by federal taxes which are paid by citizens of all 50 states including N.C. People like me. EB isn't free. Somebody is paying for it. That's why there is a budget issue.
If you and others have "paid for it" then we (unemployed, also tax payers) need to receive "it"

Old 04-23-2011, 06:31 AM

43 posts, read 56,672 times
Also - yes, we know it comes from the federal government. Like beenbroken said - we have paid the federal government for these benefits. They've been appropriated - do you think the federal government will just put the money we don't use back and try to pay their debt with it? If we who paid for it in the past don't use it now that we need it, the government .will just send it to someplace like Libya (ie the most recent $25 million dollars to the rebels, some of which will be used to buy UNIFORMS of all things!). We're just trying to survive. If people continue to be unemployed and the economy tanks, then there won't be "gifts" for anyone, Libya and others, anymore.

This thread is for those of us who want and NEED info. on the EB issue, as I have been so politely reminded of before. Please don't come on here and start junk just to see if you can get replies that will cut off the thread.

Thank you.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-23-2011 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: discussing other members
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina